Rethinking your collection....

I recently sold 2 birkins, because I haven't carried them for a long time. Before I bought my 1st birkin, I always foolishly believed I will happily settle with 1 birkin. WRONG....I ended up with 9 birkins and realized that I only use a couple of them consistently.

I'm very happy that I could find great homes for my 2 birkins, and right now feels OK with what I have. I may let 1 more birkin go later, but waiting to be sure about doing so.

Interestingly, I sold so many non-H bags last year and my bag collection is 80% Hermes, which I'm comfortable with. I used to buy so many LV Runway bags, but learned hard my love won't last past the season with these seasonal bags.

I would keep the kelly too, jag. I am afraid of seller remorse, for one reason or another. What if you miss it after it's gone? Unless you're 100% sure. With the price increases, the replacement cost can be quite something. :flowers:

I am relieved to read the posts in this thread that I am not the only hoarder on the planet. I pretty much still have all my bags in my closet, in their long slumber :sleepy:; except for a 35B which I bought from Pete/Mario from Luxury-Zurich, a brand new Victoria FT that went to a new Mommy at the onset, and a 30B also from Luxury-Zurich. 3 of these were adopted ... sold at a loss.

Over the years, I have learnt to make less mistakes, and this saved me from having to rethink :sweatdrop:
Great Post mrss~
I have learned by trial and error myself and have yet to sell a bag without taking a loss. Has been sort of fun learning ~ but overall costly. With prices going up and up and up for Hermes I think more carefully before I buy and now even more carefully before I let go~
Letting a bag go to someone who really wants it can be rewarding to be sure, but being sure before you let go is the key IMO.

Interesting thread.

I've personally come to the conclusion that I buy bags for their beauty, so I'm okay if I don't use a particular bag very much... *IF* I love, love, love that particular combination of color and leather. Call me weird, but I take great pleasure in just feeling the leather and looking at the color and admiring the craftsmanship. I only let bags go if the love for them fades.

I agree, TANKER. I've lost money on selling bags when I've finally figured out they weren't working for me.

Now, I contemplate long and hard before each purchase. No matter how much in lust I am with something (bags, jewelry, etc.....) I take the time to reflect on my lifestyle and needs where before I was more impulsive.

It's really been a great exercise.....I've learned a lot about myself and I'm much happier with what I have. AND I have some spare change lying around! LMAO!!!!!!!

Interesting thread.

I've personally come to the conclusion that I buy bags for their beauty, so I'm okay if I don't use a particular bag very much... *IF* I love, love, love that particular combination of color and leather. Call me weird, but I take great pleasure in just feeling the leather and looking at the color and admiring the craftsmanship. I only let bags go if the love for them fades.

lilpicotin, I hear you and I totally understand how you feel! :hugs:

I'm not one to let something unused sit around but am fortunate to have a daughter happy to take them off my hands - mainly Prada, Chloe, Givenchy. I now have only about 7 day bags.

Time to move from the "it" bag to classic and that's why I'm here. Instead of 3 or 4 bags per year it will be one every few years.....welcome to the orange world.

Jag I think it's the economic climate that makes us feel a tinge of guilt. Take the Kelly out on a date - then decide :smile:

I'v been culling now for the past few years and finally I have a collection that works perfectly for me.

Thing is, once I decided to stop trying to inject color into my life via handbags it did get a little easier. And, once I knew my color palate (and stuck with it) and the styles that would work well for my lifestyle, it got even easier. I don't have a lot of bags now but each one brings me great joy when I use them and the choice of which to use is now much quicker.

There are some women who can be quite satisfied with one bag. I really admire them! This is not who I am as I do love having a bit of a choice. And then there are some women who have too much choice......that's where I'd go a bit bonkers.

What a great post!

I am also finding that I don't want the bag to be the focal point of my attire but to compliment it. Since my wardrobe is predominately blacks and neutrals, it is fairly easy to determine which bags will stay. I love to inject some colour into my wardrobe and I do so through simple accessories or a piece of clothing. Definitely much easier on wallet than acquiring countless bags.

Jag, I agree with the ladies about taking your kelly for a spin. See how you feel about it before deciding to part ways with it. As others have mentioned, the kelly is a very beautiful classic bag and if you can see yourself carrying it 10 - 20 yrs from now then keep it.

As others have mentioned, the kelly is a very beautiful classic bag and if you can see yourself carrying it 10 - 20 yrs from now then keep it.

Jag, I think this is the key point. You have a truly classic bag and even if it doesn't come out of its sleeper for another 5 years, it will still be as chic as the day you bought it. I feel like this about a couple of my bags, they are just having a long hibernation, I know I will wear them again, but maybe not for a year or so.

Plus, you still love it!

If you dont need the funds, try and hang on to it. And I say this as someone who LOVES to clear out my wardrobe!

Jag, I think I can get a sense of your dilemma.

I have a tigre royal triangle scarf (the smaller one not the one with the tassels) that I have been thinking about whether or not to sell. I bought it at the time thinking that I would never find the 70cm tigre royal that I wanted. Lo and behold, I did!

I haven't sold it off yet because 1) I love the tigre royal design! 2) It's the only triangle scarf I have. 3) If I did sell it, I would like that it go to someone who would really treasure it. It's hard to tell when you're selling online! Am I being obsessive about point 3? 4) Sentimental value. There are some good memories behind the time I bought the scarf.

Jag, take your time weighing your pros and cons. Good luck.

Great Post mrss~
I have learned by trial and error myself and have yet to sell a bag without taking a loss. Has been sort of fun learning ~ but overall costly. With prices going up and up and up for Hermes I think more carefully before I buy and now even more carefully before I let go~
Letting a bag go to someone who really wants it can be rewarding to be sure, but being sure before you let go is the key IMO.

Thank you, TankerToad. That is the mental struggle.

When I hear stories about bag owners able to offload their "mistakes" at cost or even with a profit, I always think these cases are the exception than the norm. Maybe timing played a part; it was probably easier back when H was more exclusive.

Just very recently, a friend of mine asked for a recommendation of a consignment shop to place out her non-exotic Birkin, which was to fund the purchase of her croc Birkin. She was so upset by the time she left. The consignment shop owner totally lowballed her, claiming her "L stamped" is old :wtf: I encouraged her to retain her Birkin, instead of letting the shop have the satisfaction of earning that huge mark-up.

With H increasing prices year after year, if we adopt a "grab and think later approach" to buying H bags, we would always be out of pocket!!!!

The silver lining to owning H bags is that they are classics and we will find opportunities to use them in our lifetime, and still be happy. :flowers:

I agree, TANKER. I've lost money on selling bags when I've finally figured out they weren't working for me.

Now, I contemplate long and hard before each purchase. No matter how much in lust I am with something (bags, jewelry, etc.....) I take the time to reflect on my lifestyle and needs where before I was more impulsive.

It's really been a great exercise.....I've learned a lot about myself and I'm much happier with what I have. AND I have some spare change lying around! LMAO!!!!!!!

I love both of your posts! This is the reason I have yet to purchase a birkin or kelly....I like a bag I can get on my shoulder, but I like the ease of getting in and out of the birkin....I'm trying to avoid a very costly mistake...since, like others here, I've made quite a few purchases that do not pass the test of time.

I'm wrestling with the same purge impulse! When the closet is bursting or bags aren't getting used....it's hard to resist the urge. I think it's easier to purge a bag that you know you will never use again, but much harder to purge a bag with sentimental or emotional attachments. As others have mentioned, it's much easier to purge to friends and loved ones....I've purged those and am wrestling with the rest....

GL deciding!!! If you think you will use it in the future, keep it. No need to rush the decision.

Last edited:
OMG! I just realized I was up to 8 Birkins at one point...shows the level of insanity, when you lose count! Anyway, good luck with your decision. I totally understand how you feel, but agree with everyone that don't rush into it....

I recently saw the price of a new Box Kelly and I just couldn't believe it. If I had to buy any of my bags today (if I could even find one like it), it would be much more difficult than when I bought them several years ago.
Hold on to your beautiful Kelly. Wear it with different outfits. Take it out for short rides. Take a picture of yourself every time you wear it and put in a little file. I think you will come to see it as a useful bag. The shoulder strap alone has saved me so many times even in the most mundane of places like grocery stores.