RIP HM The Queen - Elizabeth II 1926-2022

Yeah.....not going to lie I am a little concerned about this. Prince Philip I'm also a bit worried about.....this guy looks nothing like him!

I enjoyed seasons 1 and 2 the most, 3 and 4 felt much more political to me, as opposed to personal.

The Crown and the Queen were written by the same person weren't they? It's interesting that in the Queen he's very sympathetic towards her, but the Crown is less so. I suppose they capture different times.
I didn't know that about the writer.

I disliked the way the Queen was portrayed during Olivia Coleman's stint on the show, even though I love Olivia Coleman. The show was just less interesting to me and it felt like the writers stripped the Queen of all her grit, power, and personality. I don't remember much other than that, tbh. Oh, and Diana's character seemed to consist entirely of pouty looks & short blond hair.

Even if I wanted to I couldn't because all I see when looking at Imelda Staunton is Dolores Umbridge :lol:

I know, right? I just don't see her as QEII. Not at all.

Also, I've kind of wondered if all the principle actors and actresses in the show understand that they will likely get the cold shoulder from the royal family forever, never be invited to BP, never receive any honors from the King ever, and never have Will or Kate turn up at one of their premieres. Maybe they don't care. Maybe they just need the work and the paycheck. It just seems like a pretty big bridge to burn if you are otherwise a celebrated British actor or actress.

8E24D38E-E9CC-4B79-B016-6D62BDC0552B.jpeg
In a tribute to Queen Elizabeth II, a Vancouver man has carved three pumpkin portraits of the late monarch, and is making the designs available for free online.

Jeremy Burghall has been using the gourds as his canvass since he was 10, practicing and honing his craft during the spooky season each year for the past three decades.

"I prefer to use actual pumpkins. There's a lot of people out there that do foam pumpkins, which actually allows you to do even more detailed work, but I prefer to stick to the real deal," he told CTV News.

His inspiration came from the closing credits of the TV show Roseanne, where the cast members' realistic likenesses were carved into jack-o-lanterns.

"It really captivated me and I thought, 'I want to try to see if I can do that,'" he said.​

"I tried and it worked and I just kept going at it year after year, getting more and more skilled at it."

In recent years, he's focused his carvings on celebrities or recognizable figures who have passed away. This year, after the death of the Queen, he decided to create multiple portraits in her memory. Each portrait, he said, took roughly five hours to carve.

"I was trying to see if I could capture her different ages. It's a little bit tricky because some photos work better than others," he explained.

pumpkin-portraits-of-the-queen-1-6130960-1667082250414.jpg
This photo submitted by Jeremy Burghall shows three pumpkin portraits of Queen Elizabeth II that he carved for Halloween in 2022.

While the chance to visit a display and see his work at a rented venue in Burnaby has passed, Burghall is making the stencils available at no cost through his website for anyone who wants to try to create one of their own. Other designs are available for $5 each, and feature real-life figures such as Betty White, Bernie Sanders and Beyonce, as well as fictional characters from TV shows like The X-Files and Star Trek.

View attachment 5643042
In a tribute to Queen Elizabeth II, a Vancouver man has carved three pumpkin portraits of the late monarch, and is making the designs available for free online.

Jeremy Burghall has been using the gourds as his canvass since he was 10, practicing and honing his craft during the spooky season each year for the past three decades.

"I prefer to use actual pumpkins. There's a lot of people out there that do foam pumpkins, which actually allows you to do even more detailed work, but I prefer to stick to the real deal," he told CTV News.

His inspiration came from the closing credits of the TV show Roseanne, where the cast members' realistic likenesses were carved into jack-o-lanterns.

"It really captivated me and I thought, 'I want to try to see if I can do that,'" he said.​

"I tried and it worked and I just kept going at it year after year, getting more and more skilled at it."

In recent years, he's focused his carvings on celebrities or recognizable figures who have passed away. This year, after the death of the Queen, he decided to create multiple portraits in her memory. Each portrait, he said, took roughly five hours to carve.

"I was trying to see if I could capture her different ages. It's a little bit tricky because some photos work better than others," he explained.

pumpkin-portraits-of-the-queen-1-6130960-1667082250414.jpg
This photo submitted by Jeremy Burghall shows three pumpkin portraits of Queen Elizabeth II that he carved for Halloween in 2022.

While the chance to visit a display and see his work at a rented venue in Burnaby has passed, Burghall is making the stencils available at no cost through his website for anyone who wants to try to create one of their own. Other designs are available for $5 each, and feature real-life figures such as Betty White, Bernie Sanders and Beyonce, as well as fictional characters from TV shows like The X-Files and Star Trek.
What a talent! I like the one in the middle the most.

In Mexico tomorrow is Dia de Muertos, and families are preparing for the annual visits from their relatives who have passed. Other civic offrendas as are common as well, dedicated to prominent well-loved people, so they will be remembered as well.

Today I was walking around looking at some offeendas and I found one for Queen Elizabeth!

Traditionally they include symbolic items, such as water, salt, a mirror, copal, marigolds, and other items; each one has pictures of the deceased and items from their life and things favored — food and drink, etc.

Enjoy! viva México!!!

5CF7E0FA-8DC7-47B4-941E-E48E590C2C16.jpeg

6AA23DB2-4CC3-4EE5-A4AC-8339F1626214.jpeg

A62DAE89-186E-4377-B84B-41E4834A17A7.jpeg

0C6E2C80-FF95-4E25-BDFC-500E6D17907B.jpeg

E17B0AFD-6884-4AB3-99C2-C00DA9BA005A.jpeg

260E6725-506F-4C11-901A-43858AD71939.jpeg

3BF607FD-7807-44FA-9DF7-112DD374747E.jpeg

A7D99C84-06AD-4326-9447-0FFC94429505.jpeg

In Mexico tomorrow is Dia de Muertos, and families are preparing for the annual visits from their relatives who have passed. Other civic offrendas as are common as well, dedicated to prominent well-loved people, so they will be remembered as well.

Today I was walking around looking at some offeendas and I found one for Queen Elizabeth!

Traditionally they include symbolic items, such as water, salt, a mirror, copal, marigolds, and other items; each one has pictures of the deceased and items from their life and things favored — food and drink, etc.

Enjoy! viva México!!!

View attachment 5643850

View attachment 5643851

View attachment 5643852

View attachment 5643853

View attachment 5643854

View attachment 5643855

View attachment 5643856

View attachment 5643857
That’s very neat! Thank you for sharing!

I will absolutely watch the next season of the crown - it's one of my favourite shows. However, I watch it knowing that it isn't a documentary or factual re-telling. Sometimes I watch it and then go and look at the actual historical event (I'd never heard of the london smog thing, or even Aberfan).
I agree…I will definitely watch, and I do the same…look into the actual history of some events mentioned. It is not factual. I have enjoyed some of the casting more than others…I was not impressed with the actress who portrayed Diana. As far as the actors burning bridges with the Royal Family, who is to say how they will handle their reaction to the show? They do know that it is a fictional portrayal of people and events.

I'm pretty impressed that he carved a statue within such a relatively short amount of time. Does anyone know what was in that niche prior to the statue of QEII being placed there?
There wasn't anything there before.
It's been ready for a while apparently, it was commissioned to celebrate her Platinum Jubilee

I can’t wait to see this I love York anyway ( Mulberry factory shop there lol ) I have watched the stone masons at work over the years as they are constantly doing restoration work they will stop chat and explain what they do how the stone is selected etc- it’s French limestone apparently I thought that would weather badly ?

Reactions: youngster