Resellers getting Chanel items first and selling for premium

An IG reseller is selling the highly sought after 21S light pink CF for $8550 + shipping. That’s almost 1.3x markup of the $6800 retail price and the profit margin is around 25%. Wow I believe this is even better than the average profit margin for Chanel itself or other luxury retailers like LV. To make things worse they don’t even want to pay for shipping. Wow......

no,
What’s worse is that reseller (if we are referring to the same person) does not pay tax on the bag since her stuff is sent to New Hampshire (no sales tax) and mostly comes from
Hong Kong (already cheaper than USA prices). She’s unbelievable. Same “reseller” who used to do the “lottery ticket win a wallet scams...”

no,
What’s worse is that reseller (if we are referring to the same person) does not pay tax on the bag since her stuff is sent to New Hampshire (no sales tax) and mostly comes from
Hong Kong (already cheaper than USA prices). She’s unbelievable. Same “reseller” who used to do the “lottery ticket win a wallet scams...”
Can I private message you to see if it’s the same reseller that I’m thinking?

Has anyone seen this article about the recent Nike reselling scandal in the LA Times? It's a really interesting read and what's currently going on in sneaker reselling has a lot of parallels with the current Chanel situation (minus the bots), particularly the blanket increase in demand and the frustration around the customers who truly love the brand not being able to get what they want/the brand not being able to combat it. The original article about this in Bloomberg Businessweek was also an eye opening read.

Some key quotes from the article that felt relevant to everything on this thread (I paraphrased some a bit):

But in June, athletic shoe sales rebounded to the best month ever...rising 25% from a year earlier. That’s because people who didn’t lose their jobs — freed of commuting and entertainment costs — had more disposable income and, in April, received the first of the coronavirus stimulus checks. Meanwhile, new resellers looking for a side hustle flooded the business.... “They don’t have any allegiance to the brand. They have no allegiance to the celebrity or the athlete. It’s simply a chance to insert themselves into this market and that has caused the price of the shoes to go up for the collector and the true fan"

“You know how you combat somebody who you think is getting too many pairs of sneakers and just in it to resell them for as much as possible? You don’t buy from him. It’s that simple. And then when he’s stuck with $100,000 worth of product and can’t pay that credit card bill back from mommy, then he’s out.”

"Communicating with consumers is the key, said consultant Margot Bloomstein, author of “Trustworthy: How the Smartest Brands Beat Cynicism and Bridge the Trust Gap.”...“We can blame the technology, but beyond just acknowledging a problem, Nike and other brands should explain what is happening with their raffle and shoe-drop apps, offering people a lot more detail so that they can understand it and be empowered by that information,” Bloomstein said. “Then they also need to demonstrate accountability and explain exactly what they’ll be doing so that this cannot happen again in the future.”

These past month or so I’ve been calling SAs and Chanel customer care for items which I understand ofcourse are high in demand. What surprises me is that I will talk to my SA and customer care and not one of the many items on my list are available but the same day I will see resellers posting them on IG and ofcourse asking for premium prices. I’m beginning to think they put themselves on all of these wait list and will get them first before us and obviously when they get it, they sell at higher prices. Now because we want the items so much and don’t want to wait for another increase, we’re ending up buying the items in much higher prices than they already are. I've seen so many hard to find items in the hands of resellers and I see many bag lovers getting them from resellers instead of the stores. I think there is something wrong in this picture. Is it just me thinking this?
No your not alone. Rolex just busted some AD for doing this. Selling to resellers. Could be all the luxury goods stores do this.

no,
Who is this ? I’m curious ...

How do you guys know if a reseller is legit? Like someone having 10 of a really hard to find bags seems sus af to me.

They are authentic bags because they have people working to go into different boutiques to buy them all but I wouldnt buy from them. They are greedy to take all the stock and charge premium

Maybe this is just my perception but I feel like personal shoppers are not getting their hands on as much stock as they did in 21p. Perhaps Chanel heard and took to heart the feedback from their customers. Fashionphile is a different story. I still see relatively recent items from past season and a few from this season at a ridiculous markup. But I don’t see as much on IG PS/ reseller accounts.

Last edited:
Maybe this is just my perception but I feel like personal shoppers are not getting their hands on as much stock as they did in 21p. Perhaps Chanel heard and took to heart the feedback from their customers. Fashionphile is a different story. I still see relatively recent items from past season and a few from this season at a ridiculous markup. But I don’t see as much on IG PS/ reseller accounts.
I hope that’s true. Last night I saw a pair of earrings I just bought for $725 listed on FP for $1230.

So glad this thread was started. The other day I saw a reseller on Instagram post 5 caramel minis. Yes, FIVE. She also posted that she will have 5 slots for the mini white iridescent. Out of curiosity, I asked her what her price was for the white mini and it was almost $1500 above retail. Not trying to start any drama but tbh I’m so annoyed over trying to reserve items from this collection that I don’t even care about calling this person out - It’s luxbuntoutou. I’ve seen her with multiples of hard to find items and it’s actually quite sad tbh. I can’t even follow her anymore.

A lot of us have worked really hard cultivating a good relationship with the brand. In the last 7 months, I’ve spent a lot of money, have remained loyal to my SA, and have developed a true love for Chanel. Some of these resellers essentially don’t even appreciate the brand like we do, but are more concerned about hoarding all the stock and then ripping people off with these absurd premiums. My entire perspective on these resellers has completely changed.

Saw this posted on IG today....

View attachment 4994934
Why do you think everything she shows is original? She’ll receive more profit by adding fakes to her stock. In this case she can sale 10, 15, even 20 caramel flaps but who can prove that they’re real?

Reactions: 2manychins