Please help me with my first Chanel! Classic small flap or mini rectangular?

What should I buy for my first Chanel?

• Classic small black caviar/lambskin

Votes: 61 65.6%
  • Mini rectangular black lambskin

Votes: 32 34.4%

• Total voters
Small classic holds the same as mini. You are paying double for essentially the same size, which might be a reason why minis are hard to come by. If your heart desires classic, I would go for a medium. I tried it on but I just could not get over the fact that it was hard to get into the bag due to double flap. Plus, I would be scratching the inner flap with either my e-ring or bracelets so I would always have to be mindful. I just do not have time for all that fuss. Plus, it sits very high on me (but I am 5'5"). I have two minis and no regrets.
Oh thak you, I do hear a lot of people say that they fit the same. But I wont buy the medium, because I already tried it in store and it was just to big for my liking, for reference I am (5''2). :smile:

Reactions: LVLVLVOE
Oh really ! So which classic and mini do you have now? :love:
I do like to wear my bag over the shoulder or high crossbody. And about the leather.. I feel like I would use the caviar more, as I already have lambskin bags that I do feel the need to baby a lot. Even though lambskin feel so luxurious, but the sturdiness of the caviar also speaks to me. So thats why I have been playing with the idea that I would get the small in caviar, and the mini in lambskin :biggrin:
I do love the classic flap, and now even more when I got to try the small size on. I actually did hope that i would not like the small size, and keep searching for the mini. But as you can see, that did not happen!
I know I should not rush to avoid price increases, but I just researched the increases of the classic flap (yes I know I am late to the game:doh:) and they are insane!
Medium Black caviar classic and a black mini in lambskin.
If you are able to buy both then I would say get the small and go on the wish list for a mini. I imagine minis will be harder and harder to find as the price of the classic goes up as so many people think its either not worth it or have been priced out so opt for a mini instead.

Do you mind me asking what are your reasons for wanting each bag? If the mini is because of the better price then i suggest going for the small as you’ll only wish you got it later down the line!
If your only getting the small because the mini is hard to find I would wait and hunt it down.

I also think its a misconception that caviar is more durable it just depends on what you are willing to accept as wear and tear. Lambskin will scratch easier but i hate the look of worn off corners on caviar! I've even seen it peeling :tdown:
I always think vintage lambskin is beautiful but who am I to talk as I didn't dare get my classic in lambskin :lol:
I have both mine with gold hardware but I've seen people say silver looks better for longer as the gold will eventually show the silver underneath. this hasn't happened to any of mine yet so can't comment on how long that would take to happen and chanel can always change the hardware for you.

listen to your heart and try not to get to caught up in our opinions because everyones lifestyle is different :heart:

• Love
Reactions: LVLVLVOE and Put
I have a small caviar classic in black with silver hardware, a WOC and I still want to add a mini with light gold hardware. The mini is extremely difficult to find unless you go through a reseller. I've been looking now for over a year, no luck. I think both bags serve totally different purposes even though they essentially fit the same. So think hard about what you want to use it for and how you like to carry your bags. I don't wear my small size around due to my very casual lifestyle with little kids, it has only been used for special occasions. If it had crossbody functionality, I think I would feel more comfortable using it more often. That's why I want to add the mini, but I would have to be cautious because of lambskin. I just feel a lot more comfortable with crossbody bags. Now that you've tried on the small, you'll probably really want it. I also like the small over a medium, it's a cuter look on shorter people. I'm 5 ft exactly and the black in medium felt like a serious work bag on me. I agree with others, maybe get the caviar small in black and mini's in another color whenever you find it. You might be waiting a while if you're wanting it from the boutique.

Just adding .. have you ever seen the gold hardware in person? It's much more yellow in person than I expected, so I went for the silver too. I prefer the light gold hardware over the gold but that's not available in a small or medium size.
Oh, now I don't own any of them yet, but I do think a small caviar classic in black with silver hardware and a mini with light gold hardware would be my dream team ! :love: Thats what I have been thinking. And you are so right about me wanting the small because I just recently got to try it out. I am 5''2 so I did also prefer the small over the medium, as the medium felt so big for my liking. And it is funny you mention this with the gold hardware! I tried the small caviar with silver hardware first, and the medium with silver. And then I asked to see one with gold hardware, as I always thought in my head that I would like a classic black lambskin with gold hardware. But when she took out a medium lambskin with gold hardware, I was not in love! I was so confused as I did think the gold was sooooo gold! So I don't know whether that made me totally change my mind about what leather and hardware I would prefer for my first classic.:panic: But so the small does not come with light gold hardware?

I got my black mini within 1 month of going on the wish list so it depends on your local boutique and the SA you ask. I understand i was lucky but it can definitely happen as i also had no relationship was a particular SA.
Even if it was a longer wait if the op isnt looking to buy for maybe another year she has plenty of time to go on a wish list if thats the bag she really wants :smile:

I think working out which bag you want and why is the best option rather than which bag is easiest to find otherwise you may settle when you didn’t have to!
Oh, when you sign up for this waitlist, do you have to come get it in the boutique right away .. lets say same day? Or how does it work?
I hear people who has been on the waitlist for years, and some mention that they dont do waitlist anymore. I dont know.. quite confused. :doh: But you are right, I do think I would want a small.. but was somehow hoping to get the mini and then maybe the urge would go away. But then again, its not that easy to get. And i have not tried the mini on before.

Get a small caviar in silver hardware. Minis only come in lambskin so at least it’s a valid reason for spending way more on a classic flap over the mini. While they may look similar they are not the same and you’d still want a small
I will think about this reasoning for getting the small :angel: I do think if I go search/wait for the mini, and then when I finally get it..I would be so bummed about still wanting the small! Because there would probably be price increases in the future.

Medium Black caviar classic and a black mini in lambskin.
If you are able to buy both then I would say get the small and go on the wish list for a mini. I imagine minis will be harder and harder to find as the price of the classic goes up as so many people think its either not worth it or have been priced out so opt for a mini instead.

Do you mind me asking what are your reasons for wanting each bag? If the mini is because of the better price then i suggest going for the small as you’ll only wish you got it later down the line!
If your only getting the small because the mini is hard to find I would wait and hunt it down.

I also think its a misconception that caviar is more durable it just depends on what you are willing to accept as wear and tear. Lambskin will scratch easier but i hate the look of worn off corners on caviar! I've even seen it peeling :tdown:
I always think vintage lambskin is beautiful but who am I to talk as I didn't dare get my classic in lambskin :lol:
I have both mine with gold hardware but I've seen people say silver looks better for longer as the gold will eventually show the silver underneath. this hasn't happened to any of mine yet so can't comment on how long that would take to happen and chanel can always change the hardware for you.

listen to your heart and try not to get to caught up in our opinions because everyones lifestyle is different :heart:
Your question does help me realize that maybe I thought I could “just” buy a mini and then be over with this wanting a classic. And because the price is better! But since I tried the small one in store, I do also realize that I really want a classic, and it may not fade away with me buying or searching for the mini. The mini in lambskin is gorgeous on pictures I have seen. And I did think that I would like a small lambskin gold hardware.. But now after seeing and trying the small caviar with silver hardware, I can’t stop thinking about it. :love: :panic:

Do the caviar corner wear as easy as lambskin? I have not seen peeling caviar before ! Maybe I should look that up, because I do know the look of worn lambskin. But have not thought about caviar. Hahah , why did you choose caviar if you love the look of lambskin? Or only vintage lambskin? :amuse:

I will try to listen to my heart , thank you :love:

not sure if this helps you at all its gold vs the light gold. The lighting was terrible when i took this of my mini the leather is actually more shiny in person. :heart:

View attachment 5815690

View attachment 5815691
They are stunning! :girlsigh:

Your question does help me realize that maybe I thought I could “just” buy a mini and then be over with this wanting a classic. And because the price is better! But since I tried the small one in store, I do also realize that I really want a classic, and it may not fade away with me buying or searching for the mini. The mini in lambskin is gorgeous on pictures I have seen. And I did think that I would like a small lambskin gold hardware.. But now after seeing and trying the small caviar with silver hardware, I can’t stop thinking about it. :love: :panic:

Do the caviar corner wear as easy as lambskin? I have not seen peeling caviar before ! Maybe I should look that up, because I do know the look of worn lambskin. But have not thought about caviar. Hahah , why did you choose caviar if you love the look of lambskin? Or only vintage lambskin? :amuse:

I will try to listen to my heart , thank you :love:
I went for caviar with my classic because I already had my mini in lambskin and thought they would look identical if they were both lambskin. I also think the medium is far bigger and easier to bump if it’s over my shoulder so like other people, i thought caviar was a safer option even though I prefer lambskin. The corners dont wear as easy but caviar is embossed so once thats worn down there isnt much you can do. You can paint it but it will always be smooth.
Pros and cons to both leathers. if you think you'll get both bags then you may as well get one in each leather too!:loveeyes:
with the wish list it seems different depending on where you are that's why its always worth asking your local boutiques before thinking you won't get one. everyone told me its impossible or they waited 1-2 years but I waited around 1 month.

• Love
Reactions: Put and LVLVLVOE
I went for caviar with my classic because I already had my mini in lambskin and thought they would look identical if they were both lambskin. I also think the medium is far bigger and easier to bump if it’s over my shoulder so like other people, i thought caviar was a safer option even though I prefer lambskin. The corners dont wear as easy but caviar is embossed so once thats worn down there isnt much you can do. You can paint it but it will always be smooth.
Pros and cons to both leathers. if you think you'll get both bags then you may as well get one in each leather too!:loveeyes:
with the wish list it seems different depending on where you are that's why its always worth asking your local boutiques before thinking you won't get one. everyone told me its impossible or they waited 1-2 years but I waited around 1 month.
I see, I also do think one of each leather would be nice! Because it would indeed be too identical, to have 2 lambskin or vice versa.. at least for me. So I like your idea with getting one of both :lol: small in caviar because it is the bigger one and mini in lambskin. But do you regret getting your classic in caviar? Or do you still think it is a safe choice?
I have only asked 1 boutique and they told me no, and the SA who gave me her number do not reply to my messages. And this store is in another country .. but it is actually “just” 3,5 hours driving away from me. I am in Europe.

I love how much you love the small flap!! That’s so fun. You should definitely get it. Shopping for these goodies is supposed to be emotional. I totally get the sentiments.

With Chanel, I find for me it’s always best to buy what I love right now vs what’s been on my wishlist, bc I trust that obsessive love at first sight feeling more than the “oh that looks so pretty on her I want one too” feeling. Also, sometimes you just can’t find a wishlist item for a while, or when you do finally find it it’s a bad piece or it’s not at your fave store with your fave SA etc, and every star just doesn’t align perfectly and it just doesn’t feel completely right. So it’s okay to trust what you love right now too.

Lately, classic flaps in seasonal colors have been coming in the light gold (champagne) hw, but black and beige claire are always either shw or ghw.

They used to make minis in caviar too but I haven’t seen one in years. You never know when they might bring them back!

The best time to find a mini is with new collection launches. Stores have the best stock then. It doesn’t have to be the first day bc things trickle in over a few weeks but around then.

I don’t think waitlists exist anymore. Your relationship with your SA will go a long way for hard to get things. And by relationship I don’t mean spend. It’s just the way you click and maybe drop by when you’re “in the neighborhood” to see what they have bc you just love Chanel so much.

Have you seen or tried on a mini before?

• Love
Reactions: Put
Actually thats a good point above, that when you do find something it maybe a bad piece with a defect, or it may just be that you don't like the look/feel of the leather, or the quilts may not be as puffy to your liking. So my advise would be to grab the one that best fits your taste and is not defective, rather than focusing on a location to buy it from, because each piece can be so different from the next.

No, they don't have black classics in LGHW. Wouldn't that be just perfect?!

• Love
Reactions: Put and alxyoung
I see, I also do think one of each leather would be nice! Because it would indeed be too identical, to have 2 lambskin or vice versa.. at least for me. So I like your idea with getting one of both :lol: small in caviar because it is the bigger one and mini in lambskin. But do you regret getting your classic in caviar? Or do you still think it is a safe choice?
I have only asked 1 boutique and they told me no, and the SA who gave me her number do not reply to my messages. And this store is in another country .. but it is actually “just” 3,5 hours driving away from me. I am in Europe.
I don't regret getting my classic in caviar at all but if I didn't have my mini I would have chosen lamb skin for my classic.
I see people keep saying wish lists don't exist so it must depend on where you are. im in the uk and they definitely exist here.
I had the same thing happen to me with an SA. I would speak to someone else next time who may be more helpful and will reply to your messages especially if your making such a large purchase and live so far away. I must have spoken to 3-4 different SAs before I found one who I clicked with. :lol:

• Love
I love how much you love the small flap!! That’s so fun. You should definitely get it. Shopping for these goodies is supposed to be emotional. I totally get the sentiments.

With Chanel, I find for me it’s always best to buy what I love right now vs what’s been on my wishlist, bc I trust that obsessive love at first sight feeling more than the “oh that looks so pretty on her I want one too” feeling. Also, sometimes you just can’t find a wishlist item for a while, or when you do finally find it it’s a bad piece or it’s not at your fave store with your fave SA etc, and every star just doesn’t align perfectly and it just doesn’t feel completely right. So it’s okay to trust what you love right now too.

Lately, classic flaps in seasonal colors have been coming in the light gold (champagne) hw, but black and beige claire are always either shw or ghw.

They used to make minis in caviar too but I haven’t seen one in years. You never know when they might bring them back!

The best time to find a mini is with new collection launches. Stores have the best stock then. It doesn’t have to be the first day bc things trickle in over a few weeks but around then.

I don’t think waitlists exist anymore. Your relationship with your SA will go a long way for hard to get things. And by relationship I don’t mean spend. It’s just the way you click and maybe drop by when you’re “in the neighborhood” to see what they have bc you just love Chanel so much.

Have you seen or tried on a mini before?
Oh thank you, I do think it is funny too! Like I always knew I would want a classic, but after trying the small in store I am in love! And you are right its obsessive love :lol: :love:
Ok, so the classic black does not come with light gold hardware? May I ask you what leather and hardware you prefer? I hear so many different things about caviar vs lambskin.

And you are definitely right! Sometimes I want to think logically and plan all out, but sometimes the stars are not aligned, and it wont work out how you planned it.

I am new to Chanel, so I have not figured out when the new collections launches, I have been trying to learn. But it seems like there is not a set date, and you need to have an SA update you? Please let me know if I am wrong. Also is the classic black always in stock and easy to come by? I am asking because the SA keep telling me these are rare or did she mean the mini? :-s But it made me a little bit confuse.

I see, I dont have a Chanel store where I live, so I need to drive about 3.5 hours to Germany. But I will try to drop by, or find a nice SA as the last one gave me her number, but did not reply to my messages afterwards. :sad: So I do think I will find another SA to work with.

And actually, I know its quite funny I consider the mini, when I have never tried it on before :blush: But I did try the mini with the handle? I believe it was the coco, and the chain were so long for me crossbody.. but I heard you can get a clip or something.

Actually thats a good point above, that when you do find something it maybe a bad piece with a defect, or it may just be that you don't like the look/feel of the leather, or the quilts may not be as puffy to your liking. So my advise would be to grab the one that best fits your taste and is not defective, rather than focusing on a location to buy it from, because each piece can be so different from the next.

No, they don't have black classics in LGHW. Wouldn't that be just perfect?!

Thats true! I do think if I ever saw the mini lambskin, and the quilts were not puffy.. I would have a hard time buying it, as I love puffy quilts. When you say dont focus on what location to buy it from.. do you mean that I should not focus on whether it is from Chanel boutique or reseller? Or do you mean different Chanel Boutiques? :smile:
Oh .. now when you mention to watch out for defects when I buy, I will definitely keep that in mind! But to be honest, I don't even know what to look for besides obvious scratches.. and the quilts.. I dont know whether caviar can be puffy? Or how "beautiful" caviar should look like :P

Oh I see, LGHW would be amazing! As right now, I did think the gold was way to gold for my liking. :amuse:

Thats true! I do think if I ever saw the mini lambskin, and the quilts were not puffy.. I would have a hard time buying it, as I love puffy quilts. When you say dont focus on what location to buy it from.. do you mean that I should not focus on whether it is from Chanel boutique or reseller? Or do you mean different Chanel Boutiques? :smile:
Oh .. now when you mention to watch out for defects when I buy, I will definitely keep that in mind! But to be honest, I don't even know what to look for besides obvious scratches.. and the quilts.. I dont know whether caviar can be puffy? Or how "beautiful" caviar should look like :P

Oh I see, LGHW would be amazing! As right now, I did think the gold was way to gold for my liking. :amuse:
Oh then definitely look through the thread that's titled something like "is this a defect or is this normal" in the Chanel forum. There you will see tons of questions and answers regarding the quality of bags. I wish I was aware of all the issues that can occur before my first purchase. Some main things to look for are any loose stitches on the inside and outside, make sure the flap is not crooked, the Mona Lisa pocket is not crooked, the bag sits properly (doesn't tilt forward or backwards), check the leather on the chain to see if it's peeling or twisted anywhere, check the leather over all and make sure it's not damaged, check the CC logo too, make sure it's centered and straight. Also look at the hardware and ensure it's not already tarnishing. I think that covers it :smile: !!

You'll find so many variations in caviar. Some look dry and dull like very matte, some look shiny, some look too plasticky, puffy / less puffy. I would pick the best constructed bag that meets your taste.

• Insightful
Oh then definitely look through the thread that's titled something like "is this a defect or is this normal" in the Chanel forum. There you will see tons of questions and answers regarding the quality of bags. I wish I was aware of all the issues that can occur before my first purchase. Some main things to look for are any loose stitches on the inside and outside, make sure the flap is not crooked, the Mona Lisa pocket is not crooked, the bag sits properly (doesn't tilt forward or backwards), check the leather on the chain to see if it's peeling or twisted anywhere, check the leather over all and make sure it's not damaged, check the CC logo too, make sure it's centered and straight. Also look at the hardware and ensure it's not already tarnishing. I think that covers it :smile: !!

You'll find so many variations in caviar. Some look dry and dull like very matte, some look shiny, some look too plasticky, puffy / less puffy. I would pick the best constructed bag that meets your taste.

Funny this has come up because my friend tried to buy her first classic today and all we saw was defective bags!!! I had alot of problems finding mine a year ago and she’s experiencing the exact same quality issues. Misaligned flaps, deep creases in the quilts on the back corners, popped stitches you name it we have seen it all today! All bags were caviar. Im so disappointed for her :sad: definitely check your bag thoroughly!

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: Tina1010 and Put
I don't regret getting my classic in caviar at all but if I didn't have my mini I would have chosen lamb skin for my classic.
I see people keep saying wish lists don't exist so it must depend on where you are. im in the uk and they definitely exist here.
I had the same thing happen to me with an SA. I would speak to someone else next time who may be more helpful and will reply to your messages especially if your making such a large purchase and live so far away. I must have spoken to 3-4 different SAs before I found one who I clicked with. :lol:
I see, that makes sense! So maybe deep in my heart I know I eventually would want both, so that could be the explanation to why I suddently want a classic in caviar instead of lambskin :lol:
Was it long ago that you got your mini? Or just recently?

Really? Did you do that? :lol: I was thinking doing the same, just try to find another SA. Like I don't want to have to chase down an SA and beg her to reply me back. It does not feel right. And you are right, especially when I do live quite far away, you need someone who respons! Because I can't just randomly drop by any day to get help. May I ask whether you spoken to 3-4 SAs at the same boutique or were they at different locations? I don't know if it is best to try to get contact to another SA before showing up in the boutique for my purchase, or should I just pop in? I don't know what I would do if they assigned me the SA who did not respond to my messages, imagine that !:panic: