Rejuventating, Repairing or Restoring Your Balenciaga

Hi, I've never seen that before. Did you buy the bag new or pre used? If the latter, maybe a former owner used something that made the edge coating like this?

It's strange it's just the edge coating and not on the leather. Have you tried asking in one of the other forums, Hermès and Coach, for example? I know there are some there who are very experienced with treating leather, maybe they can help. Also, I think there's a whole forum dedicated to these kinds of issues. Found it:

Good luck, I understand this must be frustrating, hope someone more experienced than me can help!
Thank you so much for the link, will go through it. Hmm I remember a year ago, I conditioned the leather and used a waterproofer (both from Collonil, for their premium leather line). I’m not sure if that’s what caused it. It was just in the closet for about a year. Now I don’t know whether to waterproof my bags anymore. The other bags I’ve used it on are fine though - LV, Celine, and Chanel as far as I can remember.

Thank you so much for the link, will go through it. Hmm I remember a year ago, I conditioned the leather and used a waterproofer (both from Collonil, for their premium leather line). I’m not sure if that’s what caused it. It was just in the closet for about a year. Now I don’t know whether to waterproof my bags anymore. The other bags I’ve used it on are fine though - LV, Celine, and Chanel as far as I can remember.
I use and have used Collonil's Carbon Pro (and one or two other of their creams) on all my leather goods, from shoes to bags, and I've never seen this on any of my leather items (PS, Chanel, Bal, Hermès). I really hope it wasn't the Collonil that caused what happened to your bag. I know a few others here who use Collonil and I only remember them being happy with the products, especially the Carbon Pro.

If you find an explanation or get an answer from another poster somewhere on the forum, please come back and let us know!

Reactions: ima_delr
Hi, I've never seen that before. Did you buy the bag new or pre used? If the latter, maybe a former owner used something that made the edge coating like this?

It's strange it's just the edge coating and not on the leather. Have you tried asking in one of the other forums, Hermès and Coach, for example? I know there are some there who are very experienced with treating leather, maybe they can help. Also, I think there's a whole forum dedicated to these kinds of issues. Found it:

Good luck, I understand this must be frustrating, hope someone more experienced than me can help!
Thank you so much for this. Will definitely check it out. Well, over a year ago I applied a leather conditioner and a water repellent spray from Collonil on the bag. I’m not so sure if that’s what cause it because the zipper pull inside the bag is also has that discoloration when I didn’t apply the waterproof spray there, not that I can remember at least.. I’ve also used both Collonil products on other bags like Celine, LV, and Chanel and they were all fine..

I use and have used Collonil's Carbon Pro (and one or two other of their creams) on all my leather goods, from shoes to bags, and I've never seen this on any of my leather items (PS, Chanel, Bal, Hermès). I really hope it wasn't the Collonil that caused what happened to your bag. I know a few others here who use Collonil and I only remember them being happy with the products, especially the Carbon Pro.

If you find an explanation or get an answer from another poster somewhere on the forum, please come back and let us know!
Oops so sorry I double posted. Somehow my phone’s not giving me options to delete my latest post.

Yeah that’s what I’ve figured too.. I just noticed that the glazing on the zipper pull inside also had the same discoloration and I don’t remember applying the spray inside.. So, the only thing I can think of now is probably what one of our lovely PF users here said, it could be faulty glazing from Balenciaga thrmselves.. But, will definitely post here once I’ve gotten an answer. Thanks again :smile:

Hey everyone!!
I’ve just recently bought my first 2005 city in sky blue off of poshmark.
It’s overall in pretty fair condition that I’m happy with but the leather just seems a bit dry and could really use a clean or condition. It also just appears slightly dirty; but also could be slightly yellowed due to fade. I’ve never cleaned or conditioned any bal bags of mine, or any bag at all so i’m just a bit hesitant to do so as Im scared of messing it all up! I’m wondering if anyone has any suggestions on a cleaner and conditioner to use and how exactly should i go about doing this process? Also if anyone else has had a bag in this color/year and if they experienced yellowing as well? Is there anyway to deal with it?
(hope this is the right thread)
TIA!

DBED38C0-3FA5-4836-8033-A585899675BD.jpeg

D334A3B3-35C0-46AE-B613-731268256995.jpeg

Reactions: Monz1987
pretty color....you'll probably want to be more careful with this color than you would with a dark color like black. I think Apple care cleaner and conditioner is gentle and won't hurt it but won't make a dramatic difference either. probably someone here will have better advice.

Reactions: miumiu666
Hey everyone!!
It’s overall in pretty fair condition that I’m happy with but the leather just seems a bit dry and could really use a clean or condition. It also just appears slightly dirty; but also could be slightly yellowed due to fade. I’ve never cleaned or conditioned any bal bags of mine, or any bag at all so i’m just a bit hesitant to do so as Im scared of messing it all up! I’m wondering if anyone has any suggestions on a cleaner and conditioner to use and how exactly should i go about doing this process? Also if anyone else has had a bag in this color/year and if they experienced yellowing as well? Is there anyway to deal with it?
TIA!

View attachment 5084393

View attachment 5084394
Leather CPR i found is fabulous for giving a bag a nice clean and condition. I did it with my 2006 emerald city and it worked wonders.

Hey everyone!!
TIA!

View attachment 5084393

View attachment 5084394
I had a 2005 Black City so not the same color but the leather looked wonderful. Only problem was it had a waxy buildup on it that I could not permanently remove without some pretty invasive chemicals. I recommend using something that is specifically meant for chevre or something light like Leather CPR for cleaning and conditioning. Lovin' my bags also has some good products for Bal leathers though they are a tad expensive.

Hey everyone!!
TIA!

View attachment 5084393

View attachment 5084394
I've used Leather CPR on all sorts of bags. Most of my bags are darker colours but I've used it on my saddle-coloured browns and it's been fine.

Leather CPR i found is fabulous for giving a bag a nice clean and condition. I did it with my 2006 emerald city and it worked wonders.
I had a 2005 Black City so not the same color but the leather looked wonderful. Only problem was it had a waxy buildup on it that I could not permanently remove without some pretty invasive chemicals. I recommend using something that is specifically meant for chevre or something light like Leather CPR for cleaning and conditioning. Lovin' my bags also has some good products for Bal leathers though they are a tad expensive.
I've used Leather CPR on all sorts of bags. Most of my bags are darker colours but I've used it on my saddle-coloured browns and it's been fine.

Seems like the GP votes leather CPR!
I’ve just picked some up and am very nervous to apply anything to my bags as I’ve never done so before.
First time for everything!
Will update you all with photos when Ive finished.
Just to make sure... I only apply with with a sponge, let it soak for a minute or two and then wipe it clean correct? Then done? Should I repeat this process?
Hope I don’t sound too clueless...

Seems like the GP votes leather CPR!
I’ve just picked some up and am very nervous to apply anything to my bags as I’ve never done so before.
First time for everything!
Will update you all with photos when Ive finished.
Just to make sure... I only apply with with a sponge, let it soak for a minute or two and then wipe it clean correct? Then done? Should I repeat this process?
Hope I don’t sound too clueless...
Pretty much. Give it a good buff when it’s dry.

I believe they’ve all finished drying... I am very happy with how the 2005 leather turned out. It feels much softer and hydrated, and the yellowing has been helped very much, only still remaining on some top panel portions. I was really impressed so I tried it out on a few agneau bags and I was really blown away at the transformation. My spring 11 Grenadine city had faded to basically a white and after a few coats it’s feels so much softer and the color has almost returned to its original state, even the patina on the handles look much cleaner. And the same with my ss10 papete city.. the fade wasn’t anyway near as severe, but still the color looks much more saturated and the leather looks and feels much more hydrated. My black city too feels a lot cleaner. You’ve all been extremely helpful... Thank you all very much. I can’t wait to use these bags again after a long time of not reaching for them as much..

Attachments

• 1789A167-7471-4222-97FA-0A7FD0E52952.jpeg
    1789A167-7471-4222-97FA-0A7FD0E52952.jpeg
    221.9 KB · Views: 45
  • EF8FB646-B01C-43DC-9E9C-3F623A503CD2.jpeg
    EF8FB646-B01C-43DC-9E9C-3F623A503CD2.jpeg
    220.7 KB · Views: 48
  • CCB49CA1-033A-42A5-A4AC-7A53083311DC.jpeg
    CCB49CA1-033A-42A5-A4AC-7A53083311DC.jpeg
    212.5 KB · Views: 45
I believe they’ve all finished drying... I am very happy with how the 2005 leather turned out. It feels much softer and hydrated, and the yellowing has been helped very much, only still remaining on some top panel portions. I was really impressed so I tried it out on a few agneau bags and I was really blown away at the transformation. My spring 11 Grenadine city had faded to basically a white and after a few coats it’s feels so much softer and the color has almost returned to its original state, even the patina on the handles look much cleaner. And the same with my ss10 papete city.. the fade wasn’t anyway near as severe, but still the color looks much more saturated and the leather looks and feels much more hydrated. My black city too feels a lot cleaner. You’ve all been extremely helpful... Thank you all very much. I can’t wait to use these bags again after a long time of not reaching for them as much..
Well done, the Grenadine especially, that's an amazing difference from how you described it looked before CPR. I use mainly Collonil but I guess I need to try and find CPR as well.

They look good...Leather CPR is great for softening leather, I slather it on my bags.

They look good...Leather CPR is great for softening leather, I slather it on my bags.
I agree. I have two spring 2011 cities (the grenadine and one in nuage) and both were quite dry, I’d read on a different forum that ss11 was a dry season, but both are quite soft now and feel really hydrated. I wasn’t expecting it to help the color of them either especially not as much as they did. Seems like the agneau really gets dried out from the sun.

Last edited: