repairing and dying a Louis Vuitton zippy wallet in vernis ( Patent leather)

**UPDATE**
So, tonight, I brought out the zippy wallet again..no more excess dye on the patent leather of it but the clothe part of the zipper had still some dye so I started rubbing it with the clothe I used in polishing the wallet. Make sure to wipe it well to avoid the extra dye from transferring to clothes, bags or anything that will make contact on the wallet. Now, the excess dye on the zipper clothe is almost gone and when I run my finger, no more dye going to my finger;)

Reactions: Gblb
Wow that is sooo cool. I am not really creative and so afraid to touch/dye things by myself as it may ruin it. I like your courage!
Thank you:smile:
I bought this wallet really cheap, total of $39, so I decided to make an experiment of it and try to rescue it. I mean the quality is impeccable basing on its date code ( 10 yr old! ). The zipper runs like a butter with a really nice sound of it. It's really amazing and I am happy it went well:biggrin:

Thank you:smile:
I bought this wallet really cheap, total of $39, so I decided to make an experiment of it and try to rescue it. I mean the quality is impeccable basing on its date code ( 10 yr old! ). The zipper runs like a butter with a really nice sound of it. It's really amazing and I am happy it went well:biggrin:
Hello! May I have an update on your wallet? What does it look like now? The paint didn't come off? I am planning to do the same this weekend. Thanks!

Omg! I been researching this on goggle for hours! I'm so happy I found this post. Your wallet is amazing, thank you so much for sharing :smile:

Hi! Sorry for not being able to reply right away. The wallet is still looking good...had some finger prints on it which is natural for vernis and I just wiped the wallet off with lint free cloth and it's back to its new appearance again. I just showed this wallet awhile ago to my sister and she can't believed it. She said it looks spanking new[emoji38]

Absolutely amazing! Are you going to gift it to someone... or show the original owner ;)

Also why use Ponds? I have damanged my bag and not sure if that will help.

Thank you. I did this project as an experiment and nope, I didnt plan to give this to someone. I've been using it since I finished this project and aside from light transfer on the inside of the wallet ( that's why it's important to really let it dry and condition it), it still looks amazing and really useful[emoji4]

I used ponds because that's what I have in hand and that's what my husband had been using in reconditioning his leather jacket[emoji38]

I don't know if using ponds on your damaged bag will help though...

Thank you. I did this project as an experiment and nope, I didnt plan to give this to someone. I've been using it since I finished this project and aside from light transfer on the inside of the wallet ( that's why it's important to really let it dry and condition it), it still looks amazing and really useful[emoji4]

I used ponds because that's what I have in hand and that's what my husband had been using in reconditioning his leather jacket[emoji38]

I don't know if using ponds on your damaged bag will help though...

I can't believe how great it turned out :smile:

Ok will google Ponds further to find what uses its has for me :smile:

I'm a new member & this is my first post. Your wallet looks amazing!! The vernis is my all-time favorite; love the sheen & the jewel tone colors. Forgive me if this is a dumb question: Assuming inside & outside is dry & buffed completely clean of dye residue, do you think there's any chance of reactivating the dye or future transfer, say, if it gets wet? Is there some type of "seal" you've thought about or could add as a preserver? I've seen that Fiebing carries a product, Acrylic Resolene Leather Finish; curious is that would act as a final "sealer"?
Thank you for inspiring so many of us with this fabulous (and brave :biggrin:) makeover!

I'm a new member & this is my first post. Your wallet looks amazing!! The vernis is my all-time favorite; love the sheen & the jewel tone colors. Forgive me if this is a dumb question: Assuming inside & outside is dry & buffed completely clean of dye residue, do you think there's any chance of reactivating the dye or future transfer, say, if it gets wet? Is there some type of "seal" you've thought about or could add as a preserver? I've seen that Fiebing carries a product, Acrylic Resolene Leather Finish; curious is that would act as a final "sealer"?
Thank you for inspiring so many of us with this fabulous (and brave :biggrin:) makeover!

Thank you for checking out my thread...
Yes, I had some dye transferied to some of my cards, not that much but yep they got stained because I think I didn't thoroughly dried it but that was it...i've been using this wallet everyday until now and no more color transfer. I didnt really get a color transfer from the vernis part because it already sucked in the dye that is why when a newspaper touches a vernis leather, the ink sips in and it's impossible to remove.
Using leather finish is a great idea. You can try it. I haven't tried using it so I don't really know the outcome. Haven't experience getting it wet so can't also comment about that one[emoji4]
Happy New Year and have a blessed day[emoji4]

Thanks for the helpful thread! Very inspirational. I miss the part on how you decided on polishing the zipper.

I tried brasso in the past and found that the residual is very difficult to remove from inbetween the teeth. Thanks in advance!