Resellers getting Chanel items first and selling for premium

I can’t believe how much hatred is on this thread, people hiding behind screen names reporting people with public profiles. It’s not hard to figure out who you are and ruining ones business unless you’re sure comes with consequences.

Plenty of the resellers are you- buying bags that are available you don’t want and selling thru them to make a profit. If you want to blame someone blame Chanel or blame the fact you return a lot or aren’t loyal to a SA. Not all resellers and Personal Shoppers deserve to be maligned.

The poster on here who said she would buy and turn in, that’s terrible. I have worked with a few of these resellers and they’ve helped me and I’m happy with their services. The ones I know work hard and long hours answering your questions.

This is all over a few bags? How sad. Some of the peeps mentioned here need to be called out but to go after all of them with so much hatred is another level.

I completely disagree that the blame lies with people returning a lot or not being loyal to one SA. I have been purchasing Chanel for 10 years and am loyal to one SA and have never returned a single item yet I also notice the change in availability of items and accessibility. There’s no question that multiple people are posing as VIP clients who are in fact resellers and these are taking the place of loyal clients on VIP lists. No one person can purchase on a level that competes with a reseller

Finally a voice of reason. I think a lot of ppl in this thread would love to make a profit on a bag if they had the opportunity to. Isn’t that one of the appeals of Chanel, that the bags hold their value when you decide to resell?
I think that many buy these bags to enjoy ...but like knowing that we can recoup most, if not all, of our money back if we change our mind in the future.

I would imagine most of us don’t buy with the intent of flipping the bag for a profit within a week or so of purchasing. We buy to use and enjoy. Not to take away access from customers who can buy from a store. We aren’t trying to buy a bag for the purpose of trying to make money within a week or so...and force consumers to buy outside the normal Chanel direct-to-consumer model. I don’t agree that it’s okay to force consumers to pay more because the inventory is gone at the boutiques due to resellers :smile:
I’ve already shared my perspective on legit personal shoppers who charge a flat fee and only source when requested. Not maintain an inventory of newly released bags in their homes to sell

drop the youtube username, im gonna watch and dislike it hahaha but yes jokes aside, seriously this is an unnerving trend, i've stopped watching these unboxing videos because of the same reason...extremely irksome...always roll my eyes at "WHY I RETURNED MY XXX"
Recently so many youtubers have been selling their collection, closet clearout - problem is people who buy because of influence are the idiots ! These youtubers have massive fan following so they sell without making a loss!
What about others who purchased under influence? Preloved market is over flowing with goods, takes for ever to sell something on apps like Vestiaire. Got to really think through our purchases
Reseller fees are like 15-20% now

I think that many buy these bags to enjoy ...but like knowing that we can recoup most, if not all, of our money back if we change our mind in the future.

I would imagine most of us don’t buy with the intent of flipping the bag for a profit within a week or so of purchasing. We buy to use and enjoy. Not to take away access from customers who can buy from a store. We aren’t trying to buy a bag for the purpose of trying to make money within a week or so...and force consumers to buy outside the normal Chanel direct-to-consumer model. I don’t agree that it’s okay to force consumers to pay more because the inventory is gone at the boutiques due to resellers :smile:
I’ve already shared my perspective on legit personal shoppers who charge a flat fee and only source when requested. Not maintain an inventory of newly released bags in their homes to sell
This 100%. I’ve never bought an item with the intention of selling it for a profit. There’s never a guarantee that any of these items will maintain or increase in value.

I can’t believe how much hatred is on this thread, people hiding behind screen names reporting people with public profiles. It’s not hard to figure out who you are and ruining ones business unless you’re sure comes with consequences.

Plenty of the resellers are you- buying bags that are available you don’t want and selling thru them to make a profit. If you want to blame someone blame Chanel or blame the fact you return a lot or aren’t loyal to a SA. Not all resellers and Personal Shoppers deserve to be maligned.

The poster on here who said she would buy and turn in, that’s terrible. I have worked with a few of these resellers and they’ve helped me and I’m happy with their services. The ones I know work hard and long hours answering your questions.

This is all over a few bags? How sad. Some of the peeps mentioned here need to be called out but to go after all of them with so much hatred is another level.
Ok you should realise that the personal shopper thing works for you not for every one!

if some one feels that way they are entitled to! And this is a public forum.

Recently so many youtubers have been selling their collection, closet clearout - problem is people who buy because of influence are the idiots ! These youtubers have massive fan following so they sell without making a loss!
What about others who purchased under influence? Preloved market is over flowing with goods, takes for ever to sell something on apps like Vestiaire. Got to really think through our purchases
Reseller fees are like 15-20% now
totally agree!!
I think its preached ALOT on youtube that these bags are 'investments' and you can make money or recoup all your money. I know this to be true but you have to wait yearsss for Chanel price increases to turn a 'profit'.
There's a surplus of supply of bags in the second hand market so your bag might sit for awhile. AND you have to keep your bag in immaculate condition. AND keep all the paperwork, card, packaging AND most times "normal" people are going to use a consignment websites. In those cases you have to factor the % cut the website will take. This fact is easily on display when you read comments in the fashionphile quote threads.

I remember a couple months ago I wanted the chanel medium denim flap. It was sold out everywhere! I called at least 20 stores all across U.S and no luck.

i saw it on the reseller’s IG page though and she has a couple!! I asked to see how much and it was $500 over retail. It wasn’t too huge of a markup, but granted the bag was only $3100.

i decided to wait and not buy it from resellers. The way I think was if it was meant to be, I’ll be able to find it. If not, forget it.

2 weeks later, i got a call from a very nice SA from Neiman Marcus and she just happened to got one. So in the end, i got the bag i wanted. NEW and retail price.

Like everyone else, i hate it when bags are all sold out but all the resellers have it and are selling at a premium price.

totally agree!!
I think its preached ALOT on youtube that these bags are 'investments' and you can make money or recoup all your money. I know this to be true but you have to wait yearsss for Chanel price increases to turn a 'profit'.
There's a surplus of supply of bags in the second hand market so your bag might sit for awhile. AND you have to keep your bag in immaculate condition. AND keep all the paperwork, card, packaging AND most times "normal" people are going to use a consignment websites. In those cases you have to factor the % cut the website will take. This fact is easily on display when you read comments in the fashionphile quote threads.
This. An investment in yourself, your wardrobe, your style? For sure. If you have a timeless classic in pristine condition that you bought several years ago, for sure it's increased in value. However people throw handbag investments around like replacement for real estate, stocks, ETFs... I'm just not entirely sure my lender will accept my Chanel handbag collection on my asset verification when I go to take out a mortgage, lol. Maybe someday!

i have sold chanel bags and other designer bags that i don't use. never in my life i have put a premium price or any price higher than retail on my bags. that is not ethical to me. so coming to this forum and saying everyone would love to make a profit from selling a chanel bag is wrong and false. i sold my chanel bags after 5 years and the price i sold them for was below the price i bought them for, because they were used. even if they were brand new, i would never ever sell anything above the retail price, ever. don't compare people with integrity with yourself or any other scamming reseller please.

Just to add my 2 cents.
I see 3 different types of 're-selling' or 'selling' on instagram, and I feel that it's all getting a bit tangled up. This is how I mentally split it:

1. Consignment of older seasons.
I admit that I can be quite impulsive with my purchases, particularly for any bags of a bright colour. But I am happy to buy Chanels because I know when I get bored of say a pink trendy, I can sell it in a couple of years and not lose too much money unlike some other brands. So I really value the consignment aspect of instagram reselling.
Obviously I still have to sell at a discount to retail, nobody's going to buy a used bag at even close to retail, but I might re-coup say 80% of what I paid originally, which I'm happy with.

2. Personal Selling
I also previously said I'm ok with personal shopping services where you pay a fixed fee for someone to souce the bag for you. Because if someone charges me $200 for their services, and it takes me 3 hours to get to the store and back whilst battling a bored toddler, I'd rather pay the $200 and use my 3 hours for other things.
Obviously if you live near a store and have a good SA relationship you don't need this, but not everyone is in the same position.

3. Reselling current season stock at significant mark-ups
The main thing that I don't like is the large number of bags they have bought so the rest of us can't and essentially forces us to buy from them.