Scarves Power Scarves--scarves that could run the meeting all by themselves

In the past few seasons Hermes has issued several ‘Forever’ designs, actually reissues of classic designs in classic colorways. I think that might give you a good place to start as none of them will come off as inappropriate. I agree that it’s best, and loads of fun, to try on a few choices since a large part of carrying off a big look is how you feel wearing it. Attitude may not be everything but it’s a lot. :flowers:
That’s very true! So many times I buy things online thinking that it will give me the look I want to portray but when I get it I don’t love it on me and always end up not feeling comfortable enough to wear it.

Interesting question -
Perhaps some great suggestions and inspiration: we in Europe have a lady in one of the highest positions:

Christine Lagarde, The President of the European Central Bank.

She appears to be a Hermès and H-scarf lover (a little less so lately I guess). Here's the link
Maybe you might would like to have a look at her outfits and search the internet (via "duck duck go" (respects privacy more IMO) or still more common: google) under her name and photos and ‘Hermès’ you'll find lots of photos of her wearing lots of H scarves with her corporate outfits.
Though: Perhaps in NY a little more restraint in scarf colours might be more common.
Have fun :flowers:

View attachment 6003320 credit: BBC.com

Christine Lagarde: Dressing all the way to the bank - BBC Culture

Omg how could I forget this amazing slayer. I will be looking her up for inspirations!

Reactions: Pivoine66
How about this one? A bit more understated but still a touch of luxe:
1716053024510.png
I saw this one recently when looking for gifts for my aunts (one's in banking, the other's a controller) so attire is pretty conservative/traditional. I decided on the green one for one of them (pasted below) so there's a bit more "color". Sorry to hear about the harsh feedback at work but I'm sure an opportunity to grow - and a great new scarf never hurts! Looking forward to see what you pick.
1716052986796.png

I work in biglaw but even still, the executives I deal with tend to dress quite minimally, especially when it comes to accessories. So for me, even wearing just a pop of silk is "extra" - therefore I tend to wear scarves in tones that blend with an already neutral executive wardrobe - blacks/blues/greys mostly. Silk + colour is often too much for my boardrooms, although if I am wearing all black I sometimes go for a colour hit via a scarf. I also find graphic/abstract prints tend to look more powerful (as opposed to florals/intricate designs).

I recently purchased the Brides de Gala 90cm Forever in Noir/Creme/Gold and have been wearing it non-stop at my workplace.

Hoping you find your "power scarves", OP!

I work in biglaw but even still, the executives I deal with tend to dress quite minimally, especially when it comes to accessories. So for me, even wearing just a pop of silk is "extra" - therefore I tend to wear scarves in tones that blend with an already neutral executive wardrobe - blacks/blues/greys mostly. Silk + colour is often too much for my boardrooms, although if I am wearing all black I sometimes go for a colour hit via a scarf. I also find graphic/abstract prints tend to look more powerful (as opposed to florals/intricate designs).

I recently purchased the Brides de Gala 90cm Forever in Noir/Creme/Gold and have been wearing it non-stop at my workplace.

Hoping you find your "power scarves", OP!
I think this is the the one!!

How about this one? A bit more understated but still a touch of luxe:
View attachment 6003380
I saw this one recently when looking for gifts for my aunts (one's in banking, the other's a controller) so attire is pretty conservative/traditional. I decided on the green one for one of them (pasted below) so there's a bit more "color". Sorry to hear about the harsh feedback at work but I'm sure an opportunity to grow - and a great new scarf never hurts! Looking forward to see what you pick.
View attachment 6003379
Love the green!

Reactions: xceleritas
I'm in corporate NYC working with executive banking women and would love a Hermes scarf to increase my executive presence... which one(s) would you recommend?

What outfit would you pair it with??
My wardrobe is all neutral. Blazers, high waisted trousers in black, beige, gray. I normally wear a fitted tshirt underneath my blazer. I carry b35 in etoupe as my work bag. Great idea to go try in person, I was initially thinking red, gold colorway and bolder-bigger patterns. I have 90 silks and haven't thought of going bigger so that’s a great suggestion!

I was in biglaw and boardrooms for many years. From your posts it’s clear that you want to be taken seriously, and perhaps the recent negative feedback suggested to you that you could do more in that area? (I’m sorry that you had negative feedback, it can be very discouraging and counter-productive if it’s badly delivered, but I’m glad you are picking yourself up and planning on some positive changes :flowers:)

A couple of questions - are you in-house or an external consultant? Are you younger than the executive banking women you are working with? Do you see yourself as their corporate peer?

I think the scarf design and CW is a matter of personal taste but I would steer clear of anything too obviously cutsie (JMO). That said, every scarf looks different depending on how it’s folded and tied - very few people will see the full design of whatever you choose.

I also don’t think you necessarily need to go with a so-called power colour here and that it is a more sophisticated look to choose a CW that flatters you and tones in with your working wardrobe (also JMO). Given you have a streamlined, neutral corporate look I am assuming that that is also your overall taste in your wardrobe, and so I would stick to streamlined knots and restrained CWs.

Not everyone would agree with me on this, but personally I think that overly fussy or detailed knots (like their male equivalent, the bow tie worn with a business suit) can have a tendency to draw attention to the scarf, especially if the wearer is younger, and away from the wearer, or worse, suggest they are preoccupied with frivolous pursuits, whereas what you are looking for is a scarf that subtly enhances your personal corporate presence. If your personal style does not embrace fussy details, adding a fussily tied scarf is unlikely to produce the effect you want. What you are always going for is the sense that you are wearing the outfit and not the other way around so don’t choose anything that doesn’t immediately feel like you when you try it on. Have fun and make sure you wear a typical office outfit when you go to try out the options and let your SA help you experiment with how best to tie them! :flowers:

Last edited:
I was in biglaw and boardrooms for many years. From your posts it’s clear that you want to be taken seriously, and perhaps the recent negative feedback suggested to you that you could do more in that area? (I’m sorry that you had negative feedback, it can be very discouraging and counter-productive if it’s badly delivered, but I’m glad you are picking yourself up and planning on some positive changes :flowers:)

A couple of questions - are you in-house or an external consultant? Are you younger than the executive banking women you are working with? Do you see yourself as their corporate peer?

I think the scarf design and CW is a matter of personal taste but I would steer clear of anything too obviously cutsie (JMO). That said, every scarf looks different depending on how it’s folded and tied - very few people will see the full design of whatever you choose.

I also don’t think you necessarily need to go with a so-called power colour here and that it is a more sophisticated look to choose a CW that flatters you and tones in with your working wardrobe (also JMO). Given you have a streamlined, neutral corporate look I am assuming that that is also your overall taste in your wardrobe, and so I would stick to streamlined knots and restrained CWs.

Not everyone would agree with me on this, but personally I think that overly fussy or detailed knots (like their male equivalent, the bow tie worn with a business suit) can have a tendency to draw attention to the scarf, especially if the wearer is younger, and away from the wearer, or worse, suggest they are preoccupied with frivolous pursuits, whereas what you are looking for is a scarf that subtly enhances your personal corporate presence. If your personal style does not embrace fussy details, adding a fussily tied scarf is unlikely to produce the effect you want. What you are always going for is the sense that you are wearing the outfit and not the other way around so don’t choose anything that doesn’t immediately feel like you when you try it on. Have fun and make sure you wear a typical office outfit when you go to try out the options and let your SA help you experiment with how best to tie them! :flowers:
Thank for your detailed response! I’m a consultant, so external, working with banking executives. This woman in particular is probably one or two levels above me, and she’s my client. I’m also Asian and soft spoken. I am in my early 40s. I would love a geometric / bold graphic prints. That’s great advice! I will choose something that is more me, can’t wait to go shopping for one!

Thank for your detailed response! I’m a consultant, so external, working with banking executives. This woman in particular is probably one or two levels above me, and she’s my client. I’m also Asian and soft spoken. I am in my early 40s. I would love a geometric / bold graphic prints. That’s great advice! I will choose something that is more me, can’t wait to go shopping for one!
Sorry, tried multiquote to your answers - above and:
Quote from you : "... I am feeling down because of a harsh feedback from work and this is me dusting off and picking myself back up"

These answers could be some kind of ‘game changers’ for me - that sounds to me like there might be also some kind of different issues / causes there, too:oh:. So, not trying to impose too much on you though offer some more "general thoughts":

Regarding Hermès scarves: The way you described yourself, the top priority might rather be that YOU need to feel comfortable, confident and powerful - not just in a favourable environment, but when you look in the mirror and then imagine yourself getting exactly the reaction that brought you down.

Based on your posts here, I would rather think of subtle colours and designs, more of scarves when you try them on, make you smile as ‘they will only be recognised by someone “in the know”, so you might receive a smile or looks à la “allies” and otherwise would not offer a vulnerable point to your disadvantage. Good luck and have fun (maybe you could make some time for choosing and take someone dear to you with you who knows and understands your situation, having served you some champagne while trying on the scarves in the boutique?);)

Last edited:
I am sure you know this but be mindful of the economic climate. I would definitely limit the power scarves to 1-2 for this client engagement esp if you are carrying a B35.

I’ve sat on both sides of the table as an external advisor and the client and when difficult decisions are being made in tough economic climates, you don’t want to be the person so expensively dressed in client facing situations that is raises eyebrows. What you wear at your own office is an entirely different story depending on your office culture.

I am not currently in NYC but have fallen into this myself with clients from big financial centres and it was not pretty. I always wear non obvious designer clothes and low key bags (longchamp etc), limited jewelry in these situations but over the course of the engagement wore about five different Hermes’ scarves thinking nobody would realize (and I could have inherited them from someone or bought them second hand). Sure enough one person quietly asks me when we are alone if all my scarves are Hermes. If she was asking then more than one person was thinking it. So now I limit myself to 1-2 scarves for these types of situations. I also keep a small bag for the scarf in my bag in case I decide to remove it and it won’t get snagged. I’ve also heard this type of comments on a range of items worn by other people so I think it’s not unique when in a client facing setting. I’ve only heard a comment in my work setting once and it was about a junior with a Chanel bag but otherwise people don’t seem to care what’s worn on the actual office.

The BdG forever is perfect for this type of situation because it truly reads classic and understated. Graphic non cutesy scarves are also good because they make a statement but are not necessarily so identifiable as Hermes. La reve de Julia and Pantin City come to mind. I always tie the scarf to hide the words Hermes on it.

Do post what you buy. I’d love to see.

Last edited:
@NY-LON love your outfit!! ♥️

@Pivoine66 @grabielles thank you both for your very insightful perspectives.

I’ve had a few days to marinade on the feedback and the reactions and actions taken by my support network. For this particular client - it was a no win situation. It wasn’t what I wore so much and more my style that was never going to be what she wanted. I can learn the tools to use for this particular client and people like her but I did not have those tools and now I know! Dressing powerful lifts me up and give me more springs in my steps ♥️