Royalty & their Jewelry

:faint:

I love that black diamond. It blows my mind that these type of jewels exist and that people have worn them and there are people out there with money enough to support a lifestyle that includes jewels like this.

The Imperial Orb of Russia
The Imperial Orb was made of "red gold" for the Empress Catherine II the Great's Coronation in 1762. It is a polished hollow ball with with a cross and is encircled with the two rows of large diamonds and the sapphire on the top weighs about 47 carats.

Attachments

• io.jpg
    io.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 1,595
Shah Diamond
It belonged to Nizam Shah of Ahmednagar. In 1591, Shah ordered carving on one of the facets of the diamond which read "Burhan Nizam Shah the Second Year 1000" (=1591 CE).This is the first inscription of The Shah Diamond. That same year the Great Moghul Emperor Akbar occupied Ahmadnagar and seized the diamond. A number of years later Akbar's grandson Shah Jahan came to the throne and commanded that another inscription be carved: "Shah Jahan, The son of Shah Jahangir Year 1051" (equivalent to 1641 CE). In 1738, Nadir Shah attacked India seized the diamond, and took it back with him to Persia. The diamond stayed in Persia for nearly a century until in 1826 the third inscription was engraved on the third facet "The ruler of the Qajar Fath 'Ali Shah Sultan Year 1242".In 1829 the Russian diplomat and writer Alexandr Griboyedov was murdered in the capital of Persia Tehran. The Russian government demanded severe punishment of those responsible. In fear the court of Fath Ali Shah sent the Shah's grandson Khusro Mirza to Saint Petersburg, where he gave the diamond to the Russian Tsar Nicholas I as a present. It was then kept among the Russian Crown Jewels in the Diamond Room at the Winter Palace in St. Petersburg until the Russian Revolution and the overthrow of the Romanov Dynasty on 2 March 1917. The diamond along with the other treasures was removed taken to Moscow and placed in the Kremlin Diamond Fund. It remains there today in the Kremlin

Attachments

• shah-diamond.jpg
    shah-diamond.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 1,617
  • The-Shah-Diamond.jpg
    The-Shah-Diamond.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 1,774
  • sh.jpg
    sh.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 1,750