repairing and dying a Louis Vuitton zippy wallet in vernis ( Patent leather)

ivyvid

Feb 16, 2015
Hello ladies and gentlemen! I am so excited to share to you about my first time repairing a louis vuitton wallet in vernis.
I got scored on a louis vuitton zippy wallet in vernis which costs around $900 plus tax new for only $39!
It is an authentic one, comparing it to my other Louis Vuitton bag and after inquiring to an authenticating group. So I dont really know if it's a deal with its condition but by comparing it to others being sold online, i thought why not and let my creativity and patience be used..
So here it was when I bought it...
image.jpeg

It looked pretty beat up and others were laughing how dirty it looked and really needing a tender loving care.
image.png

Last edited:
So I received it last Saturday and was just able to start working on it on Monday, after dinner and while watching the kids at the backyard. Then I dried it in our basement after dying the outside part (vernis). The next day, while the kids are at school, i started dying the inside...
Exterior of the wallet after dying..
image.jpeg

Here's the partially dyed interior of the wallet

image.jpeg

Last edited:
image.jpeg Once the dye dried up, I worked on the other side of the wallet. I used some sticks to make it open and let it air dry.
I did about three coatings both outside and inside..drying it up before putting the next coat...

Looking aweful outside yet inside was looking great..

P.S. I actually sewn a part of the wallet around the middle part where the wallet folds because a part of the thread was already broken..the closiest thread is the nylon for kites!:biggrin: I did that before dying the wallet

Last edited:
Wednesday, I am so ready to polish it! Get ready for the amazing transformation...
I polished the inside first..a lot of extra dye came off... Then the outside...
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited:
I read about using magic eraser but also read that it is really harsh too so to be at the safer side, i tried ponds first...windex is the second option but looks like ponds is working it's magic on this;)

Want to see the finished product?

Wow! This looks amazing! Great job transforming this wallet. What color dye did you use?

Thank you..I have a 2 year old leather dye that is dark brown here which I used for a different bag so that is what i used. The color after polishing with ponds cream came out to be a really pretty color almost like amarante but lighter