RANT: Why do I look older than my age?

If it makes you feel any better, even though I look younger than 36 I DO have to put some effort into it. You see, I have had gray hair since I was 16. If I didn't dye/highlight my hair regularly I'd be salt and pepper. I'll bet if I didn't do that people would think either I was age appropriate or older!

I am turning 30 and when i take my kids out people get all shock that i even have kids. I get stared at all the time. Everyone think i'm under 18 and not once have i don't get carded. It is very very annoying to have to prove to everyone that i'm really 29.

I know how you feel when here everyone is telling you that they look younger than their age. i am 23 and i look 5 years older for my age. I am 5.4" and i tell you, I have perfect body that girls get jealous, i get compliments everyday that I have very pretty blk eyes, I have long beautiful balck hair, everything is perfect BUT...its my face that makes me look older. Lines around my lips and nose, ( thanks to mom who gave me these lines :cry:smile:. I am in college and honestly i dont go out with a 23 yrs old guy cz i know he will look younger than me.
And i couldnt find anything for this. :sad:

Last edited:
I def. look younger than my age.

I'm almost 25 & get high school boys (on bikes/not old enough to drive LOL) that try to talk to me while I'm driving. I think it's hilarious. My friend was driving the car in front of me & heard them yelling. We were laughing the entire time.

Another time my mom sold something on craigslist & the buyers were coming to pick the item up. As soon as they saw me they assumed I went to middle school w/ their daughter. My mom & I looked at each other & started cracking up. I politely told them I was 21 & have a baby already:smile:

Once when I went shopping with my mother the clerk at a store asked me if I had the day off of school. I was 28 at the time! Up until a couple of years ago people kept asking me what grade I was in and so forth. Now at least people think I am 20-22. I'm ok with that but still it gets embarassing.

Perhaps if you were brave enough -- I don't think I would be -- you could post up a picture of how you look [or crop it in half, if you feel better] and we could give you some ideas on how to improve your appearance?

You might think you dress OK but we might think your look is a bit drab, you know? Perhaps it's your make-up and how you apply it? It's hard to gauge when we can't see you.

Either way, it's your call. Just a suggestion.

I have to agree that looking older or younger than your age doesn't guarantee aging well or poorly. In other words, the person who could pass for 30 at 22 will not necessarily look 40 when they are 32. Indeed, they may stay looking in their 30's well into their 40's and 50's.

People who are very "cute" on the other hand, do not necessarily age well. When the inevitable signs of aging start to appear on what was a very youthful, cute face they may be more easily apparent than the same signs would be on a classically pretty face that looked older when they were young.

So don't despair! It is also true that when people are dressed professionally and carry themselves confidently they often get mistaken for older. In that case, it might be a good thing that you are mistaken for older!

I completely agree with this quote! My mom is in her early 60's but is often mistaken for being in her early fourties, however, I am almost 20 and up until recently people always thought I was a few years older than my age. :/ It always annoyed me, however, recently I went to get my makeup done at Macy's and the lady assumed I was in high school and people have told me I look 19-20 now -- which is my correct age. I also take good care of my health, although I have undereye wrinkles due to allergies growing up (always rubbing my eyes). I noticed that in photos of my mom, she looked
older than her age until her mid-twenties, and then she started looking young for her age lol! So, hopefully soon you will start being mistaken for being younger than your age!
Also, look on the bright side: high school students want to look like college students and most men want to date a young women, not a little kid.
I am sure that even with your mature features you get hit on a lot -- I know I do, and even by younger guys! xD
BTW: I have high, but not prominent cheek bones, and I am my healthy weight and 4'11" so I don't think height or weight necessarily plays a role in how old someone looks (although it can).
Just keep doing what you are doing, and if you still look older when you are older then there is always botox! ;)

PS: I'm white, but my Chinese boyfriend looks older than many Chinese guys. Although he has a baby face and large eyes, he has a LOT of hair (even after shaving, he has a shadow, and he also has chest hair that pokes out sometimes :P), he also has a very muscular build. So, not all asians look young for their age.

i agree with others some poeple just have a certain look to them i kno a couple of guys that are 19 and they look like 40 year old men no joke for me its the other way around i look younger i am 19 and many people keep mistaking me for a 16 year old its just the way you look that throws ppl off

I don't tan, don't smoke, don't drink, don't party. I drink a lot of water, always use sunscreen every single day, eat somewhat healthy, etc...

Ever since I was younger, people would mistake me for 5 years older than I really am. When I was 16, I looked 21. Now I'm 22 and I could probably pass for 30.

When I'm dressed casually, I look a bit more my age, but when I dress up in nice, sophisticated clothing I get approached by a lot of older men in their late 20's early 30's (but that's only when I'm not with my friends because they look a lot younger...they're 21/22, but could pass for 16...18). The men approach me thinking that I'm more of their age, but when I speak they're surprised by how young I sound (I have a young-sounding valley girl kind of voice).

When I go to certain places, I don't get carded (only 50/50). When I was younger and 16 y/o...sometimes places wouldn't even card me. I don't know if they were being nice and lenient or is it really because I look that old? :sad:

My mom is around 50 and she looks great for her age! My dad looks great too! I don't know what went wrong with my genes lol!
Dude,

dis is EXACTLY da same im going thru.. i feel so embrassed at times... really need some1 advice... Kindly Help me too :sad:

I agree with others - it will balance out. There probably isn't one thing that is causing it because everyone is different. I know people that have lost weight and they actually look older because there is no fat to fill out the wrinkles anymore. lol I know people who wear heavy makeup and they look younger. You never know.

Just continue to follow a good skin care regimen and smile often. I personally think age is determined by your inner spirit and attitude - some people are naturally mature whereas others have a "young" vibe about them. Just enjoy who you are.

Good luck Jack!

I also look older than my age. It used to be good but now that I'm in my mid twenties, it's not so cool anymore.

One thing that makes you look older is dark eye makeup. Also, hair plays a big part too. Other than that, there's not much you can do if you already take care of your body and skin. *sighs*

I once remember walking around Dave & Busters ( a gaming arcade mostly for adults, but kids during the day) and it was just as their 18 and older cut off was starting, I got carded 3x in an hour period at 21yrs old for not being with a parent (they thought I was under 18, anyone at that age had to be with a parent at all times). Now, I'm early 30's and had coworkers from Germany comment they thought I was early/mid 20's. I don't mind it, but I do want to ensure I take care of myself by eating better and sleeping better or I will end up aging myself unintentionally!