Plea for the Chinese government-PLEASE ACT

chloehandbags said:
^^^ If that's the only reason, why do they skin the seals alive and sell their fur, then?

I'm not torn in any way - it's barbarism at its worst. :sad:

Couldn't it actually be argued that there are too many fishermen and they're eating/stealing the seals' fish?

As someone who is cynical about PETA, don't you think you should also be cynical about a person who profits from the clubbing and skinning of baby seals?

BTW, the way that the chickens and other birds were treated has upset many people, but I think it is normal for most people to be even more upset about other mammals.

Yeah, I apologize. I made a judgement without fully reading up on the subject. I never said I was for it, I said I didn't know. I know now and I don't like it. Sure, they can be used for meat, as well as fur, but that doesn't make it right clubbing baby animals!

BBC NEWS | Americas | Canada embarks on mass seal hunt

The other thing about the seal hunt is that the fisherman actually don't even get paid that much for clubbing these poor seals. Therefore, I cannot see any reason why they should embark on such a hunt aside from petty greed. And even if they do get paid a ton for these furs (which they don't, it supposedly account for less than 10% of their yearly revenue - I think), it still does not justify the cruel way that they kill these poor animals.

It's very sad because many of these baby seals were only a few weeks old and they had not even taken their first swim yet. Some of them ended up drowning to death after being clubbed because they had no idea how to swim. Also, their coats are considered worthless if they're greatly damaged. Therefore, a lot of these hunters just shoot the seal, which often end up wounding the seals and leaving them for a slow and agonizing death.:crybaby:

You can't really call it a seal hunt if you think about it. Clubbing a baby seal on an ice floe is really not that difficult.

(If you want the challenge . . . and to make it fair, jump into the water and go after them while they're swimming.)

To add: I should've gone with my theory on eating meat that says I won't eat it if the animal suffers unnecessarily.

These baby seals DO suffer unnecessarily so that should've answered my question right there of whether or not I supported it.

Although I never bought into the whole being skinned alive thing. (If you skin an animal alive, it ruins the pelt.) That doesn't justify killing a baby animal, though.

caitlin1214 said:
You can't really call it a seal hunt if you think about it. Clubbing a baby seal on an ice floe is really not that difficult.

(If you want the challenge . . . and to make it fair, jump into the water and go after them while they're swimming.)

Very good point. :yes:

Unfortunately, even if the seal clubbers were prepared to do that (yeah, right!), as koukanamiya says, the baby seals aren't old enough to swim yet. :sad:

caitlin1214 said:
To add: I should've gone with my theory on eating meat that says I won't eat it if the animal suffers unnecessarily.

These baby seals DO suffer unnecessarily so that should've answered my question right there of whether or not I supported it.

Although I never bought into the whole being skinned alive thing. (If you skin an animal alive, it ruins the pelt.) That doesn't justify killing a baby animal, though.

They do skin animals alive for fur. :sad:

My BF watched covert footage of it (I was too horrified to look, but he was brave :flowers: ).

chloehandbags said:
I find it very interesting that the West does nothing to help Tibet and yet, when Iraq invaded Kuwait...:biguns:

Not enough oil in Tibet? :whistle:

I agree w/ you. Don't even get me started on US flawed policies:cursing:

Tibet has nothing for the US to take/steal. I've seen the Dalai Lama in person and heard him speak, it's heartbreaking he'll never return to Tibet. That's another topic all together.

On anther note, I rarely eat meat, I do eat fish (wild only, no farm raised). I'm very careful about the meat I do buy/eat. Animal cruelty exists to bring all that meat to the grocery store, chicken and beef alike. It's very disturbing. I feel so sorry for all those animals.

Ok, this might be a very stupid question, but what is wrong with Tibet? What happened/happening there? I don't know anything about this, but lately I have seen stuff saying Free Tibet, etc.

^ Sorry about the OT nature of this post, BTW and please can everyone sign the anti dog killing petition, if you haven't already! :yes:

1949 People's Republic of China is proclaimed by Chinese Communist Party. New Chinese government affirms recognition of Mongolia.
1950 Red China invades Tibet; Tibetan army destroyed in battle at Chamdo.
1951 17 Point Agreement between China and Tibet; Chinese occupy Lhasa.
1955 Kham is detached from Tibet and administered directly by the CCP
1956 Tibetans in Kham and Qinghai (Amdo) begin revolt against CCP rule.
1957 The United States begins to arm the Tibetan resistance via CIA.
1959 Anti-Chinese revolt spreads to Lhasa; 14th Dalai Lama flees to India.
1960 A report by the International Commission of Jurists concludes that,"acts of genocide [have] been committed in Tibet in an attempt to destroy the Tibetans as a religious group."
1962 China-India War: China advances beyond McMahon Line, then withdraws.
1963 The Tibetan Government-in-Exile writes a ********ic constitution for a future liberated Tibet.
1965 China sets up Tibet Autonomous Region in U'Tsang and western Kham.
1966-69 Cultural Revolution: Red Guards rampage destroys most Tibetan temples.
1969 Fighting among Red Guard factions; PLA intervenes to restore order.
1971 The United States cuts off military aid to the Tibetan resistance.
1974 Nepal forces the Tibetan resistance to leave its base in Mustang.
1979 China allows delegation from Government-in-exileto visit Tibet.
1980 CCP General Secretary Hu Yaobang visits Tibet and promises to "restore the Tibetan economy to its pre-1959 level."
1982 Solzhenitsyn calls the CCP regime in Tibet "more brutal and inhuman than any other communist regime in the world."
1987 Police fire on a massive pro-independence demonstration in Lhasa.
1988 Qiao Shi, China's security chief, visits Tibet and vows to "adopt a policy of merciless repression".
Speaking in Strasbourg, the Dalai Lama makes a "five point" peace plan for a Tibet within China.
1989 Dalai Lama receives Nobel Peace Prize; martial law imposed in Tibet.
1992 China declares Tibet "open" to foreign investment.
Chen Kuiyuan is named CCP leader for Tibet and calls for a purge of those party members who "act as internal agents of the Dalai Lama clique".
1993 Residents of Lhasa protest against price increases and the charging of fees for formally free medical services.
1994 Potala Palace, DL's traditional residence, is restored and reopened.
1995 China denounces the six-year old boy recognised by the Dalai Lama as the 11th Panchen Lama, and imposes its own candidate.
1996 China bans the displaying of photographs of the Dalai Lama.

Courtesy of Free Tibet Campaign.

The HUMAN rights abuses are horrid , like Jillybean said . I'm sorry but this will accomplush nothing . maybe when they stop forcing women to have abortions after one child , or going into villages where it's not inforced and killing "extra" children off right in front of their families, maybe then you can talk about animal rights ?

we can but try... :flowers: