pierced ears but no earrings: yay or nay?

Do "unfilled" piercing holes look unpolished/unattractive?

• Yes.

Votes: 27 55.1%
  • No.

Votes: 22 44.9%

• Total voters
I used to have three earrings in each ear. About 10 years ago I decided I didn't like the look of that many earrings and let my holes close over. Unfortunately they never really do and you can still clearly see my second holes. I hate it on me. I feel really unpolished and have even looked into surgery/procedures just to get rid of these damn holes. My opinion, only get the extra holes if you plan on keeping an earring in all the time.

I have had triple piercings since the 80’s also. The holes get really tiny if I don’t wear earrings in them.
If I don’t want them to show I just wear really big earring [emoji6]

When I was younger (20 years old) I thought it was really cool to have 3 ear piercings. Unfortunately as I grow older, I regret the decision very much. The third hole has completely closed (Thank God) and I can't see it anymore, the second one on my right ear is still visible and on the left ear of the second piercing is partially closed. I don't like the look of empty second piercing thus I wear big earrings to cover them. I recently purchased a big 10-12 mm freshwater pearl and it seems to do the trick in covering the second piercing. :smile:

Reactions: bonfire-heart
Hey y'all,
I'm thinking about getting second earlobe piercings but I'm worried that "unfilled" piercing holes might look unpolished and unattractive. The thing is, I often wear my Tiffany pearl studs and I wouldn't want to fill those "extra" holes when I wear them. I was told to get teeny tiny diamond studs to fill the second holes and compliment the pearls but I just don't like the look. So, what do you think? Do "unfilled" piercing holes look unpolished/unattractive?
Here are some photos for a reference:
photo 1: the look I'd like to partly recreate; photo 2: unfilled piercing holes; photo 3: my dilemma: the look I don't fancy. View attachment 3870644
I don’t like empty holes but wouldn’t think anything about it if I saw it on someone. Also, I think the reason photo 3 doesn’t look so great is because the diamond stud is too large and not positioned well. If you went for a really tiny (like 1-2mm) diamond and not too close to the 1st piercing, it would look much cuter.

I don’t like empty holes but wouldn’t think anything about it if I saw it on someone. Also, I think the reason photo 3 doesn’t look so great is because the diamond stud is too large and not positioned well. If you went for a really tiny (like 1-2mm) diamond and not too close to the 1st piercing, it would look much cuter.

Tbh I could never rock this style because I enjoy the simplicity and the classic look of pearl studs too much. Diamonds are so extra. But yeah, I know exactly what you mean. This combination looks like a perfect gemstone marriage on some ladies.

Both my ears are double pierced, but I always keep a pair of small diamond studs in the 2nd holes. I only remove them to clean them. But they were a gift from my parents well over 20 years ago so they are special to me. I hardly ever remove them, I just wear them with other regular earrings in the first piercing. The diamonds are small enough that they really don't interfere.

Also -- the pic you posted where the person is wearing a pearl with a diamond looks odd because the piercings are too close together. They would look better if they were further apart.

I used to have three earrings in each ear. About 10 years ago I decided I didn't like the look of that many earrings and let my holes close over. Unfortunately they never really do and you can still clearly see my second holes. I hate it on me. I feel really unpolished and have even looked into surgery/procedures just to get rid of these damn holes. My opinion, only get the extra holes if you plan on keeping an earring in all the time.

I'm so sorry to hear that... You should definitely get an earlobe repair surgery done if you hate your piercing holes so much. It's pretty expensive though :sad: And thank you for the advice: I do agree with you. I guess it's safe to say that I probably wouldn't keep earrings in all the time so yeah, I decided not to get those second earlobe piercings after all...

Tbh I could never rock this style because I enjoy the simplicity and the classic look of pearl studs too much. Diamonds are so extra. But yeah, I know exactly what you mean. This combination looks like a perfect gemstone marriage on some ladies.
I had the same dilemma because I think large diamond studs look better alone than paired with 2nd hole earrings. My current 2nd studs are 2.5mm and are still too blingy with my main diamond studs. I think I will go for tiny plain gold or super small diamonds when I change them out. Vrai and oro and catbird carry some really small studs.

I thought I'd post some ear inspiration :angel: Gahhh, I love the look so much.
I think you should just do it. A fresh piercing hole will be small and barely visible. Only stretched out holes are noticeable to me. And it doesn’t seem like you are likely to wear heavy earrings in the 2nd holes to stretch them out since you posted only tiny dainty earrings above. I am so into this style as well.

I had the same dilemma because I think large diamond studs look better alone than paired with 2nd hole earrings. My current 2nd studs are 2.5mm and are still too blingy with my main diamond studs. I think I will go for tiny plain gold or super small diamonds when I change them out. Vrai and oro and catbird carry some really small studs.

Tiny gold studs seem like a great idea, @muddledmint :flowers:

Attachments

• IMG_3316.PNG
    IMG_3316.PNG
    484.4 KB · Views: 445
Last edited:
I say do it. My mother refused to allow me to have second holes. Guess what I did (myself) the first week at university?

I left them empty forever but i like this look too so I now wear a Star in one of them. I went with a nose stud actually because the stem is so thin it doesn’t stretch the hole and it is also shorter so i can sleep on it.

Unfilled holes don't bother me and I've never really stopped to consider what others might think about my unfilled ear piercings. I wear 5carat diamond inside out hoops in my first hole and 1.5ctw studs in the second hole, I think it looks great!
View attachment 3877462
View attachment 3877463

These earrings look amazing on you! :heart: But I think that in Paris, I'd get robbed if I decided to wear something like this.

Reactions: NLVOEWITHLV