Pet Insurance Opinions

I'd like to warn against VPI. We bought it when we got our second cat. She had a lot of problems (medical issues, and mental issues from being abused) and they found a way to weasel out of every single claim. We dumped them after paying out several thousand bucks in vet bills and getting not a penny.

It would be in your better interest to set aside some cash every month into an account just in case of vet bills.

I'd like to warn against VPI. We bought it when we got our second cat. She had a lot of problems (medical issues, and mental issues from being abused) and they found a way to weasel out of every single claim. We dumped them after paying out several thousand bucks in vet bills and getting not a penny.

It would be in your better interest to set aside some cash every month into an account just in case of vet bills.

^^ i'm so sorry to hear about your kitty SunnyT...i know it can be very difficult to insure older pets or pets w/medical issues...that's why i didn't even bother trying to insure my last bichon once he developed health problems...i don't think any insurance company would have taken him...unfortunately, as far as i know, pet insurance is only useful for people who sign their pets up when they're young & healthy (which is why i just signed my 5 month old puppy up now)...and then, when they get sick or injured later on, it pays quite a bit (depending on your coverage) :girlsigh:

I pay around $300 a year to insure my Bichon (I'm in Europe) That amount covers the best insurance plan available, and I wouldn't go without it. The other Bichon I had got cancer and diabetes and had to have 4 surgeries before she passed away. I didn't have insurance for her, but I signed my puppy up the minute I got her, since I would never want the cost to be an issue if she ever has any health issues. The year I discovered she had allergies, the insurance paid for itself.

I have VPI and I've had a good experience. My dog cut her foot a while back and needed stitches and we got reimbursed quite a bit. I know that the Petsmart near us has a large vets practice in it and they offer a program where you pay a certain amount each month and it covers almost everything.

SunnyT - I'm sorry to hear about your cat and your experience with VPI. I can't believe they found a reason to deny all of your claims. I've actually been quite pleased and somewhat surprised that I've gotten back most of the money I've put into it. When I submitted my last claim (the one I posted on page 1) I was planning on cancelling if they didn't pay out -- but I got all but $50 bucks back.

I live in Sweden, so I guess it could be a bit different here. I have a dog insurance. The annual fee is approx $370/year but I had the good fortune to find a girl who always wins insurance gift cards in agility shows. She sells me one for $100 each year.

The excess fee $150 and then I have to pay 15% of everything above that. It covers just about everything. If the insurance office is open, the vet will settle the bill directly. Otherwise you need to call the insurance company the next day, give them your account nr and they'll repay you within 1-2 days. You never need to do any discussion with the insurance company. That's made between them and the vet.

I know the VPI site says that it covers pbut what does it mean by this? Basically, my dog is on Heartgard & Frontline. So if I need to renew her prescription, would she be completely covered?

Also, does anyone know if the Petsmart plan is any good? The petsmart near my job is actually quite nice - the nicest of the ones I have been to and it is relatively new.

Thanks

^^ For flea control and heartworm prevention, you get a defined certain amount back per year. It doesn't pay for all of it, but it covers a lot of it.

If you go to petinsurance.com and find the different plan benefit schedules - you can see all that's covered and about how much you can expect back.

I just checked my policy - I can't find the exact figure, but I know it's a fair amount.

I believe that was the recommendation given by the AVMA in an article in JAVMA. Insurance companies may have changed since I was a vet tech in 2004, but I remember that there were many things that were not covered or that the owner paid upfront and was later reimbursed.
I personally do not have pet insurance for my two cats. The annual fee that I would pay to cover them is more than their annual shots, etc cost. I do have a savings account set aside to use in the case of emergencies.

I believe that was the recommendation given by the AVMA in an article in JAVMA. Insurance companies may have changed since I was a vet tech in 2004, but I remember that there were many things that were not covered or that the owner paid upfront and was later reimbursed.
I personally do not have pet insurance for my two cats. The annual fee that I would pay to cover them is more than their annual shots, etc cost. I do have a savings account set aside to use in the case of emergencies.

^^ Yes, the AVMA likes to recommend just opening a savings account. But personally, I like the insurance part.... just knowing I have it - because what if I didn't have enough money in the savings account when my dog went into the hospital for 3 days? As stated in an earlier post, I just like the security of being able to think with my heart instead of my checkbook!

Part of their reason for recommending the savings account (ie taking the money you would pay as pet insurance into an account) was to ensure that you would not be making a decision with your checkbook. It is never clear what services will be covered until you submit your bill. There have been enough instances when services aren't reimbursed that they made this recommendation. I think that really speaks volumes as to what the pet insurance companies are about here in the US.
There is also the issue that some companies are no longer in business. So people have paid into accounts and have no way of getting it back.

I agree with setting money aside yourself - self insuring your pet. I don't trust them as there are so many rip off companies and I don't know which are which. But this thread is great information!

My friend has the insurance offered at Banfield (the vet clinic at PetSmart) and she RAVES about it all the time. She loves them!

I'm not trying to argue or say that anyone's ideas are wrong - but I know with VPI and my coverage, I'm able to see exactly what will be paid out for anything. The forms are online and every year when I renew the policy, they send me a hard copy in the mail.

Spending $400 at the vets and getting $300 back (knowing there was a $50 deductible) is pretty good if you ask me!