Riccardo Tisci leaving Burberry; Daniel Lee appointed new CCO

How do you feel about Riccardo Tisci leaving Burberry?

• Great news!!!

• So sad - I thought he was a fabulous fit :(

• Bring back Christoper Bailey! (One can dream...)

• I don't care :)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thank you for sharing the update. I don’t think it’s a good move for the brand to be substantially raising prices. Imo Burberry is not at the same level as other brands regardless of Daniel lee coming on board. Yes their quality is very good but I think their sales will continue to suffer. It wasn’t just the bad designs that stopped me from shopping Burberry the last several years but the price points. I’d rather buy Rtw from other brands if Burberry prices are about the same.

Catch 22.

Prices of a luxury house have to be comparable to competitors or consumers perceive the products as less desirable.

I have vintage bags/travel 1960s-80s and Burberry (or Burberry's as it was then) was amazing quality, same with their outerwear. I wish I had not sold my velvet collar black blazer, I thought it was a bit big, when I think I just styled it wrong. I am a dumbkopf :noggin: .

If Lee can bring back the Britishness (upper-class classics / eccentricity / utility / high quality) back to Burberry he has a chance. If Burberry doesn't let him or it just looks like BV 2.0 Burberry won't recover.

The reasons why CB had to leave (apart from being so greedy) is Burberry sales were already faltering, as a CD, Bailey had nothing new to say. RT was the worst choice and they still didn't let him just get on with it, they basically told him - "do like Gucci". The whole thing was "We need to be like Gucci". The new logo was/is HORRIBLE and they plastered the hideousness over everything.

On the other hand with Burna Boy (Nigerian Afrobeat star - great music) they're trying to go 'street', but also a bit La Sape with his styling (Société des Ambianceurs et des Personnes Élégantes or les Sapeur) which is actually more about the Congo. The whole British in Africa thing is a weird way to go - especially in this cultural climate - but hey, I'm not their target customer (who seems to be a non-consumer (luxury audience) anyway). What do I know? I just want to buy beautiful, quality stuff that lasts for ever in a rainy, temperate climate. On the other hand it's nice to see a collab with a Nigerian star.

I really wish Lee well, he and the team are really going to have to work hard.

So...I went into Burberry yesterday and they are already getting Daniel Lee's line in. They'll put it out on the floor next month.

However, I did get the chance to view and try on some items.
I am not allowed to post my photos or say exactly what items I was shown.

But my first impression is, wow, price increase on RTW for sure! :shocked:
And tbh, I'm not sure how I feel about it. Or I guess, I'm not sure how much I'm willing to pay.

I tried on a light-weight knit. Has a tartan pattern but nothing extraordinary (no embroidery or logo, etc.).
It was about $2200 USD, 88% wool, 11% polyester, forgot about what the remaining 1% lol.
I saw the price before I saw the material and I assumed that there would be some amount of cashmere (or maybe even silk) in it, but nope, none at all.
Also to note, all the RTW is made in Italy now, which is what they said made the prices go up.

However, that day I was trying on a well-tailored beautifully cut suit jacket, fully lined, and the price was $2400 USD. It's from Ricardo's era but to me that's far more worth it than the knit jumper with only a price difference of $200. :huh:

Side note, I can just get a Brunello Cucinelli 100% cashmere basic knit for about $1000 - $2500 USD....so...:P

Thoughts?

So...I went into Burberry yesterday and they are already getting Daniel Lee's line in. They'll put it out on the floor next month.

And tbh, I'm not sure how I feel about it. Or I guess, I'm not sure how much I'm willing to pay.

I tried on a light-weight knit. Has a tartan pattern but nothing extraordinary (no embroidery or logo, etc.).
It was about $2200 USD, 88% wool, 11% polyester, forgot about what the remaining 1% lol.
I saw the price before I saw the material and I assumed that there would be some amount of cashmere (or maybe even silk) in it, but nope, none at all.
Also to note, all the RTW is made in Italy now, which is what they said made the prices go up.

However, that day I was trying on a well-tailored beautifully cut suit jacket, fully lined, and the price was $2400 USD. It's from Ricardo's era but to me that's far more worth it than the knit jumper with only a price difference of $200. :huh:

Side note, I can just get a Brunello Cucinelli 100% cashmere basic knit for about $1000 - $2500 USD....so...:P

Thoughts?
Pricing is such a tricky business. To compete in that designer space, to tell consumers that you belong with the big leagues. Which with the history and impact (trenchcoats) that Burberry has I think they are deserving of competing in that space, you want to set your prices in that same orbit. But you also want to convince people that it's worth it. But you also don't want it astronomically high, but you want to prove your chops as a capital L Luxury brand and not "accessible luxury" so price accordingly. it's like an ouroboros. It's tricky, but what's the other option.

Which sidenote, when people use the phrase "accessible luxury," I feel most people use it in almost an insulting manner? Like labelling it that means they secretly don’t think it's luxury, and the quality is less than luxury.

And you loop back to the issue above, they don't want to be viewed as "accessible luxury," they want to be viewed as Luxury, pure and simple. It's an uphill battle. But I'm invested in this saga. I think they can pull it off, it'll take a year or two, but I think they'll get there.

But I'm biased, I have a soft spot in my heart for Burberry. It was the first "Luxury" retail job I got, and to touch and see the products firsthand was always a lovely experience.

Catch 22.

Prices of a luxury house have to be comparable to competitors or consumers perceive the products as less desirable.

I have vintage bags/travel 1960s-80s and Burberry (or Burberry's as it was then) was amazing quality, same with their outerwear. I wish I had not sold my velvet collar black blazer, I thought it was a bit big, when I think I just styled it wrong. I am a dumbkopf :noggin: .

If Lee can bring back the Britishness (upper-class classics / eccentricity / utility / high quality) back to Burberry he has a chance. If Burberry doesn't let him or it just looks like BV 2.0 Burberry won't recover.

The reasons why CB had to leave (apart from being so greedy) is Burberry sales were already faltering, as a CD, Bailey had nothing new to say. RT was the worst choice and they still didn't let him just get on with it, they basically told him - "do like Gucci". The whole thing was "We need to be like Gucci". The new logo was/is HORRIBLE and they plastered the hideousness over everything.

On the other hand with Burna Boy (Nigerian Afrobeat star - great music) they're trying to go 'street', but also a bit La Sape with his styling (Société des Ambianceurs et des Personnes Élégantes or les Sapeur) which is actually more about the Congo. The whole British in Africa thing is a weird way to go - especially in this cultural climate - but hey, I'm not their target customer (who seems to be a non-consumer (luxury audience) anyway). What do I know? I just want to buy beautiful, quality stuff that lasts for ever in a rainy, temperate climate. On the other hand it's nice to see a collab with a Nigerian star.

I really wish Lee well, he and the team are really going to have to work hard.
None of the luxury label brand wants to sell you stuff that lasts forever - I guess this is why they keep changing to new ugly logos.

None of the luxury label brand wants to sell you stuff that lasts forever - I guess this is why they keep changing to new ugly logos.

I think the aim is to at least give the brand a logo that some people may like. No Burberry lover, young, old and in-between, liked that heavy TB logo that I know. Maybe it was AI generated :biggrin:

Thoughts?

My thoughts are I know where Burberry's outlet is.

I don't buy to please luxury companies - I am not a fan nor a consumer behaviour stat for their data-bank. They cannot 'bank' on my loyalty (anymore) as much as I love many luxury companies venerable heritage, especially British. I wish they would stop trying to manipulate potential consumers - if this was a relationship, Burberry (and others) would be a grandiose narc with coercive behaviour patterns. Give me a product worth buying and I may get out my card. I invest in style, quality, design, and value for money - especially CPW. There's so much competition out there, all I ask is they make something better than anyone else, easy to maintain, desirable to the point of irresistible and flattering :biggrin:.

I love it all! It feels very much like Christopher Bailey but 2020's. It's like there's a warm cozy feeling about the clothes, I don't know if I'm making sense. Riccardo felt very, cold is the wrong word, but the closest word I can think of. Whereas, this feels more inviting, more colourful. I want the studded creeper shoes for myself.

Also the outerwear is beautiful. That blanket cape and shearling bomber jacket

Also, the new font is so lovely.

I just scrolled through the women’s collection. It’s nice seeing a return to basics but kind of meh on the collection. Still trending young gen z. Before it was deers and now we have ducks. It’s not cute, trendy or playful. Sorry just my personal opinion. I’d like them to dump the tb logo and I’d like to see a smaller print with the charging horse and rider. I see too much casual wear. More people are returning to work. We need more pants, jackets business casual. And the price point is a bit high for the brand. I get they want to be taken seriously and play with the big brands but it doesn’t happen over night.

I just scrolled through the women’s collection. It’s nice seeing a return to basics but kind of meh on the collection. Still trending young gen z. Before it was deers and now we have ducks. It’s not cute, trendy or playful. Sorry just my personal opinion. I’d like them to dump the tb logo and I’d like to see a smaller print with the charging horse and rider. I see too much casual wear. More people are returning to work. We need more pants, jackets business casual. And the price point is a bit high for the brand. I get they want to be taken seriously and play with the big brands but it doesn’t happen over night.
I agree this is a Valid point. A really sickening blazer with a waist cinching belt would have made some of this stuff ok for casual workplaces and more versatile.

Oh and a cute little duck brooch