RANT: Why do I look older than my age?

OP came here to rant about looking older just to get a buncha people say that they look younger (which by the way, i find hard to believe for EVERYone)? How does that help? I think most will agree that looking younger is better in the long run, even if you try to make it a "problem" (it really only is for like, teenagers who want to look older).

To everyone saying they look older, I think it's hard to say what is possibly making people mistake you as that without seeing you. It's not always about the face and body, style is a big part as well. Just continue to be healthy, avoid the sun, and keep your hair, makeup, and clothes modern and stylish.

Don't worry. I've always looked older for my age too. When I was in my teens, I had really bad acne and people always thought I was 5-10 years older. It was so embarrassing and it really depressed me at times. Whenever student discounts were available, my ID would be scrutinized more because I looked older so I hated asking for the discount.

Now I'm in my mid-20's and people STILL tend to think I'm a few years older than I actually am. It still bugs me occasionally but I figure I'll grow into it and actually reach that age I supposedly look. I'm getting closer.

It also doesn't help that I'm kind of an old soul anyways and I act more mature than most people my age. I think I developed that due to looking older. I do dress my age though.

Last edited:
It's weird how these kind of things work. I think your environment has a lot to do with it.

For example: At work everyone assumes that I am 23-25 years old. Maybe because I have a bit of authority and they assume that I must be in my twenties to have that position?

In public people usually guess correctly and often a little bit younger than I actually am.

I am 18. I think sometimes it just depends on the conditions around you that could perhaps influence people's perception of your age.

I have high cheek bone too (more obvious when I smile) and I don't like it because my ex said I looked fat because of it. Bad experience I know. Now I try to appreciate myself more and don't listen to what other people say unless it's constructive criticism.

I'd say pick the style that suits you the most. Pony tail and natural make up like lily suggested would be nice. Try to find the colours that suit you and appreciate yourself.

Wow I would do anything to look my age or look a bit older :sad: I'm 22 and asian like you but I'm always mistaken as a high schooler. 2 weeks ago at target, I was at the cosmetic section looking for some makeup for a party. I probably looked confused because I rarely wear makeup and didn't know what to get. A 30 something old woman (I think lol) standing next to me looks at me and says,"Going into high school?" she was pretty shocked when I told her I'm 22 lol. I'm quite thin but I definitely have the chipmunk cheeks. Pretty sure that and smiling makes me look younger.

I noticed smiling tends to make people look younger (well most anyway). Also the amount of makeup. Wearing simple/no makeup gives a youthful glow. Harsh eye makeup such as thick black eyeliner can make someone look older. Nude/neutral eyeshadows rather than dark eyeshadow looks youthful IMO.

Kitties Are Cute said:
OP came here to rant about looking older just to get a buncha people say that they look younger (which by the way, i find hard to believe for EVERYone)? How does that help? I think most will agree that looking younger is better in the long run, even if you try to make it a "problem" (it really only is for like, teenagers who want to look older).

To everyone saying they look older, I think it's hard to say what is possibly making people mistake you as that without seeing you. It's not always about the face and body, style is a big part as well. Just continue to be healthy, avoid the sun, and keep your hair, makeup, and clothes modern and stylish.

Very well said!

I look older than my age too and I think it's just the way my features are put together. I take care of my skin and I don't go out into the sun very much, etc, etc but I still look older.

Anyways, looking older doesn't always mean bad. Angelina Jolie looks old for her age, but she's still beautiful while I know some people who are 30 and have the faces of elementary school kids which is not a good thing.

I am totally the same. I am only 21 years old but have often been mistaken to look much older. When I was 19 a 40 year old tried to pick me up... When I told him I was 19, his face looked visibly schocked. He's like sorry, "I thought you were at least 28." When I was thirteen they served me liquor and I took it without arguing. I hold on to the belief that my aging process stops now and I'll have the same face for the next thirty years. :biggrin:

It's not always genetics-- my sister is only 2 years older than me but on her 16th birthday someone thought she was my mother lol! She looks much older than her age, and I look about 10-12 years younger than I am currently.
Styling and personality play a pretty big part I think.

Just wanted to throw this out there - from 14-24 everyone assumed I was older than I was. I regularly got hit on by older people who would then recoil when they found out I was 16. So yeah. Now, at 31, people assume I'm about 26. There was a point between about 25-28 where people were right on, but that's about it. So, this may just be a passing phase, and you may luck out and find an age to "stick" at for awhile. My friends and I do joke that the magic trifecta is eye cream, sunscreen, and no kids yet though :smile:

It's usually genetics. Do you have bags under your eyes?

For me personally, I looked much older than I really was when I was in my teens and early 20s. Now that I am almost approaching 30, I have started to be complimented often that I look younger. Maybe it just takes time for you to grow into the looks

I've found that I look significantly older when I am too thin. Trying to maintain a balance between too thin and too big works for me (in addition to lots of sunscreen).