Quiet luxury?

Agree. But, I think the premier big brands are neither quiet nor luxury

People should buy what they love, will use, and what they can afford.

My SAs at premier big brands express some surprise at some of the steep price increases, and believe
1. most clients have enough and don’t actually need anything, so they really will have to love what they buy
2. if clients are shocked at prices, they will simply buy fewer but better items.
As usual, @880, I love your insights and the insights of your SAs! I am a mix of 1 and 2, as there is little I really need and some of these prices are no longer palatable. Even if I can afford it, do I really want to pay that much for it? Answering in the negative has influenced a sale (or lack thereof) on more than one occasion recently. I wonder if the big price increases will stop if merchandise is no longer moving? And all of these new releases? How sustainable can that be, both from a business and a climate perspective?

As for quiet luxury, I think it depends on your audience. Most big houses would go unnoticed where I work (no one would look twice at my Birkin, although my LV draws attention), so many luxury items I own don’t draw attention on the daily. Same with my hometown; even LV and Gucci might go unnoticed there. But there are other places, like the nicer malls in my area, or places I travel, even DD’s high school, where very little would be considered quiet since everyone seems to be in the know.

Thank you so much for your kind compliment @DME
You made my day :smile: ( emoticon bar not working lol)
The smaller bespoke or custom artisans still fly under the radar, some
purposely so, bc they are already at maximum capacity serving current clients.

ETA: although many parts of the world are perhaps in recession, premier luxury brands still rely on China
to bump up the numbers. So, merchandise is still moving at a fast clip in the upper echelons.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: baghabitz34 and DME
As usual, @880, I love your insights and the insights of your SAs! I am a mix of 1 and 2, as there is little I really need and some of these prices are no longer palatable. Even if I can afford it, do I really want to pay that much for it? Answering in the negative has influenced a sale (or lack thereof) on more than one occasion recently. I wonder if the big price increases will stop if merchandise is no longer moving? And all of these new releases? How sustainable can that be, both from a business and a climate perspective?

As for quiet luxury, I think it depends on your audience. Most big houses would go unnoticed where I work (no one would look twice at my Birkin, although my LV draws attention), so many luxury items I own don’t draw attention on the daily. Same with my hometown; even LV and Gucci might go unnoticed there. But there are other places, like the nicer malls in my area, or places I travel, even DD’s high school, where very little would be considered quiet since everyone seems to be in the know.
I agree 100%. Very well written. Most of the people in my city have no idea what a birkin is and don’t notice my Chanel bags. However I feel uncomfortable when I wear LV. Everyone knows monogram pieces here. Hermes is quiet luxury where I live, which I love.

• Thanks
Reactions: GoingRogue and DME
I agree 100%. Very well written. Most of the people in my city have no idea what a birkin is and don’t notice my Chanel bags. However I feel uncomfortable when I wear LV. Everyone knows monogram pieces here. Hermes is quiet luxury where I live, which I love.

I wore a vintage Chanel black lambskin waistcoat (vest) on Friday. Every button has bright CC on. It's pretty 'in your face', but only 'fashion people' (industry) even noticed, most people are busy with their own thoughts and never noticed.

These posts about Chanel and H being quiet are funny. I guess “quiet luxury” is the new buzz/clickbait phrase. Move over “investment piece” there’s a new sherif in town :giggle:
I can only remember Chanel Reissue, Picotin, Roulis, Bolide, Della Cavalleria and Kelly SO (bicolors exterior) are being a low-key ones. Not sure about Chanel 19?

Thank you so much for your kind compliment @DME
You made my day :smile: ( emoticon bar not working lol)
The smaller bespoke or custom artisans still fly under the radar, some
purposely so, bc they are already at maximum capacity serving current clients.

ETA: although many parts of the world are perhaps in recession, premier luxury brands still rely on China
to bump up the numbers. So, merchandise is still moving at a fast clip in the upper echelons.

They won't be able to rely on the Chinese market for long. China’s economy is slowing after three years of rotational lockdowns, a tanking real estate market that accounted for 1/3 of GDP, and rising unemployment. The luxury second hand market in China is over saturated from the previously well-off unloading bags and watches in attempt to free up capital. The reason China was such a fast growing market for luxury goods before was because of a robust middle class, where everybody and their grandma had to have a Chanel CF (in black caviar w/ GHW, always), but now with the widening wealth gap and uncertain economic climate, middle class spending is becoming a lot more focused on living essentials. So I think we can expect some normalization of stock globally as luxury consumption in China slows down.

They won't be able to rely on the Chinese market for long. China’s economy is slowing after three years of rotational lockdowns, a tanking real estate market that accounted for 1/3 of GDP, and rising unemployment. The luxury second hand market in China is over saturated from the previously well-off unloading bags and watches in attempt to free up capital. The reason China was such a fast growing market for luxury goods before was because of a robust middle class, where everybody and their grandma had to have a Chanel CF (in black caviar w/ GHW, always), but now with the widening wealth gap and uncertain economic climate, middle class spending is becoming a lot more focused on living essentials. So I think we can expect some normalization of stock globally as luxury consumption in China slows down.
Agree with you, esp. re the robust middle class :smile: . But some financial forecasts are still quite optimistic re top tier income spending in only the high end of premier luxury. A recent FT article factoid really surprised me, namely that the top 2% of chanel clients account for 40% of sales revenue. And, here is a quote from a 2023 report from Morgan Stanley (one of many such viewpoints)

xury goods sector—is expected to boost demand for high-end clothing, accessories and other items by 20% in 2023. Longer term, Chinese nationals are likely to account for 60% of total spending growth on personal luxury goods through 2030, driven by wealth as well as demographic, social and technological factors.

Last edited:
Alike to many other brands, they move away from middle class to focus on high spending clientele. I’m really curious of how sustainable that strategy would be because I always thought that selling more mid-to-low priced items (say, creams and perfumes in Chanel’s case) is more commercially viable than selling fewer items for high price.

Reactions: 880 and Cookinator
I get the “quiet luxury” trend during a recession pattern. But do patterns still apply in today’s world? We have some weird things happening all at once that have not happened in the past. Massive levels of influence from social media (TikTok), unprecedented price increases from the luxury brands that (I thought) were meant to deter middle class and lure only the upper class, as well as some pretty incredible designers that offer the same quality with more reasonable prices (APC, Polene, Auguste Ateliers). Regardless of these factors, I think for myself, I love the bags I own that have pricy logos and will wear them/keep them forever (Chanel, LV, Fendi, etc), but can’t justify spending the money they are currently asking. My future purchases will be going to these other designers. I have no interest in following the monthly new TikTok trends. The quiet trend is lovely for a stroll down the beach on an evening in Cape Cod…but I wouldn’t wear an outfit like that if I’m in the mountains where I live. It all depends on context. I would bring my Chanel bag on a date night in a safe area, but not to work or in the mountains. I think it’s important to dress appropriately for different situations.

Alike to many other brands, they move away from middle class to focus on high spending clientele. I’m really curious of how sustainable that strategy would be because I always thought that selling more mid-to-low priced items (say, creams and perfumes in Chanel’s case) is more commercially viable than selling fewer items for high price.
I think Chanel wants the masses to purchase their mid-to-low priced items and the wealthy to purchase their RTW, handbags, jewelry, etc.

With all this talk of quiet luxury these days, I was curious as to what you all may think about the future of Chanel bags. Is she starting to fizzle out or will she remain a classic for years to come?
Chanel is a classic and will be there for a very long time, I believe. Quiet luxury, meanwhile, is a "fad". I personally buy things because I can afford it and love it. Some of course, have a different opinion on that. That said, I do not believe that the material things one uses or wears determine one's financial status or capacity.

With all this talk of quiet luxury these days, I was curious as to what you all may think about the future of Chanel bags. Is she starting to fizzle out or will she remain a classic for years to come?
the only Chanel bag that I have loved and that I have been interested in has been the Gabrielle because it was definitely quiet. So bummed that they discontinued that line. All other Chanel bags feel like they scream Chanel.