Please help me with my first Chanel! Classic small flap or mini rectangular?

What should I buy for my first Chanel?

• Classic small black caviar/lambskin

Votes: 61 65.6%
  • Mini rectangular black lambskin

Votes: 32 34.4%

• Total voters
Oh then definitely look through the thread that's titled something like "is this a defect or is this normal" in the Chanel forum. There you will see tons of questions and answers regarding the quality of bags. I wish I was aware of all the issues that can occur before my first purchase. Some main things to look for are any loose stitches on the inside and outside, make sure the flap is not crooked, the Mona Lisa pocket is not crooked, the bag sits properly (doesn't tilt forward or backwards), check the leather on the chain to see if it's peeling or twisted anywhere, check the leather over all and make sure it's not damaged, check the CC logo too, make sure it's centered and straight. Also look at the hardware and ensure it's not already tarnishing. I think that covers it :smile: !!

You'll find so many variations in caviar. Some look dry and dull like very matte, some look shiny, some look too plasticky, puffy / less puffy. I would pick the best constructed bag that meets your taste.
Woaw, thank you so much! I will save this for my future purchase! I think I can manage to check all these issues, the only thing is.. I tend to be so anxious when I inspect my bags, because I do feel the SA must think that this is annoying :doh: Also .. I am really bad at seeing whether something is crooked or not! My family always tell me I must be crooked myself :facepalm::lol:
But are there really new bags that can't stand on their own without tilting forwards or backwards? Like falling? or just heavy tilting?

Oh I see, I don't know whether its the lighting or not, but some caviar are very grey? Is that what we would call 'dry' caviar? I think I would love puffy .. maybe shiny? .. urgh .. I don't know :giggle: But does it variate between seasons? Year ? I' am trying to figure out if, lets say that you get to look at a bag in store, and then you ask for to look for another one same color same style.. whether the caviar could be different or not. Sorry if it doesn't make sense.

Funny this has come up because my friend tried to buy her first classic today and all we saw was defective bags!!! I had alot of problems finding mine a year ago and she’s experiencing the exact same quality issues. Misaligned flaps, deep creases in the quilts on the back corners, popped stitches you name it we have seen it all today! All bags were caviar. Im so disappointed for her :sad: definitely check your bag thoroughly!
Oh nooo, I am dissapointed for her too! I hope she will find her bag anytime soon! Was it only one store, that you got to look on all these defective bags? :sad:
I am not so familiar with how a defect classic can look like. Only do I know the basic, like scratches on leather and popped stitches.. but misaligned flaps and deep creases in quilts I can't visualize! :panic: I would definitely have to check when I make the purchase. But do you let your SA know that you don't want the bag because of defects?

Thank you ! I am really tempted to just buy the small this or next month when travelling ! :love: Do you have any preference when it comes to the leather and hardware?
I would get the small caviar as the minis are now all lambskin (as eventually you will have both/futile trying to resist, at least it was for me) I am not fussy with HW. I have both but typically use SHW more as I find it less dressy and can wear casually.

I would get the small caviar as the minis are now all lambskin (as eventually you will have both/futile trying to resist, at least it was for me) I am not fussy with HW. I have both but typically use SHW more as I find it less dressy and can wear casually.
I know its true ! :doh: That I eventually want both, who am I kidding right ?! But yes I do think silver hardware can be dressy and casual, where gold is quite dressy, or the gold really just clashed with my outfit that day.

Woaw, thank you so much! I will save this for my future purchase! I think I can manage to check all these issues, the only thing is.. I tend to be so anxious when I inspect my bags, because I do feel the SA must think that this is annoying :doh: Also .. I am really bad at seeing whether something is crooked or not! My family always tell me I must be crooked myself :facepalm::lol:
But are there really new bags that can't stand on their own without tilting forwards or backwards? Like falling? or just heavy tilting?

Oh I see, I don't know whether its the lighting or not, but some caviar are very grey? Is that what we would call 'dry' caviar? I think I would love puffy .. maybe shiny? .. urgh .. I don't know :giggle: But does it variate between seasons? Year ? I' am trying to figure out if, lets say that you get to look at a bag in store, and then you ask for to look for another one same color same style.. whether the caviar could be different or not. Sorry if it doesn't make sense.
I did a quick Google search for crooked flap. See the photo. You see how it's lifted higher on the left? You just want to make sure the diamonds on the flap align properly to the bottom portion and it's sitting as straight as possible. Regarding the tilting, just place it on the table and look from the sides to make sure it's sitting upright and not tilting too forward or backwards. I went through 6 classic flaps before I found the best one, they all had one problem or another. The one I finally selected is a bit more matte than I prefer, but I took it home as it was free of any defects. The medium is much easier to find, so that's possibly why your SA said the small can be hard to find. And yes, if they have more than one piece available, definitely have a look at all of them and take your time inspecting, even if you feel rushed. It's a $10k bag, it's ok to make sure it's as perfect as possible. One of my SA'a knows how picky I am, so he sets me up in a room and let's me take my time. You would rather not buy it than go through the hassle of a return.

Screenshot_20230706-153921~2.png

• Insightful
Reactions: Put
I did a quick Google search for crooked flap. See the photo. You see how it's lifted higher on the left? You just want to make sure the diamonds on the flap align properly to the bottom portion and it's sitting as straight as possible. Regarding the tilting, just place it on the table and look from the sides to make sure it's sitting upright and not tilting too forward or backwards. I went through 6 classic flaps before I found the best one, they all had one problem or another. The one I finally selected is a bit more matte than I prefer, but I took it home as it was free of any defects. The medium is much easier to find, so that's possibly why your SA said the small can be hard to find. And yes, if they have more than one piece available, definitely have a look at all of them and take your time inspecting, even if you feel rushed. It's a $10k bag, it's ok to make sure it's as perfect as possible. One of my SA'a knows how picky I am, so he sets me up in a room and let's me take my time. You would rather not buy it than go through the hassle of a return.

View attachment 5816690
Oh I see, thank you for explaining! I do see the left side is a little bit higher. Also I do wonder if all classic flaps has a arch? Like the flap does not go straight over.. but arch a little from left to right? :smile:

It sounds wonderful that your SA knows you and let you inscpect your bags without rushing! I would love that too, when times comes:love:

I own both sizes and I would say go for the classic flap in the leather, color and hardware you love the most. To me, they are completely different and a mini will never be a classic flap, no matter wether they fit or not the same, they are completely different IMO.
Thank you for your opinion! I do see a lot you guys share the same opinion for me to get the small one. And I actually think I will get a Small one first as this is my dream bag :love: And my love for it would probably not dissapear if I were to get a mini first. So now the question would be caviar or lambskin and ghw or shw?!:love::panic:

Reactions: YEANETT
Thank you for your opinion! I do see a lot you guys share the same opinion for me to get the small one. And I actually think I will get a Small one first as this is my dream bag :love: And my love for it would probably not dissapear if I were to get a mini first. So now the question would be caviar or lambskin and ghw or shw?!:love::panic:
As you liked the silver hardware and not the gold I would choose silver hardware. I would also choose caviar leather if you plan to get a mini too. Then you have 2 completely different bags :smile: you’ll have a caviar shw classic and lambskin champagne gold mini.

As you liked the silver hardware and not the gold I would choose silver hardware. I would also choose caviar leather if you plan to get a mini too. Then you have 2 completely different bags :smile: you’ll have a caviar shw classic and lambskin champagne gold mini.
+1. I agree with @cclover95

• Love
I saw a lady with a small black caviar & gold hardware tonight and it looked so gorgeous. I am almost tempted to add a gold hw to my never ending wishlist after seeing it, but I am positive when I tried it on it looked awful on me.

I feel like the yellow tone of the gold can also vary bag to bag. My SIL has a gold hw WOC but I swear it looks like LGHW to me, not the very yellow gold. Do try on both again and pick which ever your heart desires. I do agree with @cclover95, go with the caviar in small and lambskin in mini.

• Love
“You’ll have a caviar shw and lambskin champagbe gold mini” :girlsigh: That sound very good to me ! Makes sense for me now to go with caviar, because then in the future I can justify getting mini in lambskin:biggrin: thank you!

Also yes, I will need to go to the store and see the gold irl again, as in my head I still think it was funny that I switched opinion like that. :panic:

I saw a lady with a small black caviar & gold hardware tonight and it looked so gorgeous. I am almost tempted to add a gold hw to my never ending wishlist after seeing it, but I am positive when I tried it on it looked awful on me.

I feel like the yellow tone of the gold can also vary bag to bag. My SIL has a gold hw WOC but I swear it looks like LGHW to me, not the very yellow gold. Do try on both again and pick which ever your heart desires. I do agree with @cclover95, go with the caviar in small and lambskin in mini.
I feel the same way! I see all these pictures of people wearing the one with gold, and it looks stunning. So it really confused me when I tried the silver one I was in love. And when I got to try the gold one, it just did not look right :panic: I even asked the SA “is that the gold one??”:doh: But I will definitly go in store again to try it out, maybe wear something neutral like black would help me out better with choosing. As I feel sometimes your outfit can push your opinion in differents ways, if that makes any sense.

Reactions: Tina1010
I feel the same way! I see all these pictures of people wearing the one with gold, and it looks stunning. So it really confused me when I tried the silver one I was in love. And when I got to try the gold one, it just did not look right :panic: I even asked the SA “is that the gold one??”:doh: But I will definitly go in store again to try it out, maybe wear something neutral like black would help me out better with choosing. As I feel sometimes your outfit can push your opinion in differents ways, if that makes any sense.
The leather also makes a huge difference. I dislike 22 / 24k gold jewelry on my skin tone, so this tone in a black bag doesn't work for me. Do you wear gold jewelry? I much prefer 14/18k gold jewellery, similar to the LGHW.

The gold on beige clair or white looks fine on me, but not in black. So it has a lot to do with the leather color combination.

Last edited: