Rethinking your collection....

I've never sold anything and I have let bags rest to find I 'relove' them a couple years later so I know I would have seller's remorse right away. I have a birkin that I don't use often, but when I remind myself that I bought it from the store and paid about half of what a new one costs today it doesn't feel so bad to let it have a rest. Had I sold it a few years ago, I would be thinking how expensive that exact bag is today and plus I know I will love it again. Keep the kelly, it is a timeless classic and if you don't use it for awhile no harm, you will 'find' it again.

Thank you for that comment. This is what I tell myself about my lone 35 raisin box Birkin that sits in the box. All by herself. Alone. Unloved. *Sigh*

I don't post often, but this thread is something I think about all the time - and I echo everything that has already been said! :smile:

I also have a hard time letting go... If I'm thinking of selling a bag that I haven't used in a while, I put it in a box or somewhere out of sight. If I forget it's even there, it means it's time to sell. If I take it out and fall in love with it all over again, I bring it back into rotation. If the bag is uncomfortable or there's something about it that bothers me, I'm quicker to rethink it and put it up for sale. It's better to have that cash in hand than have it sitting on the floor of my closet. Plus someone else can enjoy it more than I did!

I did sell all my other H bags after I got my Birkin to help "fund" the purchase, and don't miss any of them. I'm happy with the Birkin as my one and only H bag. And when my hubbie (fiance at the time) wanted me to sell my Birkin, I convinced him that if I sold it, it would be pretty much impossible to get another one, let alone needing to pay double what I paid 5 years ago! Instead, I sold some other bags that I still liked but didn't love, and don't regret it.

In the end, even though I don't use my Birkin as much as my Balenciagas or PS1, I'd rather have it sit there knowing that I own such a special bag. And when I do take it out, I still love it. :biggrin: Jag, if your Kelly is the same way and you don't need to sell it to fund something else, then keep it and enjoy it!

Thank you all for your advice. I am continuing to debate this, and believe it is an answer I won't resolve any time soon. But it is making me take a harder look at my other bags and it's encouraging me to perhaps let others go. Ugh.

Aww, I'd hate to see part with that beautiful Kelly, then live to regret it. It's kind of rare in that leather and, Lord, have you seen prices of new Kellys lately? YIKES!

Maybe carry it for a week or a few days straight? A Kelly can do different things to an outfit than a HAC/Birkin. I make mine more edgy and casual by combining it with "downtown street style" type of outfits - think of the way Kate Moss or Ines de la Fressange carry theirs. SO chic and can give a distinct Parisian Street Style vibe to your look. Or look at Rachel Zoe rocking her new 40cm Kelly with jeans and a drop-dead heel.
Play with it a little, girl!!

I've never sold anything and I have let bags rest to find I 'relove' them a couple years later so I know I would have seller's remorse right away. I have a birkin that I don't use often, but when I remind myself that I bought it from the store and paid about half of what a new one costs today it doesn't feel so bad to let it have a rest. Had I sold it a few years ago, I would be thinking how expensive that exact bag is today and plus I know I will love it again. Keep the kelly, it is a timeless classic and if you don't use it for awhile no harm, you will 'find' it again.

This is good advice~JAG all you need to do is price new Kellys at the Boutique and that may inspire you to hold on to yours. I was a the H boutique in Waikiki last week and a 28 Chevre Kelly is 7900usd, an Epsom 25 Kelly is 7000usd and a 32 canvas barenia combo Kelly is 7600usd.
In 2009 year my evergrain 32 Kelly was 7700usd~can only imagine the price today~
Kellys are perhaps less user friendly than a HAC or Birkin but they are so classic and with a business/evening suit IMO nothing is more perfect than a Kelly~

Aww, I'd hate to see part with that beautiful Kelly, then live to regret it. It's kind of rare in that leather and, Lord, have you seen prices of new Kellys lately? YIKES!

Maybe carry it for a week or a few days straight? A Kelly can do different things to an outfit than a HAC/Birkin. I make mine more edgy and casual by combining it with "downtown street style" type of outfits - think of the way Kate Moss or Ines de la Fressange carry theirs. SO chic and can give a distinct Parisian Street Style vibe to your look. Or look at Rachel Zoe rocking her new 40cm Kelly with jeans and a drop-dead heel.
Play with it a little, girl!!

Again Agree with Greentea~Kelly prices are through the roof and if you have a special combo that you love think hard before you part with it.
Another data point is some of the Kellys a few years older are of excellent quality~consider that too.

Again Agree with Greentea~Kelly prices are through the roof and if you have a special combo that you love think hard before you part with it.
Another data point is some of the Kellys a few years older are of excellent quality~consider that too.

I agree prices are going through the roof and as far as the quality of the newer made purses IMHO are lacking the quality of past years. If it were me I would definatley keep your Kelly

This is good advice~JAG all you need to do is price new Kellys at the Boutique and that may inspire you to hold on to yours. I was a the H boutique in Waikiki last week and a 28 Chevre Kelly is 7900usd, an Epsom 25 Kelly is 7000usd and a 32 canvas barenia combo Kelly is 7600usd.
In 2009 year my evergrain 32 Kelly was 7700usd~can only imagine the price today~
Kellys are perhaps less user friendly than a HAC or Birkin but they are so classic and with a business/evening suit IMO nothing is more perfect than a Kelly~

:shocked: I'm scared to know what my 32cm Kelly, chevre, sellier *gulp* will cost if it comes this year! And my 25cm Kelly retourne in box was $5600 4 years ago...

Jag, I hope you can keep your Kelly (and Balenciaga since it's a totally different look). I have no good advice since I'm yet to convince myself to sell any of my bags, even though I should. The only bags worth reselling are my BVs and Hermes bags, but they all have fond memories or significance attached to them, so I'm hard pressed to get rid of them unless I absolutely have to.

I'm not a keeper of things that I don't use no matter how beautiful it happens to be. I just feel the bag, etc. needs to go to someone who will enjoy carrying it and giving it it's own special place in their heart. I've never regretted parting with a bag, or anything else for that matter especially when I know the person getting the item truly wants it. I actually enjoy knowing someone else is happy with the item I rarely use. I've loved every bag I've purchased but just never feel the urge to keep the ones I don't use.

Personally, I'd say keep it. Sometimes we just need beautiful, unnecessary items. If your kids are fed and your bills being paid, keep it. I own no Hermes bags, but have other bags that I do not use. Once in a while I think "I should sell this because I have never used it/have not used it in years/can no longer see myself using it". Then I step back, look with a critical eye, and recognize (again) the beauty of the bag. Then I sigh and put it back in the closet, knowing that at some time I will use it.

When you are ready to part with it, you won't even question your decision.

I'm not a keeper of things that I don't use no matter how beautiful it happens to be. I just feel the bag, etc. needs to go to someone who will enjoy carrying it and giving it it's own special place in their heart. I've never regretted parting with a bag, or anything else for that matter especially when I know the person getting the item truly wants it. I actually enjoy knowing someone else is happy with the item I rarely use. I've loved every bag I've purchased but just never feel the urge to keep the ones I don't use.

Totally agree. While I know the Kelly is a stunning, classic bag, if you have to convince yourself that you will use it, then it's not really a YOU bag, KWIM?? I have parted with many bags over the last 12 months after going on a ridiculous spending spree and am now down to about 10 bags I really love. OK, I don't own a Birkin or Kelly but have parted with a recently purchased Picotin because it just didn't suit me or my life. I think keeping a bag because buying a new one would cost a fortune doesn't make a great deal of sense if you don't use it regularly.

Jag, I've gone through this many times, but I find that I have "Seller's Remorse" more often than "Buyer's Remorse".....and that can be brutal! If I do have seller's remorse, I'm always on a mission to re-buy or replace the item I sold. It's a sickness...lol...so unless I really don't use something, or no longer like something......I just keep most of my things. I know exactly how you feel about the Balenciaga City....I also love them. I love my Birkin, and it's really user friendly, but the Kelly has really captured my heart!! I hope you don't sell the Kelly.....I'm afraid you'd kick yourself in the future. JMO :faint: