Reporting Fakes on eBay: Three Ways

This is a general comment and not aimed at anyone so please don't take it badly anyone here!

Personally, I report things that I have seen given the thumbs down on the authenticate-this-~

However, I do sometimes see people saying 'I've never seen something like that before' and saying it's fake based on purely their own experience. We can get carried away sometimes, particularly in the early stages of getting to know a particular brand.

I'm lucky because I can always pull one of my collectors magazines or look books off the wall and 9 times out of 10, I find it there as an unusual line.

Yes we should definitely stamp out obvious fakes, but the key point from recent postings is:

Where authenticators here have found a problem, if individual members make a few posts, then eBay see a pattern and are likely to pull it.

Occasionally there will be something that slips through. Sometimes there will be something that is so weird as to be unbelievable.

There are also some items which are released as limited runs in different countries. Big companies know their markets really well and what will work in one place, sometimes won't in another. So it is always possible, particularly with international sales, that what is common in one country is rare in another. That doesn't mean it's automatically a fake, but it means you'd have to search a wider net before reaching a conclusion. It's also why PF is good because we have members from all around the globe.

Just my view.

I just need to know if it's true that the seller cannot give me a refund before she has received the fake bag?
Most sellers will not refund until the item has been returned to them and received. If you are returning a bag, be sure to insure and I also advise shipping w/ online tracking and online signature confirmation so that you have proof of the return.

Most sellers will not refund until the item has been returned to them and received. If you are returning a bag, be sure to insure and I also advise shipping w/ online tracking and online signature confirmation so that you have proof of the return.
Thank you so much for your answer, by seller said
I will gladly offer you your refund. I am unable to offer it before that happens because of paypal and ebay rules.
and I was just wondering if this is true? I mean I'm the honest person here, I didn't try to trick anyone into thinking a fake bag is an authentic bag..:smash: I just thought it was weird since you have to pay before you get an item and also when the seller gets the bag back she has both the money and the bag, what's to stop her from not giving me a refund?

Thank you so much for your answer, by seller said and I was just wondering if this is true? I mean I'm the honest person here, I didn't try to trick anyone into thinking a fake bag is an authentic bag..:smash: I just thought it was weird since you have to pay before you get an item and also when the seller gets the bag back she has both the money and the bag, what's to stop her from not giving me a refund?
Correct. And if you are concerned about that, then I suggest you file a SNAD dispute w/ ebay (or PP if redirected by ebay). In the dispute, don't say the bag is fake, simply say the bag is not as described in the seller's auction and seller has agreed to a refund upon return. And then wait for seller to respond.
This will give you 3rd party involvement.

I spotted an ugly fake Prada which I reported. When I check back, I saw that the bidding ends with a winner. I feel bad for the person who buys this bag. I hope there is a way to warn the bidders on buying a fake bag to prevent buyers getting cheated.

I'm sorry, I'm new here and can't find "report this item" at the bottom of the listing. I just bought a LV bag from ebay and the track number said the item was delivered to NY from OH. I live in Hawaii. I have no idea why an item would go the opposite direction unless it's being traded for a fake and then sent to me. My mind is racing at the moment. Please help. I'm glad I found this forum.

I'm sorry, I'm new here and can't find "report this item" at the bottom of the listing. I just bought a LV bag from ebay and the track number said the item was delivered to NY from OH. I live in Hawaii. I have no idea why an item would go the opposite direction unless it's being traded for a fake and then sent to me. My mind is racing at the moment. Please help. I'm glad I found this forum.

On your ebay auction.....Under SELLER INFO is OTHER ITEM INFO... under this is the link to REPORT THIS ITEM. I don't know that you need to report this item.
You need to contact the seller VIA the WON ebay auction link, CONTACT SELLER.

The seller may have made an error, or USPS tracking may be screwed up, yet again. I once had an item being shipped from TX to SCOTLAND show delivered in Colorado. (WHich is was NOT, BTW). It happens.
If you are truly concerned, or the seller does not respond to your ebay message, then you can file an INR w/ Ebay/Paypal if you do not receive your bag w/in 7 days. READ THIS http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/questions/item-not-received.html

If you need further assistance, please start a NEW thread in the ebay forum here on tPF. http://forum.purseblog.com/ebay-forum/ click New Thread.

You can also google the seller's ID, as well as check the sellers ID on toolhaus.org and goofbay.com to see if any similar issues have been reported by other buyers.

Hang in there.....

Last edited:
she had some other bags too. It was a MJ stam bag...I had like 3 or 4 members here looking at pictures saying it was fake and I could even see myself even tho i have like no idea that it looked a bit off, but of course I was hoping that it was authentic..

Sunny...sorry hon, missed this.. what was the seller's ID?

How to report fakes when there's only 2 picture provided on the listing? but 99.9% sure it's fake, the seller wont anwer any request for posting more photo, it's done on purpose to display only 2 picture and ignores requests for more photo, I feel sorry for the buyer on last listing that ended up paying around 2g's for fakes? I have been watching this seller feedback to see winner who bought the totebag, so I can ask her for detail picture to see if this is fake, any idea how to deal with this anyone?
my questions is would ebay do aything about report if there's not enough picture to questions it's authenticity? thanks guys....

Last edited:
I'm brand-spanking new around here...

I found this forum today after finding an obvious fake Coach on eBay. I'm no connoisseur by any stretch of the imagination, but even I could tell this particular bag was fake (I googled "how to spot a fake Coach" and it produced this forum as one of its results).

Anyway, I wanted to point out that I reported the violation to eBay AND Coach via the links you submitted. Once I spotted that first fake, I ended up cruising eBay for over an hour looking for others (yes, my life is pretty boring); I ended up reporting at least a dozen others in that time.

Anyhoo, just thought I would share since you ladies seem so passionate about this...

I'm brand-spanking new around here...

I found this forum today after finding an obvious fake Coach on eBay. I'm no connoisseur by any stretch of the imagination, but even I could tell this particular bag was fake (I googled "how to spot a fake Coach" and it produced this forum as one of its results).

Anyway, I wanted to point out that I reported the violation to eBay AND Coach via the links you submitted. Once I spotted that first fake, I ended up cruising eBay for over an hour looking for others (yes, my life is pretty boring); I ended up reporting at least a dozen others in that time.

Anyhoo, just thought I would share since you ladies seem so passionate about this...

Good on you for joining the purseforum!

As a new member, the best thing you can do is to post anything that looks like it might be fake to the experts at the authenticate this Coach link. The reason is that sometimes people can make errors in identifying fake (or real bags!). It would be terrible to buy a fake but it would be equally terrible to miss out on finding a great authentic bargain just because something was unfamiliar. The other factor is that reporting is very important, but an extremely serious step. Not all the guides you find out there are going to be accurate, some of them can be wrong - in fact, horribly so! There are literally thousands of bag designs and this can be deceptive, because designers do change their details to stay ahead of the fakers.

So go with the experts, post your link here http://forum.purseblog.com/coach-shopping/authenticate-this-coach-535153.html(please follow the format on page 1). Then if the fabulous authentification team deem it fake, please post it in the fakes link with total confidence and other members can help to report it.