Regretting my tank francaise …what to do?

I see nothing wrong with exchanging/selling for a new one. Peoples tastes can change over time. I would let them know this is what you plan to do. It will still be special as it is still from them if not indirectly.

Since I was little, I was taught the best way to show appreciation for a gift was to wear it for the gifter. Since then, I've tried putting on the wearable gift at least once when I know I'll see the person. I'd imagine with an expensive gift with a larger sentimental value that I picked out, this behavior should be magnified. It would be weird if your in laws saw you in the watch you exchanged their gift for and asked you how you got it.

This is obviously a personal decision and it sounds like you are already leaning in one direction, but my recommendation is keep the watch and learn to enjoy it. As another poster said, you can always buy another one for yourself down the line. And who knows, maybe in another few years, your taste will change and this will be the watch of your dreams. :smile:

This reminds me... my grandmother gave me a nice wallet which she bought months ago. I immediately thought, oh yay, I can sell it and get something else, which is exactly what I did. The wallet was red and I'm not into red AT ALL. But... once I sold it, I felt SO guilty, I couldn't even sleep that night and felt sick to my stomach. I just kept thinking, "she saw that wallet and thought of me and decided to buy it" and that meant a lot to me because money is tight for her and she's helped me out financially a lot in the past. She didn't buy it for any special occasion, it's not like she was on a hunt to find me something. She just saw it and thought of me so it meant a lot.

Anyway, I found the same wallet on eBay for more than I sold it for but I bought it anyway. I know it's not THE one she bought me, but it's all the same imo. This literally happened last week and I'm still waiting for it to arrive but I have a feeling it's gonna be my new favorite wallet now lol

I know it's not the same situation as yours, but I felt like maybe you could relate. I would go with option #3 if I were you. You keep the watch which I'm assuming means a lot and you can fit it better to your liking. Especially if it has sentimental value.

Reactions: WildRose89
The two tone TF is a really classic jewellery piece. Do you think your jewellery tastes may change in time? I have worn a ss Omega for the last ten years and recently DH has bought me an over-sized two tone watch, which I adore. Ten years ago I would have never pictured myself wearing this watch, as all the jewellery I wear is Platinum/WG. It has opened a whole new jewellery look and wishlist for me ;).

It would be great to see a picture of you wearing your TF. I would consider speaking to your in-laws. I am sure they would want you to be happy. If you don't feel you can, maybe you could just wear it as an occasional piece. At least you still have your beautiful Rolex. Very best of luck xxx

Last edited:
Hi ladies. THank you for your replies!

I had a chat with DH about it. He isn't sure about how his parents would react, but he thinks that his mother might get a bit hurt. So, for now, I will keep the watch. I'm still considering the option of replacing the two tone bracelet. As I will keep both bracelets and I can change back to it, I don't think that this will be an issue.

I'm still debating whether it will look weird, with the gold crown. I'll post a photo....

Last edited:
what do you ladies think? keep it as it is or change the bracelet?
What if I can't change the crown? So far, it seems like no one thinks it would be a big deal, but it worries me. Buying an extra cartier bracelet wouldn't be cheap, so I want to make sure I'm not making another mistake....

what do you ladies think? keep it as it is or change the bracelet?
What if I can't change the crown? So far, it seems like no one thinks it would be a big deal, but it worries me. Buying an extra cartier bracelet wouldn't be cheap, so I want to make sure I'm not making another mistake....

If the two-tone bracelet is really the only thing bothering you, it's probably worth buying the SS bracelet. You're the only one who knows if you will wear the watch when it's done!

As for the YG crown, I would keep it: it's the part that proves that it's still the same watch, but also what will make this watch completely unique. It's a great reminder!
(it's not weirder than the blue crown of the Ballon bleu, or the tiny pink saphire on all jewels of a brand whose name currently escapes me)

And if you go with this option, maybe you can tell your in-laws that you're doing it before it's done, just as heads-up. Changing a bracelet is nothing like changing a watch, specially since you're keeping the 2 tone

Last edited:
And if you go with this option, maybe you can tell your in-laws that you're doing it before it's done, just as heads-up. Changing a bracelet is nothing like changing a watch, specially since you're keeping the 2 tone

I agree with keeping the watch and giving your in-laws as a heads-up about making a change. I actually like the TT - it's quite versatile, but then again, it's you wearing the watch, not me!

You can explain the changing of the bracelet as "giving yourself more options." It shows that you still appreciate and enjoy the gift and are just finding a new way to wear it. I wouldn't see anything wrong with someone changing out the band of a watch if I were to gift it. S/he still kept the watch, after all. I don't think it's such an issue with the gold crown. You would really be the only one noticing it because you know it's there. I assure you most people won't care or notice that it's "off." It's quite tiny - I wouldn't sweat it.

Do you absolutely need to sell this watch and buy a new one? It seems like you've already got quite the collection.

Since this watch has very sentimental reasons (marking your engagement) I would absolutely keep the watch. Even if you still hate the watch 10 years down the road, how do you know your future children wouldn't like the style? I look at the present as an heirloom with a very special story. I adore jewellery like this. But, that's jmho!

Last edited:
Reactions: WildRose89
I think the 2 tone bracelet looks fine on you. The only thing you might need is some other bracelets around it to keep it company. Perhaps if you got another bracelet or so, you might change your mind about it...

The TF looks stunning on you. :loveeyes: The two tone is very subtle and the sizing of the watch is perfect. I agree with saligator, try stacking it with other bracelets. I think in time you may regret making changes to the watch bracelet...

Thank you ladies for your support and advise!

I am very happy to hear that no one thinks the gold crown in a ss bracelet would be a problem. It would make the watch unique - and in concept it is similar to BN having a bleu safire crown.

I'm going to visit a Cartier boutique over the weekend to discuss the possibility of chaniging the bracelet (and the cost!). Will keep you posted!

If you buy the ss bracelet and the parents notice it tell them it was getting banged up and you wanted to protect it from day to day activities for it to last longer for the ability to hand down the watch one day. I think that will be satisfactory