Please help: Shopping etiquette

akakai

O.G.
Apr 28, 2011
Hi all,
My SA is bringing in a pair of shoes in my size from another store. Is the expectation that I basically need to buy them? I am not sure if this means she's making a purchase from another store? What is the etiquette for a situation like this? She's brought other things in for me before that I've purchased. But this time I'm not sure if I'm into these shoes 100%. I am still new to Hermes and would appreciate everyone's thoughts on this. Thanks in advance!

Reactions: TeeCee77
Hi all,
My SA is bringing in a pair of shoes in my size from another store. Is the expectation that I basically need to buy them? I am not sure if this means she's making a purchase from another store? What is the etiquette for a situation like this? She's brought other things in for me before that I've purchased. But this time I'm not sure if I'm into these shoes 100%. I am still new to Hermes and would appreciate everyone's thoughts on this. Thanks in advance!
Only buy what you truly like. Unless you signed a contract, there is no obligation for you to buy this item if you don't like it. Just be polite and thank her for helping you should you decide you aren't purchasing it.

Hi all,

I just did exactly this. Like you, I only ask for something to be brought in if I genuinely think I will buy it. This last time I had a pair of sandals transferred, which my store did not have the style or color. When they came I did not love them. I explained exactly that, that they didn’t steal my heart and thanked my SA for ordering them for me to try. No hard feelings. I got a quota bag offer 2 weeks later, which I also declined. Only buy what you love. Your SA will appreciate your honesty.

I just did exactly this. Like you, I only ask for something to be brought in if I genuinely think I will buy it. This last time I had a pair of sandals transferred, which my store did not have the style or color. When they came I did not love them. I explained exactly that, that they didn’t steal my heart and thanked my SA for ordering them for me to try. No hard feelings. I got a quota bag offer 2 weeks later, which I also declined. Only buy what you love. Your SA will appreciate your honesty.

Oh thank you for sharing, this makes me feel a lot better. I have been visiting the store quite often and usually I'm very decisive about my purchases. I'm trying to build a relationship with my SA because I like the brand and I'd like to get a birkin eventually. It's good to know this is not going to be a serious faux pass.

Reactions: Orangefanatic
Only buy what you truly like. Unless you signed a contract, there is no obligation for you to buy this item if you don't like it. Just be polite and thank her for helping you should you decide you aren't purchasing it.

Agreed! I'm just a little concerned if this is going to leave a bad taste. Thanks for reaffirming my thoughts on this.

I would definitely only buy them if they fit properly but would only request my SA to transfer an item that I intend to buy, assuming the fit works out. My understanding is that for items like this, the stores swap inventory, so your store probably shipped the same shoes in a different size to the other store in exchange for your size. So even if you refuse the shoes, your store is no worse off inventory-wise at the end of the day and you shouldn't feel too badly.

I just had the same scenario with the color Craie. My SA brought in a Evelyne and after much thought I was afraid of color transfer so I declined that and opted for a GP. It wasn’t a problem at all. What you don’t purchase you can be sure someone else will. There’s no reason at all to purchase what you don’t like or will use.

Reactions: Orangefanatic
Everyone who has advised that you should only buy if you want to are correct in every way.

I'm sure we all understand why would not to get a reputation for asking for things to be brought in for you and then turning them down - but that is not the case here. You wrote that items have been brought in for you previously and you have always bought them. So you have proved yourself to be a genuine reliable client.

My experience has always been that there is no pressure to buy items brought in, in fact quite the opposite.
SMs and SAs are more interested in you being a satisfied customer.

It's not a good idea to let your desire to build a relationship with one SA with a view to getting a Birkin affect your purchasing decisions.

Everyone who has advised that you should only buy if you want to are correct in every way.

I'm sure we all understand why would not to get a reputation for asking for things to be brought in for you and then turning them down - but that is not the case here. You wrote that items have been brought in for you previously and you have always bought them. So you have proved yourself to be a genuine reliable client.

My experience has always been that there is no pressure to buy items brought in, in fact quite the opposite.

It's not a good idea to let your desire to build a relationship with one SA with a view to getting a Birkin affect your purchasing decisions.
Good advice!

Hi all,
Items are brought in because H doesn't carry all styles and sizes. Just because they were transferred in for you doesn't mean that you've to take it. I've shoes transferred to my store and either they did not fit or did not look good on my feet. I've done that with RTW. The SA understands due to their limited inventory and each store orders differently based on the SM. Don't feel obligated to get something that you don't like even if it fits.

Sometimes I get a little worried about this ‘relationship ‘ thing. The whole point of a ‘relationship’ Is that the customer gets what they like with the minimum of fuss. Also a good SA will know the customer ‘s preferences and will make suggestions about what they think is suitable and looks best on them. If the customer is not honest it must be very confusing for SA’s trying to work out what the hell this person likes to wear. From Hermes point of view I’d say they are interested in cultivating long term ‘relationships ‘ with customers who have an appreciation of the brand rather than a short term addiction.

I go through ladycupid’s posts for all the colorways of designs. In excel, I note the design, format, product code and cw code with color description. If multiple cws, I list first choice, second choice. third choice. I then keep up to date with forum members postings of their scarves. If that’s enough to make me 100% sure, I order. I usually make a trip to a boutique (3+ hours away) and give my SA all the cws I can’t decide on to pull or source from another store, prioritized by my wishlist/popularity/hard to source. Sometimes it takes a couple visits to see everything. I also will stop into a boutique if traveling. If I have a regret and it can’t be found in the US, I ask for a worldwide search. You can always order
on the website and return if you don’t like it too.

I started collecting H silks this year. I have found a wonderful SA. She is holding a scarf for me that I will look at next weekend. (She has held one for me previously, which I did purchase, along with a few others.)

I had emailed asking her if they had it at the shop a week and a half ago. They did, and she put it aside for me, knowing that with my travel it would be two weeks before I could get in.

What is the etiquette regarding having a scarf held? Should you be fairly committed to purchasing it? Also do all SAs perform worldwide searches? She sourced a scarf for me that took about four weeks to come in, but when I mentioned there was another on the Canadian H website I was interested in, she didn't seem to be able to help.

Sorry to digress! Thanks for any advice.

I started collecting H silks this year. I have found a wonderful SA. She is holding a scarf for me that I will look at next weekend. (She has held one for me previously, which I did purchase, along with a few others.)

I had emailed asking her if they had it at the shop a week and a half ago. They did, and she put it aside for me, knowing that with my travel it would be two weeks before I could get in.

What is the etiquette regarding having a scarf held? Should you be fairly committed to purchasing it? Also do all SAs perform worldwide searches? She sourced a scarf for me that took about four weeks to come in, but when I mentioned there was another on the Canadian H website I was interested in, she didn't seem to be able to help.

Sorry to digress! Thanks for any advice.
I live 3 hours from my home store. I go in person every 3-4 months. Last season I had more than one scarf put aside for me until I could come in over a month later-I asked my SA upfront if that was ok to have that much on hold and they were fine with it. I did not purchase everything I had on hold. Perhaps my store is more tolerant because they know I’m from out of town. I’d still ask your SA if they could do a world wide search for the scarf on the Canadian website-you may have to put down a deposit though. Hope that helps! I find as long as you are direct with your SA about what you’d like they will let you know what is acceptable/feasible.