repairing and dying a Louis Vuitton zippy wallet in vernis ( Patent leather)

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. 40% off dresses, jumpsuits and sandals at Nordstrom. Sale ends Thursday at 9am EST. Click or tap to shop the sale!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. #1 Jun 16, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
    Hello ladies and gentlemen! I am so excited to share to you about my first time repairing a louis vuitton wallet in vernis.
    I got scored on a louis vuitton zippy wallet in vernis which costs around $900 plus tax new for only $39!
    It is an authentic one, comparing it to my other Louis Vuitton bag and after inquiring to an authenticating group. So I dont really know if it's a deal with its condition but by comparing it to others being sold online, i thought why not and let my creativity and patience be used..
    So here it was when I bought it...
    image.jpeg

It looked pretty beat up and others were laughing how dirty it looked and really needing a tender loving care.
    image.png

2. #2 Jun 16, 2016
    So I received it last Saturday and was just able to start working on it on Monday, after dinner and while watching the kids at the backyard. Then I dried it in our basement after dying the outside part (vernis). The next day, while the kids are at school, i started dying the inside...
    Exterior of the wallet after dying..
    image.jpeg

Here's the partially dyed interior of the wallet

image.jpeg

3. #3 Jun 16, 2016
    image.jpeg Once the dye dried up, I worked on the other side of the wallet. I used some sticks to make it open and let it air dry.
    I did about three coatings both outside and inside..drying it up before putting the next coat...

Looking aweful outside yet inside was looking great..

P.S. I actually sewn a part of the wallet around the middle part where the wallet folds because a part of the thread was already broken..the closiest thread is the nylon for kites!:biggrin: I did that before dying the wallet

4. #4 Jun 16, 2016
    Wednesday, I am so ready to polish it! Get ready for the amazing transformation...
    I polished the inside first..a lot of extra dye came off... Then the outside...
    image.jpeg

image.jpeg

5. Want to see the exterior???:smile:

Half way....:biggrin:
    image.jpeg

That's only using ponds!!!

Miletmilet likes this.
  6. Now...the whole half!!!
    image.jpeg

image.jpeg

7. I read about using magic eraser but also read that it is really harsh too so to be at the safer side, i tried ponds first...windex is the second option but looks like ponds is working it's magic on this;)

Want to see the finished product?

8. Yes! What a transformation. Go you!

ivyvid likes this.
  9. #9 Jun 16, 2016
    Tada!!! Oh the shine!!! The streaks on the photo is not really there..just too shiny and the reflection of the light:cool::smile::biggrin::cool:
    image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I needed to use q tips in polishing the imprints

Miletmilet and Aoifs like this.
  10. #10 Jun 16, 2016
    A little bit more polishing...and it will be perfect! I added kiwi polishing cream in the interior leather of the wallet for protection...
    Here is the comparisson of before and after of the zippy wallet...haven't polished the zipper but we'll get there
    image.jpeg

11. Wow! This looks amazing! Great job transforming this wallet. What color dye did you use?

ivyvid likes this.
  12. I hope you enjoyed my posts and if you have any questions, just post here and i'll try to get back to you as soon as I can.
    Have a wonderful and blessed day everyone

Aoifs likes this.
  13. Thank you..I have a 2 year old leather dye that is dark brown here which I used for a different bag so that is what i used. The color after polishing with ponds cream came out to be a really pretty color almost like amarante but lighter

14. Yeah girl! I was like oh well..worst comes, I am losing $39:P but really happy with the result;)

Aoifs likes this.
  15. The wallet came out fabulous! Is this your first repair project?

ivyvid likes this.