Plea for the Chinese government-PLEASE ACT

jillybean307 said:
I don't mean to be cynical, but do you know what the Chinese government does to its own people? The government does give a flying fig about their own people, let alone animals. They're one of the worst human rights violators in the world. I don't know what PETA thinks an online petition is going to do.

Totally agree with you. What China has done to its people and Tibet is one of the worst attrocities in recent history.

FREE TIBET!!!! (what's left of it anyway)

I signed this petition:

Take Action: China: A Country with No Animal Welfare Laws Reaches the Height of Cruelty

I'm sorry, but I could not, in good conscience, sign anything put out by PETA. I don't like the organization and I don't like the hypocracy put forth by the organization.

I was discussing the whole thing with my dad about how human rights and animal rights went hand in hand. My dad's theory is that people are so against the awful treatment of dogs (or other mammals) because they're closer to humans than, say, chickens. Which makes sense. People don't jump up and down about the mass killing of chickens due to the bird flu scare.

In terms of the seal hunt, I used to be so against it, until I read a letter to People Magazine by a Newfoundland fisherman. He was writing in response to the feature in which Paul McCartney and then-wife Heather went to Newfoundland to protest the 'brutal killing of baby seals.' The fisherman's response was that they kill the seals because there are too many and the seals eat all the fisherman's fish. It's population control. (Although I can't wrap my mind around the concept of killing babies, I can't put a Club Sandwiches, Not Seals bumper sticker on my car.) Now I'm torn about the whole seal clubbing thing.

I know this is irrational, but what are we doing about human population control?! I hate this 'population control' topic, because guess what, we as humans have destroyed enough homes, forests, water quality, etc. We are taking over and they are soon going to be left with nothing.

^^^ If that's the only reason, why do they skin the seals alive and sell their fur, then?

I'm not torn in any way - it's barbarism at its worst. :sad:

Couldn't it actually be argued that there are too many fishermen and they're eating/stealing the seals' fish?

As someone who is cynical about PETA, don't you think you should also be cynical about a person who profits from the clubbing and skinning of baby seals?

BTW, the way that the chickens and other birds were treated has upset many people, but I think it is normal for most people to be even more upset about other mammals.

caitlin1214 said:
I signed this petition:

Take Action: China: A Country with No Animal Welfare Laws Reaches the Height of Cruelty

I'm sorry, but I could not, in good conscience, sign anything put out by PETA. I don't like the organization and I don't like the hypocracy put forth by the organization.

I was discussing the whole thing with my dad about how human rights and animal rights went hand in hand. My dad's theory is that people are so against the awful treatment of dogs (or other mammals) because they're closer to humans than, say, chickens. Which makes sense. People don't jump up and down about the mass killing of chickens due to the bird flu scare.

In terms of the seal hunt, I used to be so against it, until I read a letter to People Magazine by a Newfoundland fisherman. He was writing in response to the feature in which Paul McCartney and then-wife Heather went to Newfoundland to protest the 'brutal killing of baby seals.' The fisherman's response was that they kill the seals because there are too many and the seals eat all the fisherman's fish. It's population control. (Although I can't wrap my mind around the concept of killing babies, I can't put a Club Sandwiches, Not Seals bumper sticker on my car.) Now I'm torn about the whole seal clubbing thing.

Rubbish, 'population contol' is a common excuse in the western world for greed.

Shelley said:
Totally agree with you. What China has done to its people and Tibet is one of the worst attrocities in recent history.

FREE TIBET!!!! (what's left of it anyway)

I find it very interesting that the West does nothing to help Tibet and yet, when Iraq invaded Kuwait...:biguns:

Not enough oil in Tibet? :whistle:

Done and sent to hundreds on my spam list. Irregardless of whether it helps or not, most of us appreciate you posting the link, as heartbreaking as it is. It is what it is and I'm not going to make any comparissons or give excuses as to why we shouldn't at least give it a shot.

Danica said:
I know this is irrational, but what are we doing about human population control?! I hate this 'population control' topic, because guess what, we as humans have destroyed enough homes, forests, water quality, etc. We are taking over and they are soon going to be left with nothing.
Great point, Danica. I have always thought the same thing.:yes:

Westiegirl said:
Rubbish, 'population contol' is a common excuse in the western world for greed.

What would animals and nature ever do without the existance of the human animal to brutally kill them in an effort to control the population. More developments turn into a smaller area of which these animals can roam so I guess they need to be killed by those that are shrinking their environment. :rolleyes: The seal clubbing issue...what a bunch of bunko. There's plenty of fish in the area of which they exist. Fishermen just don't want their big haul, AKA $$, be effected by seals who HAVE to rely on those fish to live and those who are using the overpopulation of harp seals as an excuse in making money by beating baby seals to death is pretty pathetic. I guess it's specifically the ones with the soft, baby white fur that happen to be worth alot of, once again, $$, who ironically are the problems. And they have to be beaten to death painfully because bullets would cause holes in their skin. Give me a break.