Quiet luxury?

Historically, brands always revert back to non-logo/minimalism during recessions or tough economic times. It cyclic, and will always be that way. Whether people try and call it quiet luxury or something else won’t change that. I think most influencers probably aren’t old enough to remember the last time (or 2) this has happened, so they think it’s a new thing.

A rant…

We always tell people to be themselves and do what feels right…then we get people/influencers telling us what to do and what to wear. Personally, I’m in between: Sometimes I like logos, and other times I don’t. I know people who only like logos, and then people who hate them. I also only like certain logos from certain brands.

The biggest annoyance for me about this topic is ’why do people care what others do or wear?’ Like, life is stressful enough - do you have nothing better to do than tell others that their love of logos is tacky? How is someone wearing a logo hurting you or affecting you in any way? Answer: It isn’t.

I’m also very curious about some of the people promoting this new trend. Are they actually people who can afford quiet luxury? Because quiet luxury means wearing (super) expensive, well-made pieces, of which there are no logos. Some of the brands that fall into this category cost hundreds and thousands of dollars! So, are all of these influencers/pushers of this trend wearing items that cost thousands of dollars, and are they wearing these same few pieces of clothing over-and-over, and buying less (because one of the ideas behind quiet luxury - from my understanding - is that you buy better, buy less, and re-wear)? I would assume not. So, please get off your Shein-wearing high-horse, and stop telling others what’s trendy, what’s cool, and what’s tacky.

I have seen a bunch of videos pop up on YouTube about what items I NEED to get rid of from my wardrobe. I’m sorry, but I don’t NEED to remove anything. I will still be wearing my items from decades ago - I will not fix what isn’t broken. And on this note, what are we supposed to do with this stuff? If we sell it or donate it, that means the person who wears my discarded item is now going to be viewed negatively (the same way I was when I wore the item). It’s very hypocritical. And frankly, exhausting.

I feel like this is just another trend, and one that promotes “sameness,” rather than individuality. Personally, I love seeing people dress differently - it’s inspiring! It’s fun to see people wear things that I never would; or things that I would love to wear, but they don’t work with my body type (or budget).

It’s okay to wear logos, whether they are big, small, or all over your clothing. It’s okay to not wear logos. So, you know, Vive la Logomania! Or not. Whatever floats your boat!

So far, I hear more talk than see in action. There are still as many logos everywhere I go in London and the S.E. England, Scotland is always 'quieter', but the absence of logos or names may just mean fewer designer/sports/street-style and more high-street.

I see Chanel around in London, but much less than prior to Covid. Recently I’ve been seeing really young girls about 11-14 year olds with Chanel, possibly even fakes, I can’t tell and in general young people in designer.

Historically, brands always revert back to non-logo/minimalism during recessions or tough economic times. It cyclic, and will always be that way. Whether people try and call it quiet luxury or something else won’t change that. I think most influencers probably aren’t old enough to remember the last time (or 2) this has happened, so they think it’s a new thing.
I was going to say the same thing. It is also common in economic downtown for people to be a little discreet and not be as flashy, particularly when you hear more people losing their jobs or your money no longer goes as far and seeing increase in crime/robbery.

For Chanel, regardless of being a classic, I no longer enjoy carrying my bag around because of how expensive it has become. I feel like I’m a walking target despite loving the style. I brought my bag to enjoy and use, and their aggressive price rise has just turned me off.

Last edited:
Whether it’s quiet luxury or flashy luxury - if you have poor taste and style, both aren’t going to work in my opinion.

I’ve seen people donned in Brunello Cucinelli and Loro Piana head to toe but unfortunately they don’t understand the aesthetic well enough so they end up looking no different from that try-hard person who wears tacky flashy clothings. I think it’s very important to develop an authentic style and exquisite taste first to make any aesthetic work.

As for me, I’d rather focus on having my own authentic style than obsess over quiet luxury or follow trends. I could care less about those gen Z kids on TikTok telling me that my Chanel bags are out of style lol.
Agree. Fashion is the whole package.

Reactions: Strep2031
I don't think it's going to do anything. I feel like a lot of people on social media who are talking about quiet luxury are people who have already bought the majority of the stuff they want from all the fashion houses and so their interests have just simply moved on to something else. Most people aren't so rich they can continue to buy new bags every season for years, and even if they are it's natural to eventually get bored of something and have your style change. This doesn't really change the fact that there are still tons of people who don't have Chanel yet but still want it/are saving for it.

I think this is just logomania (finally!) dying down. “Quiet luxury” with its classic outfits was very popular in the early ‘10s and is not a new concept. Not sure if there will be a new spin on it but it seems that Gen Z think they invented this concept on TikTok. :noworry:

In the case of Chanel, they might go for quieter bags. More CC Logos and less Chanel spelled out, smaller logos etc. They will follow any new trend to an extend but not go crazy with it.

I don't think it's going to do anything. I feel like a lot of people on social media who are talking about quiet luxury are people who have already bought the majority of the stuff they want from all the fashion houses and so their interests have just simply moved on to something else. Most people aren't so rich they can continue to buy new bags every season for years, and even if they are it's natural to eventually get bored of something and have your style change. This doesn't really change the fact that there are still tons of people who don't have Chanel yet but still want it/are saving for it.
100%
People who are preaching about “quiet luxury” have already bought wat ever they want - sold most of them and are now bored

Cancelling culture is so popular now that we cancel wat we thought was super cool just a month back

Best to buy what we like irrespective of trends

100%
People who are preaching about “quiet luxury” have already bought wat ever they want - sold most of them and are now bored

Cancelling culture is so popular now that we cancel wat we thought was super cool just a month back

Best to buy what we like irrespective of trends
I also agree.

I know rich people who wear big logos and rich people who shop at Zara and H&M. And not that rich people who buy LV on credit. People who buy Loro Piana on credit are on the same boat as the ones buying LV on credit plus wearing Loro Piana instead of LV scarf for example doesn't make you something more than you actually are without that scarf.

Thanks for sharing this insight. I had not thought of this. It makes a lot of sense to buy when people are fearful and because the logos are smaller. I personally like products that have more discreet logos. For hardware, I prefer silver for my daily use bags.

With a possible recession happening in the second half of 2023, we all might get a chance to buy "quiet luxury" items.

“fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful.” - Warren Buffet

These posts about Chanel and H being quiet are funny
Agree. But, I think the premier big brands are neither quiet nor luxury

People should buy what they love, will use, and what they can afford.

My SAs at premier big brands express some surprise at some of the steep price increases, and believe
1. most clients have enough and don’t actually need anything, so they really will have to love what they buy
2. if clients are shocked at prices, they will simply buy fewer but better items.