Received bag patent bag FOLDED by eBay seller..how do I approach this?

Dec 18, 2009
Hi all,
I just received my HG bag from an eBay seller. When I got the box I already knew that it was NOT wide enough for the width of the bag, and my fears were right when I opened it up and the bag was FOLDED. This is a patent leather bag and the folding and smooshing of this bag into the box has caused irreparable creases and wrinkling that are very noticeable to the front of it.

I don't know what to do here, this bag is almost impossible to find and now it gets here and it looks like crap.

How do I approach the seller about this? I don't want to return it, I don't even want a partial refund...I don't have buyer's remorse. I just want the seller to see how upset I am over the condition I received this bag, and I want them to know that this was utterly stupid and wrong to package the bag like that.

I mean I went with this seller because they have glowing feedback, great pictures, a good shipping method..I even paid more for it because of those things.

Please ignore the typo in the title, I'm typing through tears thanks to lovely hormones.

Last edited:
Here's some pictures to give you an idea of the wrinkling at the front.
20120615_164032.jpg

20120615_164051.jpg

The fold at the back of the bag.
20120615_164109.jpg

Well your seller was certainly careless in packing the item & they should know

that.. Why would you want to keep a bag with such visible markings?? Do

you not think that you won't find it again???

You need to share your disappointment as nicely as you can.. let' see how

your seller responds...

I just looked at the pics... I would not want to keep this bag with those

creases..but that's me... perhaps sleep on it & seehow you feel about the

bag tomorrow

Keep us posted

Well your seller was certainly careless in packing the item & they should know

that.. Why would you want to keep a bag with such visible markings?? Do

you not think that you won't find it again???

You need to share your disappointment as nicely as you can.. let' see how

your seller responds... keep us posted
I paid $50 for shipping, and it would cost me at least $30 to ship it back to the seller from here. I'd be out $80 on top of the cost of the bag I paid, not to mention having to pay $40 shipping to re-buy the bag from another eBay seller.

There is only one other seller on this bag on eBay and because it was discontinued almost a year ago it's unbelievably hard to find now.

Does this sound terrible? I'm trying to think this through with as level a head as possible. Is there anything I should change or add to it? *edit* I already sent it after the okay from DH.

Hi there,
I just received the bag and I wanted to thank you for the prompt shipping of it.

However, I am so upset at how you packaged the bag. The box was not wide enough for the width of the bag, and your folding of the bag has caused significant creases and wrinkles on the bag that will never come out.

I'm not sure where to go from here, I'm incredibly disappointed and sad. I was very excited for this bag, I know how hard it is to find..

Thank you,

Last edited:
I would write and tell the seller what would make you happy - return of the bag and the seller pays for shipping in both directions?

Otherwise if you want to keep the purse, I would reflect my disappointment with the seller with appropriate feedback.

I received a reply...all it said was.
Since the bag already winkle. just return the bag I will give you full refund.

I mean I want to keep this bag, all I want is an acknowledgement and an apology that the bag was improperly packaged. My husband has stuffed the front of the bag to see if some of the wrinkles can't be worked out, it looks better already..so he says to leave it a day or two.

I would write and tell the seller what would make you happy - return of the bag and the seller pays for shipping in both directions?

Otherwise if you want to keep the purse, I would reflect my disappointment with the seller with appropriate feedback.
What type of feedback would you leave? Could you possibly help me out with that? I've never had to deal with anything like this on eBay before, and I'm not good with that. I'm much better with positive feedback.

I don't know if I would nail her feedback; she has offered to take it back. There is no way for her to go back in time and fix this. Is she an experienced seller? If you decide to keep it, maybe leave no feedback? But, definitely, make sure she understands she messed up and is lucky to have a buyer as understanding as you are. :smile:

I mean I want to keep this bag, all I want is an acknowledgement and an apology that the bag was improperly packaged. My husband has stuffed the front of the bag to see if some of the wrinkles can't be worked out, it looks better already..so he says to leave it a day or two.

For whatever the reason is, the seller is not responding to you in the

manner that you deem appropriate... see if the wrinkles do come out

they just might and as far as feedback goes you might want to say

something like careless packaging by seller...and perhaps ding her

on the shipping... and I would leave a neutral.. I don't think you

are going to get the 'apology" from the seller that you expect.. sorry about that

I feel strongly about how things are packaged & sent.. there should

be special attention paid to that.. perhaps stuffing the bag with tissue

paper & certainly putting it in the right size box is important.. your

seller was very careless here & I will add at your emotional expense

as you are so upset & the bag is very difficult to find & replace as

you have noted...keep us posted

I agree with your DH about giving it a couple of days. Another thing you MAY want to try is putting some weight in the bottom of the bag, and hanging it from a doorknob or similar. Only try THAT once you see how your DH's treatment turns out, though.

Since the seller has suggested you return the bag, I don't think you will EVER get acknowledgement that the packing was badly done. EVER. So IMHO you need to let go of that desire, and decide if you want to leave FB that says something like "Very poorly packed, seller offered refund" or "Seller offered refund for bag ruined by poor packing" "So poorly packed item was wrecked" or something along those lines.

Personally I'd hold off for a couple of days and see how the "fix" DH is trying works on it, before communicating again.

So sorry your HG has turned into such a disappointment.

This does sound like a disappointing situation- sorry to hear your HG got mutilated in transit:sad:. My advice on further communication with the seller is this: drop it and don't contact them again unless it's to send them the tracking number for your return post of the damaged bag. If you don't want a refund, there's no reason for further engagement except to leave whatever feedback you feel is appropriate (I would think twice about a negative, since the seller offered a return, but neutral feels about right, I think). If I was the seller, I'd have responded more politely, but it definitely doesn't sound like you're going to get anything other than the return offer. Since you don't want to return the bag even though you feel it's been badly damaged, I wouldn't continue to seek or expect a mea culpa from the seller. Hope it's fixable, good luck!

I don't know if I would nail her feedback; she has offered to take it back. There is no way for her to go back in time and fix this. Is she an experienced seller? If you decide to keep it, maybe leave no feedback? But, definitely, make sure she understands she messed up and is lucky to have a buyer as understanding as you are. :smile:
*Very* experienced seller, nearly 2500 feedbacks and 100% positive, many of which mention her good packaging. That's why I went with her instead of the one other eBayer with less feedback/worse pictures etc. I always try to be understanding and give the seller the benefit of the doubt...I feel like she assumed right away that I was a greedy Gus looking to return it because of buyer's remorse.

there should

be special attention paid to that.. perhaps stuffing the bag with tissue

paper & certainly putting it in the right size box is important..
I agree, I could never ever send any of my items like that. I don't sell on eBay but I do sell/trade in some Facebook groups and forums and I even go as far as sending photos of how I packaged the item to make sure it's okay if I'm at all concerned about it. I will update in here how it's doing.

I agree with your DH about giving it a couple of days. Another thing you MAY want to try is putting some weight in the bottom of the bag, and hanging it from a doorknob or similar. Only try THAT once you see how your DH's treatment turns out, though.

Since the seller has suggested you return the bag, I don't think you will EVER get acknowledgement that the packing was badly done. EVER. So IMHO you need to let go of that desire, and decide if you want to leave FB that says something like "Very poorly packed, seller offered refund" or "Seller offered refund for bag ruined by poor packing" "So poorly packed item was wrecked" or something along those lines.

Personally I'd hold off for a couple of days and see how the "fix" DH is trying works on it, before communicating again.

So sorry your HG has turned into such a disappointment.
I really want to tell the seller that I wish they would've accepted responsibility for the condition of the bag. I'd be utterly mortified but I feel like by that reply the seller knew exactly what they were doing.

This does sound like a disappointing situation- sorry to hear your HG got mutilated in transit:sad:. My advice on further communication with the seller is this: drop it and don't contact them again unless it's to send them the tracking number for your return post of the damaged bag. If you don't want a refund, there's no reason for further engagement except to leave whatever feedback you feel is appropriate (I would think twice about a negative, since the seller offered a return, but neutral feels about right, I think). If I was the seller, I'd have responded more politely, but it definitely doesn't sound like you're going to get anything other than the return offer. Since you don't want to return the bag even though you feel it's been badly damaged, I wouldn't continue to seek or expect a mea culpa from the seller. Hope it's fixable, good luck!
I really do wish the seller would've just said, I'm sorry. I don't want to hear of that happening to anyone else because of this seller. I don't understand how a seller with such a good reputation and stellar feedback could do that. Thank you for the good luck, I think I need it.

I love that your hubby is trying to help you, how sweet!