Regretting my tank francaise …what to do?

akoko

O.G.
Oct 18, 2010
Hi ladies,

I’ve been thinking for a while about starting this thread. I’m not really sure if there is anything I can do, but I would appreciate any thoughts, advise or support.
About 3 years ago, my lovely in-laws gave me the option of choosing a high- end watch as an engagement present. My parents gave my now-hubby the same present. We all went together, and I have to confess that the various opinions might have influenced my decision. This was definitely a very big purchase, that I don’t see myself repeating in the near future. (I also have a ss rolex perpetual which was a present from my parents when I graduated. Its, been more then 10 yrs since then, I I still love that watch.)
At the time I was between a rolex, date-just two tone, the ballon-bleu or the tank francaise. Although have always leaned towards round, ss watches, I chose a two tone large tank francaise. I was between the medium or the large and I chose the large between I definitely wanted an automatic watch.
I have buyers remorse about the watch. I don’t know exactly what it is, but I always have this doubt that I chose the wrong one. A key doubt is fact that I went with the 2 tone, as I feel that the large tank is more sporty and would look better as ss.

My options now are
1. do nothing. It was a present and it would be rude to change it.
2. Sell it and buy another watch. This is a difficult one. I am afraid of insulting my in laws if they find out and I would probably need to buy a second hand watch. Not sure where to start with that…
3. Buying a ss bracelet from Cartier to put on my watch. I have talked to a Cartier boutique and they would be willing to do that. It wouldn’t be very cheap, but I have been saving for another purchase would be able to do this instead. This way, I still have the two tone bracelet if a chose to go back to it. But, do you think it would be weird that the screw would be gold and the rest of the watch ss? Would it look bad?

Apologies for the long post. I would really appreciate your thoughts.

Maybe buy the SS or try a leather strap? Or maybe say something that the face is too big for your wrist and it's irritating the skin underneath it so you want to trade to for something that won't do that? My Michelle did that to me it was too heavy and tight.

Unfortunately you are in a sticky place, you can modify the watch at authorized dealers. But it will lose value. I would try your bracelet idea

It is a tough one for sure. I think if it were a present from my inlaws, I would feel obligated to keep it. But I know they would want me to be happy. Maybe you could have a heart to heart with them before you make your decision and gauge their reaction first…..

That is a shame. I love love love my TF in mixed metals, but I went with the smaller size.

If your in-laws are open to things like this, then have a discussion with them. If not, the ss band is probably the best idea.

Personally, I'd find a dealer and trade it for the one you truly want. If the in-laws ask you can say you had a style change of heart and didn't want to hurt their feelings, but you are in love with the new one and so grateful for their gorgeous gift, etc. etc.

I had a santos for a long time and one day I just decided it dated me. I traded it in for the watch I have now and I don't regret it for one minute.

Good luck!

I am not sure if this is possible but does the BB have the same strap as the tank franchise? If so, might be a better deal to just but the ss BB and that way you can interchange the straps

I am in the same situation as you. My MIL bought the two tone lady santos. I really dislike it now because it seems too small of a watch for me. However, I decided to keep it and now it is in the safe doing nothing. I didn't know how to sell it. Also, it didn't seem like it would be worth too much to sell it. Sorry for not being helpful, but I know how you feel.

I am in the same situation as you. My MIL bought the two tone lady santos. I really dislike it now because it seems too small of a watch for me. However, I decided to keep it and now it is in the safe doing nothing. I didn't know how to sell it. Also, it didn't seem like it would be worth too much to sell it. Sorry for not being helpful, but I know how you feel.

Find a dealer who sells pre-owned and new Cartier (authorized dealer) and ask about a trade-in.

I did that for my Santos about 5 years ago. I'm not sure if Cartier still has authorized dealers in the US that do that. I ended up having to pay more for the watch, but the loss of money was worth the gain in style. I got 20% off on the new one at the time and upgraded from SS to SS/YG on the band. So worth it.

I would do 1 or 3. I would not sell a gift from my in-laws to buy another watch. I say this because my in-laws gave me a Tiffany & co purse one year for Christmas. They worked so hard to track it down after seeing it in a catalog and this was when Tiffany first started making handbags. When I got the bag I felt it was just too big for me and that I wouldn't carry it so I ended up exchanging it for some jewelry. Although I love the jewelry I picked and wear it I to this day still feel total guilt that I exchanged their gift. I told them I did this and why since the bag was too big and they never made me feel bad or gave me a hard time about it, but I vowed after that to never exchange a gift from them again since it has really weighed on me since I did that. In your situation since you actually had the choice to pick what you want even if you were influenced one way or another you had the final decision so I would just stick with it or alter it and try to change the band. It is even more meaningful that your dh has a coordinating one and that it marked your engagement.

It is a tough one for sure. I think if it were a present from my inlaws, I would feel obligated to keep it. But I know they would want me to be happy. Maybe you could have a heart to heart with them before you make your decision and gauge their reaction first…..

hm...you're right...I would probably need to talk to them first. But just the thought makes me cringe. It might hurt their feelings and it was such a lovely generous gift that I would never want to do that. So maybe that rules out the selling it option...

If you can change all the HW to SS, I think that would be a good change that they might not notice. I'm not a big mixed metal person on watches.

This is the option I'm leaning towards. The bracelet can be changed, but I dont think the crown (which is gold) can. Do you think that would look bad? or would it pass un-noticed?

I am not sure if this is possible but does the BB have the same strap as the tank franchise? If so, might be a better deal to just but the ss BB and that way you can interchange the straps

I would love to be able to do that! Unfortunatelly in the near future I don't see myself buying another high-end watch. This is why this purchase is so important to me.