Resellers getting Chanel items first and selling for premium

I agreed wholeheartedly. It’s frustrating seeing posts after posts on fb and Instagram of resellers selling bags that real Chanel buyers are desperately trying to locate and buy for personal use. What drives me nuts is they post about how beautiful the bag is, the color is to die for, they can’t believe they are able to add it to their collection etc... and then turn around and sell it at a premium price a few days after.

Also now because of resellers, we have to deal with these lottery waitlists or stores not allowing waitlists at all. All because of resellers

I agreed wholeheartedly. It’s frustrating seeing posts after posts on fb and Instagram of resellers selling bags that real Chanel buyers are desperately trying to locate and buy for personal use. What drives me nuts is they post about how beautiful the bag is, the color is to die for, they can’t believe they are able to add it to their collection etc... and then turn around and sell it at a premium price a few days after.
I know right! It irks me when they say it’s a unicorn, how beautiful the bag is, how rare the color is, etc... if it’s so amazing to you, then why are you selling it and not keeping it? :tdown: I absolutely will never buy from resellers and support their side/day job,... get a real job where you don’t have to flip bags for a living. :end rant:

I know right! It irks me when they say it’s a unicorn, how beautiful the bag is, how rare the color is, etc... if it’s so amazing to you, then why are you selling it and not keeping it? :tdown: I absolutely will never buy from resellers and support their side/day job,... get a real job where you don’t have to flip bags for a living. :end rant:
Its all about the money. Making profit and then putting that money towards a new bag which they will resell, the process continues. Not just 'personal shoppers' but common people like you and I are doing this on FB groups very openly...

For them it is about the youtube views and instagram followers. Those generate more money and selling the bag to buy new one to make more content and money.

Its all about the money. Making profit and then putting that money towards a new bag which they will resell, the process continues. Not just 'personal shoppers' but common people like you and I are doing this on FB groups very openly...

It's getting frustrated to buy a chanel bag that I wanted in 21P and 21S collection. Even my SA couldn't help me out when I asked for reserve it. I could care less about classic flap because I hate the double flap. Chanel should at least sell their bags online so that some don't have to rely on resellers or PS. Going to the store asking for certain items and they always say no. They don't even bother to look it up or search for the specific item from different stores. I have bought a chanel item from a reseller in ig. She charged me premium. I'm not doing that again especially after I read about this thread. This makes me want to look for different brands.

Do you guys think this situation will largely go away when covid restrictions is lifted around all the countries?
The only way I've been able to get the harder to find pieces in the past was to be persistent and going down to the boutiques regularly to check. Obviously I can't do that atm with lockdowns but when it's lifted I do plan on visiting the stores if there's new pieces I want.
It's been so hard to get any SA to help me in lockdown and I'm seeing the same complaints being repeated by lots of people. I feel like that is driving people to resellers. So end of lockdown should mean people can go in store and buy directly right?
Also it's a bit harder to fob someone off and say a bag isn't in stock when it's right there on display in front of them!

Do you guys think this situation will largely go away when covid restrictions is lifted around all the countries?
The only way I've been able to get the harder to find pieces in the past was to be persistent and going down to the boutiques regularly to check. Obviously I can't do that atm with lockdowns but when it's lifted I do plan on visiting the stores if there's new pieces I want.
It's been so hard to get any SA to help me in lockdown and I'm seeing the same complaints being repeated by lots of people. I feel like that is driving people to resellers. So end of lockdown should mean people can go in store and buy directly right?
Also it's a bit harder to fob someone off and say a bag isn't in stock when it's right there on display in front of them!
I certainly hope so!! I think being able to actually go out and have a social life again will help by distracting people, too. I don't buy from resellers/PS myself, but I do think being stuck at home/work with nowhere else to go has presented me with more opportunity to get fixated on certain "hot" bags . . . only to realize later when (if!) I get them that I didn't have to have them as much as I thought I did and I got kind of caught up in the hype. And if everyone has places to go and people to see, that's less time to spend on Instagram/Facebook/wherever else online the resellers are hawking their wares or on hunting down that "must-have" bag.

I would be interested to know if TPFers in places where restrictions have already loosened up some have noticed this at all (fingers crossed!).

Chanel should at least sell their bags online so that some don't have to rely on resellers or PS. Going to the store asking for certain items and they always say no.

Selling online won't work if the quantities are this limited. The site will just get overrun by bots every major release like what happens with Nike, Supreme, and Adidas. And as those companies barely make or make no effort to stop bots, Chanel won't either. IMO selling online will enable more resellers because now more people have a chance, whereas the frustrating in-store experience usually limits it to people who have a strong relationship with their SA and a frequent spending history.

I certainly hope so!! I think being able to actually go out and have a social life again will help by distracting people, too. I don't buy from resellers/PS myself, but I do think being stuck at home/work with nowhere else to go has presented me with more opportunity to get fixated on certain "hot" bags . . . only to realize later when (if!) I get them that I didn't have to have them as much as I thought I did and I got kind of caught up in the hype. And if everyone has places to go and people to see, that's less time to spend on Instagram/Facebook/wherever else online the resellers are hawking their wares or on hunting down that "must-have" bag.

I would be interested to know if TPFers in places where restrictions have already loosened up some have noticed this at all (fingers crossed!).
I am optimistic this will happen when it’s possible to spend money on experiences again. The whole supply/demand equilibrium took a double whammy from far more people wanting to spend money they would otherwise spend on experiences on material goods, and then there were huge supply issues due to Covid.

I spoke to a SA recently who was just as frustrated. She said where they used to get 12 of a style, they might now get 3. She was optimistic that supply would increase by the time prefall rolled around- I personally think that feels a little soon but it’s nice to know they expect things to return to normal at some point.

I am optimistic this will happen when it’s possible to spend money on experiences again. The whole supply/demand equilibrium took a double whammy from far more people wanting to spend money they would otherwise spend on experiences on material goods, and then there were huge supply issues due to Covid.

I spoke to a SA recently who was just as frustrated. She said where they used to get 12 of a style, they might now get 3. She was optimistic that supply would increase by the time prefall rolled around- I personally think that feels a little soon but it’s nice to know they expect things to return to normal at some point.

Yes!! And to me it’s almost less about the money (i.e., having more money to spend on bags because you can’t go anywhere) than it is about the headspace these things can take up. When you’re out and about and living your life, you don’t have as much time and attention to spend on trying to figure out what bags are coming out when and how you can get your hands on them. But when you’re stuck at home with no end in sight you might literally have nothing better to do (or nothing better that you actually want to do lol) than spending hours of your time chasing down bags. My feeling (and hope) is that once it’s safe to actually have a life again, there won’t be quite as much frenzy over particular bags because people just won’t have the same kind of time and interest that we do right now.

Was browsing through Poshmark and saw this
View attachment 5018453

$6.7k Price firm for a bag that retails $3.7k is utterly ridiculous. I wish I could say that was the only marked up listing I saw.
I literally just ordered this in the large size on Sunday. For $4600. From a boutique. AND it's been out for a little while. This is just so bad.

Yes, by the time the supply is increased/return to normal, the price would be increased too :sad: