Please help me with my first Chanel! Classic small flap or mini rectangular?

What should I buy for my first Chanel?

• Classic small black caviar/lambskin

Votes: 61 65.6%
  • Mini rectangular black lambskin

Votes: 32 34.4%

• Total voters

Put

Jul 21, 2015
Hi all Chanel lovers! :girlsigh:

So I will try to make this short, but I have always wanted a classic flap, but never pulled the trigger. So just recently I did drop by a boutique, and was looking for the classic mini rectangular black lambskin with light gold hw. But they of course did not have it in stock, and I asked to try out the Classic flaps in black.. because I did want to figure out which size classic I would want in the future! :blush:

But so then the SA showed me the medium lambskin with shw and a small caviar with shw. And my SO immidiately told me that he loved the small, because the medium seems a little big for me (I am 5”2). So in my head I always thought that I would love classic flap black lambskin with gold hardware. And now I cant stop thinking about the classic small caviar and silver hardware!:love:

So my question is now.. I keep hearing people say that the price of classic are ridiculous and it is not worth buying in store anymore.
But this is my first, so in my heart I do want to buy in boutique. But am I being too emotinal? .. Also I could maybe go for the mini as my first one?As I do think i would also like the mini in lambskin. But then again, it is not the classic one, and it seems quite hard to come by the mini. But So here is the options I have been thinking of to ask you guys! Should i?

Option 1. Buy the Chanel classic in store this year, and maybe the urge to get a mini lambskin will go away or not :lol:

Option 2. Wait to buy the classic in the future and try to keep searching for a mini in the meantime.

I would really appreciate your opinions! And sorry for the long messy post !

Hi all Chanel lovers! :girlsigh:

So I will try to make this short, but I have always wanted a classic flap, but never pulled the trigger. So just recently I did drop by a boutique, and was looking for the classic mini rectangular black lambskin with light gold hw. But they of course did not have it in stock, and I asked to try out the Classic flaps in black.. because I did want to figure out which size classic I would want in the future! :blush:

But so then the SA showed me the medium lambskin with shw and a small caviar with shw. And my SO immidiately told me that he loved the small, because the medium seems a little big for me (I am 5”2). So in my head I always thought that I would love classic flap black lambskin with gold hardware. And now I cant stop thinking about the classic small caviar and silver hardware!:love:

So my question is now.. I keep hearing people say that the price of classic are ridiculous and it is not worth buying in store anymore.
But this is my first, so in my heart I do want to buy in boutique. But am I being too emotinal? .. Also I could maybe go for the mini as my first one?As I do think i would also like the mini in lambskin. But then again, it is not the classic one, and it seems quite hard to come by the mini. But So here is the options I have been thinking of to ask you guys! Should i?

Option 1. Buy the Chanel classic in store this year, and maybe the urge to get a mini lambskin will go away or not :lol:

Option 2. Wait to buy the classic in the future and try to keep searching for a mini in the meantime.

I would really appreciate your opinions! And sorry for the long messy post !

If you are willing and able to pay for the classic, I would say wait and get the black classic in the hardware of your choice. A mini doesn’t beat a classic unless you want different sizes or colors. I believe once you get the small black classic, you will not have a need/urge for the black mini. They practically hold the same amount.

I was in the same predicament. I knew I wanted a small classic, but would sometimes be tempted by the idea of a more affordable mini. Deep down, I knew I’d always want a black classic, so I finally went for it earlier this year. Absolutely no regrets! After a lot of contemplation, I didn’t think the mini rectangle in black gave the same look as the small classic. It seemed so small and almost casual on me? It is hard to explain, but I much preferred the look of the small classic in black on my frame. I also didn’t trust I’d “get over” having a classic. It felt like now or never :panic:

I watched endless YouTube videos, reviews, comparisons, etc. Trying them on was what sealed the deal for me.

Now I want a top handle, probably in a beige or pink :graucho: But I remain steadfast that having a black small classic checks all the boxes for me. Now I can move on to “fun” colors!

Good luck with your decision!

I was in the same predicament. I knew I wanted a small classic, but would sometimes be tempted by the idea of a more affordable mini. Deep down, I knew I’d always want a black classic, so I finally went for it earlier this year. Absolutely no regrets! After a lot of contemplation, I didn’t think the mini rectangle in black gave the same look as the small classic. It seemed so small and almost casual on me? It is hard to explain, but I much preferred the look of the small classic in black on my frame. I also didn’t trust I’d “get over” having a classic. It felt like now or never :panic:

I watched endless YouTube videos, reviews, comparisons, etc. Trying them on was what sealed the deal for me.

Now I want a top handle, probably in a beige or pink :graucho: But I remain steadfast that having a black small classic checks all the boxes for me. Now I can move on to “fun” colors!

Good luck with your decision!
Thats exactly what I do! The idea or hope that if i get by a mini, the urge for the classic small would dissapear. But now that I actually tried the small in store, I just can’t get my mind off it! I do worry a little bit that I changed my opinion so quickly in the boutique when it gets to the lambskin vs caviar and the gold vs silver! Like i said, in my mind i was “i only want lambskin gold hw” but then I tried the caviar silver hardware and i think my heart almost skipped a beat! But i can’t figure out whyyy. Maybe it was the pastel watercolored dress i wore that day, that just matched way better with that bag that day? :blush:
Ideally I would like to wait till next year, because I feel like I have spent “all” my bag money for this year. As I had a 4 year break from buying any bags.. but recently began to buy again :angel: But then again, i would kick myself for not buying before more price increases happens.. also I feel it will just gets worse with the price!

But thank you for your opinion, may I ask what classic did you choose ? :love:

Reactions: LVLVLVOE
If you are willing and able to pay for the classic, I would say wait and get the black classic in the hardware of your choice. A mini doesn’t beat a classic unless you want different sizes or colors. I believe once you get the small black classic, you will not have a need/urge for the black mini. They practically hold the same amount.
Thank you! I would say that I am able to pay for the classic, but ideally in my mine I would like to wait another year as I feel like I have been using “all” my bag money. But I know if there happen to be a price increase I would kick myself for waiting again :panic: and you are right If i decide on a classic i would have to also make a decision on whether it should be caviar or lambskin and silver or gold hw. Right now I am so in love with the small black caviar silver hw! And it confuse me soo much, as I always thought I wanted lambskin gold hardware.

Thank you! I would say that I am able to pay for the classic, but ideally in my mine I would like to wait another year as I feel like I have been using “all” my bag money. But I know if there happen to be a price increase I would kick myself for waiting again :panic: and you are right If i decide on a classic i would have to also make a decision on whether it should be caviar or lambskin and silver or gold hw. Right now I am so in love with the small black caviar silver hw! And it confuse me soo much, as I always thought I wanted lambskin gold hardware.
I got a medium classic thinking it would stop me wanting a mini and it didn't then changed my classic for a black mini and wanted the classic so went back for one :lol: they won't and can't replace one another imo. I would think about how you wear your bags? I prefer crossbody and the classic didn't look right on me cross body.
what leather you want? I've seen scratched lambskin classics and I've seen caviar classics with the corners worn down and creased, both were fresh in the boutique so both can show signs of wear if not looked after. caviar is definitely better if using everyday but I love how lambskin ages even if it means getting a few scratches :loveeyes:
If your going for a small classic flap it can fit the same in as a mini so do you love it enough to pay over double the price?
also the minis with champagne gold hardware are beautiful as they look great with both gold and silver jewellery.
and make sure you aren't buying the classic flap because its available now, a mini will come up if that's what you really want!
Let us know what you decide and try not rush to avoid price increases
if you don't get the one you want in the first place you could also end up buying the one you really want later down the line and it will cost you even more money.

Small classic holds the same as mini. You are paying double for essentially the same size, which might be a reason why minis are hard to come by. If your heart desires classic, I would go for a medium. I tried it on but I just could not get over the fact that it was hard to get into the bag due to double flap. Plus, I would be scratching the inner flap with either my e-ring or bracelets so I would always have to be mindful. I just do not have time for all that fuss. Plus, it sits very high on me (but I am 5'5"). I have two minis and no regrets.

I have a small caviar classic in black with silver hardware, a WOC and I still want to add a mini with light gold hardware. The mini is extremely difficult to find unless you go through a reseller. I've been looking now for over a year, no luck. I think both bags serve totally different purposes even though they essentially fit the same. So think hard about what you want to use it for and how you like to carry your bags. I don't wear my small size around due to my very casual lifestyle with little kids, it has only been used for special occasions. If it had crossbody functionality, I think I would feel more comfortable using it more often. That's why I want to add the mini, but I would have to be cautious because of lambskin. I just feel a lot more comfortable with crossbody bags. Now that you've tried on the small, you'll probably really want it. I also like the small over a medium, it's a cuter look on shorter people. I'm 5 ft exactly and the black in medium felt like a serious work bag on me. I agree with others, maybe get the caviar small in black and mini's in another color whenever you find it. You might be waiting a while if you're wanting it from the boutique.

Just adding .. have you ever seen the gold hardware in person? It's much more yellow in person than I expected, so I went for the silver too. I prefer the light gold hardware over the gold but that's not available in a small or medium size.

Last edited:
I have a small caviar classic in black with silver hardware, a WOC and I still want to add a mini with light gold hardware. The mini is extremely difficult to find unless you go through a reseller. I've been looking now for over a year, no luck. I think both bags serve totally different purposes even though they essentially fit the same. So think hard about what you want to use it for and how you like to carry your bags. I don't wear my small size around due to my very casual lifestyle with little kids, it has only been used for special occasions. If it had crossbody functionality, I think I would feel more comfortable using it more often. That's why I want to add the mini, but I would have to be cautious because of lambskin. I just feel a lot more comfortable with crossbody bags. Now that you've tried on the small, you'll probably really want it. I also like the small over a medium, it's a cuter look on shorter people. I'm 5 ft exactly and the black in medium felt like a serious work bag on me. I agree with others, maybe get the caviar small in black and mini's in another color whenever you find it. You might be waiting a while if you're wanting it from the boutique.
I got my black mini within 1 month of going on the wish list so it depends on your local boutique and the SA you ask. I understand i was lucky but it can definitely happen as i also had no relationship was a particular SA.
Even if it was a longer wait if the op isnt looking to buy for maybe another year she has plenty of time to go on a wish list if thats the bag she really wants :smile:

I think working out which bag you want and why is the best option rather than which bag is easiest to find otherwise you may settle when you didn’t have to!

Get a small caviar in silver hardware. Minis only come in lambskin so at least it’s a valid reason for spending way more on a classic flap over the mini. While they may look similar they are not the same and you’d still want a small

Reactions: Put
I got my black mini within 1 month of going on the wish list so it depends on your local boutique and the SA you ask. I understand i was lucky but it can definitely happen as i also had no relationship was a particular SA.
Even if it was a longer wait if the op isnt looking to buy for maybe another year she has plenty of time to go on a wish list if thats the bag she really wants :smile:

I think working out which bag you want and why is the best option rather than which bag is easiest to find otherwise you may settle when you didn’t have to!

Wow you definitely got lucky. Was this in the US? Recently?
Yeah I agree, better to think about the purpose of the bag than have regrets later. It's really hard to stop at one though and not want to buy multiple styles/sizes. You find a way to convince yourself why the next one is necessary, haha.

• Haha
Reactions: Put and cclover95
Wow you definitely got lucky. Was this in the US? Recently?
Yeah I agree, better to think about the purpose of the bag than have regrets later. It's really hard to stop at one though and not want to buy multiple styles/sizes. You find a way to convince yourself why the next one is necessary, haha.
This was in the uk but its the exact same situation here. I know people are waiting for over a year usually. I really did get lucky with a great SA but as i didnt have a relationship with an SA it took me asking a few of them before one of them finally said they would even put me on a wish list.

I got a classic flap as my first purchase before a mini because I thought I couldn’t get a mini. Returned it because i never got the mini out of my head, then went back for the medium classic flap just because ‘its the classic’
Just like you i have children and live a casual lifestyle so i’ve actually NEVER used mine. A very expensive bag to have just because its classic.
Ive then ended up buying a wallet on chain because i needed a grab and go / evening bag and the classic flap is just not suitable as an everyday bag for me even if its caviar and its durable.

Id rather pay £2k more and have a fresh bag out the boutique in 2 years when im ready to use it rather than having to worry about constantly checking on the one i have sitting in my wardrobe making sure its not showing wear from storage and airing it out so it doesn’t tarnish.

I know people who never stop using their classics and cost per wear is so worth it so definitely depends on the person’s lifestyle.

I dont see the mini even going ‘out of fashion’ even if its not technically a classic. My next bag will be another mini for sure.

I got a medium classic thinking it would stop me wanting a mini and it didn't then changed my classic for a black mini and wanted the classic so went back for one :lol: they won't and can't replace one another imo. I would think about how you wear your bags? I prefer crossbody and the classic didn't look right on me cross body.
what leather you want? I've seen scratched lambskin classics and I've seen caviar classics with the corners worn down and creased, both were fresh in the boutique so both can show signs of wear if not looked after. caviar is definitely better if using everyday but I love how lambskin ages even if it means getting a few scratches :loveeyes:
If your going for a small classic flap it can fit the same in as a mini so do you love it enough to pay over double the price?
also the minis with champagne gold hardware are beautiful as they look great with both gold and silver jewellery.
and make sure you aren't buying the classic flap because its available now, a mini will come up if that's what you really want!
Let us know what you decide and try not rush to avoid price increases
if you don't get the one you want in the first place you could also end up buying the one you really want later down the line and it will cost you even more money.
Oh really ! So which classic and mini do you have now? :love:
I do like to wear my bag over the shoulder or high crossbody. And about the leather.. I feel like I would use the caviar more, as I already have lambskin bags that I do feel the need to baby a lot. Even though lambskin feel so luxurious, but the sturdiness of the caviar also speaks to me. So thats why I have been playing with the idea that I would get the small in caviar, and the mini in lambskin :biggrin:
I do love the classic flap, and now even more when I got to try the small size on. I actually did hope that i would not like the small size, and keep searching for the mini. But as you can see, that did not happen!
I know I should not rush to avoid price increases, but I just researched the increases of the classic flap (yes I know I am late to the game:doh:) and they are insane!