Saffiano--what's your general opinion?

i had a small prada saffiano crossbody bag and sold it after just ca. 3 months of use. i tried to love it but the leather had an awful chemical smell and the craftmanship was not good at all. the stitching on the strap was rough that it ruined a favourite sweater of mine. saffiano just looks plasticky to me. it is missing that luxe factor. i am just not convinced by saffiano at all. i realized that i am not into embossed leather at all with chanel caviar being an exeption and even with chanel, i love lambskin more. i learned that i appreciate smooth leathers more.

When it does get scratched or damaged its impossible to disguise. I had a saffiano briefcase at one point which my cat scratched badly while playing with the strap. It looked awful. You can't polish marks out like you can with softer leather.

right, like prada. i own a CK one and a Dooney one, so in the $100 range max. i don't consider saffiano a lux enough material to warrant high-end prices. just my opinion on saffiano. not worth a high-end price.

Thank you. This were also my thoughts.. I don't really want to pay more for saffiano leather when other brands can do the same just cheaper . Even tough the prada saffiano has a better quality and feels more like a real leather better than the mk saffiano..

I should not own it.
Because seeing it sparks an inner challenge--
How many different condiments, liquids, sauces, cosmetics, etc. could I pour onto this plasticky-stuff,
until it stained or bubbled-up in defiance?

The challenge might take months.
So I'd rather rub-out scuffs in natural leather, to save both time & bottles of mustard.

i´m wondering if epi leather from LV is similiar or the same as saffiano? does anyone know that? I looks to me like saffiano but I haven´t touched it.. Is there a difference?

Ok, so I guess I am really not alone in this. You guys nailed what I was thinking about it, that it was not coming across to me as a particularly luxurious material, but more along the lines of a durable/workhorse type instead. In a wallet/SLG it might be very appealing, but maybe not in a bag. I am more the "smooshy" or pebbled type of leather as well. I don't tend to go for very structured bags.

Now, I see why it would be appealing to many people, in terms of not worrying about it getting wet or beaten up, but it isn't my type. I would stick to a nylon like MZ Wallace for that, I think, but I just kept seeing this popping up all over and was wondering if I was missing something gaining in popularity, or at least gaining within the market.

That nails the appeal overall, at least i think so. Again, the two pieces i have it in.. those are what they are, my wallet is a workhorse i like how it's somewhat rigid and not floppy... plus being a wristlet i can bang it about and not worry about scratching it.

The crossbody was an errand runner, same applies toss and go... I have some Longchamp LP nylon bags but those are prone to corner wear so make me far more nervous to use in carts(risk of picks ) than saffiano.

My dh HATES saffiano, he thinks leather should smell like leather lol. SO i stick to mainly lovely strong leather bags... those he loves buying me. :biggrin:

This material is just for people who like structured bag .. Everyone else who like more slouchy and more leather feel bags will not like it ..for me i love saffiano not only because it's worry free i like the look and the feel of it .. Not every saffiano bag feels like plastic .. It depends on the brand and on the type of the bag..some are smoother some not ..but it will smooth in time.. I love also the colours on saffiano bags.. They look better on that material than on "normal" leather..Colours especially brighter colours like pink coral silver gold ... look better on saffiano than on normal leather bags because they don't shine ... my saffiano bags don't smell.. I don't like the smell of normal leather .. I get always headache from it .. I like also that thos ebags never looses their shape but i would not spent more than 400 euros on it just because mk produces them very good and the quality differences between prada and mk are not sooo huge to pay 1700 euros on a bag which can get heavy .. I would rather spend it on lv canvas bags because they are so lightweighted and feel like leather ( not like plastic as mostly used on mk monogram bags and oter Monogramm synthetic bags) .. I saffiano is good if you tend to use the strap for carrying on shoulder or crossbody very often.. I think they look good wearing it crossbody or on the shoulder with the stap..
I woul nit buy only shoulder bags in saffiano

Reactions: Namwan-
I have three Prada Saffiano bags and love each one. 😍They have structure but certainly aren't hard because real saffiano leather is actually made with a high quality calfskin with a wax finish. The bags are amazing because they are water and stain resistant. I enjoy wearing them every time because they are so stylish and durable. Win win!

What many cheaper brands are calling saffiano can sometimes be a decent grade of leather but is more often a lower quality leather or a faux leather (polyurethane). In these cases it's often hard / stiff because of the cheaper materials or the way in which it's been processed. While it achieves a somewhat similar look, it can be too "shiny" because of the plasticky material and coating. Also the lower quality calfskins are often thinner resulting in a lower quality feel to the bag. I made the huge mistake of buying a so called saffiano Badgley Mishka bag. No way I'm carrying it. It doesn't have close to the feel or look of the Prada bags. It's a plasticky, rigid box. Now, of course it was much less expensive. But the trade off in price in this case was not worth the difference in quality.

So I agree with most of the posters. Not quite saffiano is a way for many brands to try to approximate the luxe look and performance of quality saffiano. But unfortunately, it often is hard, strangely textured, and looks a little off.

I had 1-2 leather bags and the smell was killing me therefore i needed to sell them... I couldn even be in my living room in the first couple of days or 1-2 weeks because the smell of the leather couch was also killig me .. And all these thing were not cheap .. I just don't like the smell of leather :smile: it seems also that saffiano bags have more colourful bags than "normal" leather ones .. Maybe that's also a reason why so many buy it .. As it is now trendy to wear colourful bags.. So if you just like the normal colours like black white beige .. the smell and slouchy look than the normal leather is the best