Quiet luxury?

Makolee

Jan 10, 2023
With all this talk of quiet luxury these days, I was curious as to what you all may think about the future of Chanel bags. Is she starting to fizzle out or will she remain a classic for years to come?

I think clothes will take the biggest hit. No more loud logos or things like plain tees with the brand name on it right thru the middle.

I think brands will come out with more understated styles for sure. Imagine us back in the PST, Cerf era but more current…oooh that would be nice

But people will still hold onto handbags, belts, and shoes for their “visible” luxuries imo.

I don’t think there’s anything “quiet” about Chanel at this point. I’m glad I have one Reissue at least. The logos on the clothes, the big “Chanel” lettering across the 22….not a fan. However, I do have a small Classic and a 19, so it’s a bit hypocritical of me to complain. :smile:

Perhaps if people are paying these astronomical prices, they want visible branding? I’m really enjoying the more understated Celine bags right now, so it’s good there are options.

Chanel may change through the years but will ultimately prevail, imo. After all. It’s Chanel!

Whether it’s quiet luxury or flashy luxury - if you have poor taste and style, both aren’t going to work in my opinion.

I’ve seen people donned in Brunello Cucinelli and Loro Piana head to toe but unfortunately they don’t understand the aesthetic well enough so they end up looking no different from that try-hard person who wears tacky flashy clothings. I think it’s very important to develop an authentic style and exquisite taste first to make any aesthetic work.

As for me, I’d rather focus on having my own authentic style than obsess over quiet luxury or follow trends. I could care less about those gen Z kids on TikTok telling me that my Chanel bags are out of style lol.

Whether it’s quiet luxury or flashy luxury - if you have poor taste and style, both aren’t going to work in my opinion.

I’ve seen people donned in Brunello Cucinelli and Loro Piana head to toe but unfortunately they don’t understand the aesthetic well enough so they end up looking no different from that try-hard person who wears tacky flashy clothings. I think it’s very important to develop an authentic style and exquisite taste first to make any aesthetic work.

As for me, I’d rather focus on having my own authentic style than obsess over quiet luxury or follow trends. I could care less about those gen Z kids on TikTok telling me that my Chanel bags are out of style lol.
1000% agree with all of the points you make here!

I don’t see the brand falling out of trend, but certainly some of the styles may fizzle out. Chanel has had flops before where a bag style was promo’d heavily but didn’t stick, in 2-3 years the 22 bag may be one of those fizzles given it’s myriad of quality issues and unimaginative design.

So, so true! Although it truly takes skill to look flashy and tacky in Brunello and Loro piana.

I really am turned off by any "influencer" telling me what is luxury or not. I will keep my collection and I have never been into wearing the "big logo" canvas or metal hardware on bags with the brands initials crazy big. Smaller ones have been my style. I have always bought ever piece of my wardrobe with versatility to go with Jeans or Work or Church or Social occasions. Some pieces may only be able to do two out of the 4, but that works for me. I do enjoy the "influencer" that shows how many really nice brands are out there aside from Chanel, LV or Hermes. But I can tell you I think a lot of the "Big Fashion Logos" look great on the models and the street style reporting. So viva le difference! To each their own!

I think "quiet luxury" as we see it on social media is just a trend. Of course, there always will be people who want to dress in a way you cannot recognize big names unless you're in the circle. But it is just trendy to mimic that type of people. I see too many post on social about how looking like old money, how looking like you belong to a group you will never be a part of in the end.
I believe the most important is to just like what you are wearing, not thinking that much if it's trendy. You can love loud fashion such as japanese designers with very creative and over-the-top look. You can also like to blend more with the crowd, not standing out. And all in the betweens.

What does annoy me is thinking big logo means that you are lacking of taste and the only thing nowadays that is tasteful is looking like (sorry to say this but) a "white very rich old lady who inherits her money from family or her husband" (aka old money trend). In some fashionspheres, we are calling this trend "oppressor core" and I do get where it comes from. It seems distastful to think someone is beneath us because he/she doesn't have a 20k blank coat and like their double C/monograms. To me, trying to look like old money poeple seems way much of a "try-hard" then wearing big logos.

So yes, I think Chanel won't stop being a classic piece to own. Because not everyone will get rid of their collection or are blindly following short trends and just keep their fashionstyle.

Last edited: