put off by fakes!! ur views plz

The sad thing about fakes is it does affect the perception of the brand. I know I did not consider LV for many years as I have seen the logo (faked) for so long it just seemed worn out. I do like the damier design, but I still don't really care for the regular LV logo. I have carried Coach for years and always hated "goach", but I have always carried the purses I have chosen to carry with pride.

The sad thing about fakes is it does affect the perception of the brand. I know I did not consider LV for many years as I have seen the logo (faked) for so long it just seemed worn out. I do like the damier design, but I still don't really care for the regular LV logo. I have carried Coach for years and always hated "goach", but I have always carried the purses I have chosen to carry with pride.

I agree. Whenever something is counterfeited, it does affect the perception of the brand. People will discourage you for buying the product because of the amount of knockoffs out there.

However... lots of things are counterfeited and if you have the genuine product, all you can do is be proud. Embarass the people that do have fakes when you walk up to them with your real ones :roflmfao:. I remember this one time I was at the LV store in Boston and this girl walked in with a fake Speedy. All the SAs grilled her down lol.. I thought it was so hilarious. I thought they were going to kick her out by the looks on their faces.

I loathe fakes and this influx of fakes is really annoying me. The very word "fake" is so offputting... I mean if you can't afford the real thing then stick to your budget, why mimic and copy something and mislead people?

Like I said, Louis Vuitton must be turning in his grave...

I completely agree with everything you said!

if your buying a real bag for 1000 dollars and the manufacturing price is for examply 300 dollars... you must realize while paying 300 dollars for a fake that its manf. price is may be 60 dollars ...?? so your paying more still!
also i dont work int eh fashion idustry so im not too sure abt margins -

I do work in the industry, so I do know the margins. It's rare for any bag to cost over $300 to manufacture; unless, of course, one gets into full exotics with precious metal hardware and/or precious stone encrusts. However, when one gets to this level, we start charging $25,000+ per bag. But, a standard hardware full exotic rarely cost over $200 to manufacture - and standard hardware leather bags rarely cost over $100 to produce, with most of them costing even less than that. And, canvas and nylon bags are usually produced at a cost of $10 or less.

Also, most high quality replicas use the exact same materials as the original. Therefore, the manufacturing cost is quite close to the original. However, the replica manufacturer is getting a very low profit margin compared to a big fashion house - the biggies go for a margin that is often 10x (or more) the cost of manufacture.

To the person that complained that replicas promote child labour; the authentics do as well. I'd suggest that person view the documentary "China Blue" - although it's about denim manufacturing, what it shows applies to handbag manufacture as well.

I do work in the industry, so I do know the margins. It's rare for any bag to cost over $300 to manufacture; unless, of course, one gets into full exotics with precious metal hardware and/or precious stone encrusts. However, when one gets to this level, we start charging $25,000+ per bag. But, a standard hardware full exotic rarely cost over $200 to manufacture - and standard hardware leather bags rarely cost over $100 to produce, with most of them costing even less than that. And, canvas and nylon bags are usually produced at a cost of $10 or less.

Also, most high quality replicas use the exact same materials as the original. Therefore, the manufacturing cost is quite close to the original. However, the replica manufacturer is getting a very low profit margin compared to a big fashion house - the biggies go for a margin that is often 10x (or more) the cost of manufacture.

To the person that complained that replicas promote child labour; the authentics do as well. I'd suggest that person view the documentary "China Blue" - although it's about denim manufacturing, what it shows applies to handbag manufacture as well.

where can i see/buy China Blue?

i just went to an LV boutique yesterday and there was a lady who's buying a speedy, her old purse was an imitation of the real thing (but the pattern is different,not LV ) i guess people think about quality nowadays and are willing to spend more for items that will last. i went to gucci after that and a lady was carrying a class-a fake and the SA was looking at her strangely, but didn't say anything..i don't really hate all people who carry fakes, because some of them don't even know its fake in the first place, my grandmother and lots of old people i know buys a bag because of the compartments and not because of the brand. however if a person buys fakes just for social status etc that totally disgusts me. the government should do something about these fakes though..as long as its in the market people will continue buying these fakes.:tdown:

FAKES really bother me. but, not because someone is carrying a fake, it is because there are so many articles and documentaries on how counterfeits are made nowadays. and i could never carry or own something knowing that an underage, underpaid, exploited child was forced to make it. it is a disgusting trade and people who own counterfeits are just as bad as the ones who force those CHILDREN to work in unfit conditions at ages when they should be playing, not worrying about how many fake bags they have to make

you may not realize it but anything you guy can be made by an udnerage, unpaid, exploited child... im not supporting fakes in anyway but you need to realize that many manufacturers now have factories in developing countries where child labour is commonly exploited. its not just the replica industry... ie. The Gap, nike, etc all have factories in other countries and the working conditions in these factories aren't exactly pristine either.

but i agree that fakes are bad in the way that they are pretentious and their quality speak for themselves. in terms of child labour though, i wouldnt single out the replica industry just to be fair..

I was looking at the Tiffany's website a few weeks ago, contemplating buying a pen for my agenda. I got to talking with Dr. "P" about it and showed him the tiny penholder in the agenda, joking that I didn't want a cheap pen to go with my authentic LV, and he laughed and said "Why would you pay so much for an agenda or a purse? In my country {Korea} I can get you the same thing for $60! And you would never be able to tell the difference!" I tried to explain that I would know it was fake in my heart but he kept laughing at me and just didn't get it.

I think that's the moral of the story: some people just don't get it. I carry my authentic LV with pride and laugh at those who look askance at my bags maybe thinking they are fake.

gucci has a lot of fakes as well...one of my bf's friends had come up to me and told me in tampa theres this really great store that sells really good fakes. I had just met him that night but as soon as he said that my bf smiled and told him that i don't wear fakes and that i really hate them. Its true that i do, but i felt kinda bad in that it seemed that i was putting myself on a pedestal thinking i'm better than everyone else for not wearing fakes. Although i do secretly hound ppl for wearing fakes i only let my bf and my close friends hear about it. I don't see the point in bothering to tell ppl that so and so is wearing a fake or that i hate fakes when most ppl i know don't really give a second thought to handbags and don't get excited at the prospect of getting a real LV or real anything else.

Do you think some material of fake LV (the super one) same as material authentic LV? because one of my friend had try to convinced me. She said youve been full by buying authentic one. They're expensive because they're having a brand image but actually the material is same as you buy the super one. just the different the super only take little margin compare the authentic which they have to put higher margin to cover production and brand image..what do you think abut this opinion....

ifar, I agree with your friend completely. The materials used are not by any means exclusive. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of canvas, nylon, leather and exotic skins producers. And, anyone with the money can purchase these materials wholesale, just like a big fashion house does. As I said earlier, I work in the industry, and I have to source materials for my own stuff. Therefore, I know exactly how it works.

When I was talking about the big fashion houses earlier, and the high profit margins they take, I forgot to mention the cost of design, advertising, boutique staff and marketing that they also incur. For example, a full page ad in U.S. Vogue can cost upward of $1,500,000 - I kid you not! However, even with these costs, the major fashion houses are still making a tremendous profit with each sale.

The replica manufacturers don't have these costs to consider, as they are just riding on the coat-tails of the originals' branding.