Personal, recent musings about Hermes and luxury bags in general

What kind of jewellery does your dad want you to buy? It sounds like the whole thing is about financial savvyness to him. You tell him that Hermes bags are an investment too and they will appreciate in value over time. (Just don't trash the bag! :P) Maybe not as much as jewellery, but they will. See if his opinion will change. No need to argue with him, just present him with the facts of the prices retail and reseller. Don't talk specifically about the bolide, talk about the brand as a whole and put some spotlight on the birkin so he can see the value of Hermes.

Sweetie, boy, do I know how you feel...Although I'm not your age...my daughter is closer...my sister doesn't get my purse obsession. She is always ready to accept the ones that I ask if she wants...when I'm not using them anymore. But, if she had a choice...she would not spend the money on a bag. So, when your bag comes in, if you love it...it's your decision, not hers. I personally think Hermes is something that you will love forever.

All my personal opinions are already mentioned.

To sum it up: its all about Quality than Quantity:smile: Go for what you really like not what others try to dictate. Its all about personal taste and etc.

Cheers!:drinkup:

I would follow your heart.

My sister and I are totally opposites. She has a lot more money than I do but won't spend more than $100 for a purse. It just is not a priority to her. For Christmas I gently hinted that I'd like to get her an H scarf and she said it really would be a waste of money... that she just isn't interesested.

So, I mention this because I love H scarves and I'm not about to change just because my sister doesn't like them. And I obviously think differently about purses than she does. But again, I'm not going to change just because of her.

If my mother were alive she would have had a fit that I spent $2,000 on a handbag. It would be incomprehensible to her. Soooo even within one family you will find differences in taste and in values. I always have gone with what I like and have never worried about what my family or anyone else thinks. As long as I am not harming anyone... it is my life.

What kind of jewellery does your dad want you to buy? It sounds like the whole thing is about financial savvyness to him. You tell him that Hermes bags are an investment too and they will appreciate in value over time. (Just don't trash the bag! :P) Maybe not as much as jewellery, but they will. See if his opinion will change. No need to argue with him, just present him with the facts of the prices retail and reseller. Don't talk specifically about the bolide, talk about the brand as a whole and put some spotlight on the birkin so he can see the value of Hermes.

I wish that would work, but it wouldn't fly with him :sad: He's a serious antique collector (furniture, art, etc.), and all of the jewelry he buys for my family (mom, sister, me) is antique; 70% of it is art deco/20's diamonds. I don't even truly believe that Hermes is an investment, per say; more definable for me as a piece of fashion that you'll get your money's worth of use out of :yes: I guess because I grew up collecting antiques too, so my idea of an investment is the same as my Dads, to a degree. His idea of financial savvyness is miles away from fashion, unfortunately :Push: I don't think I'll ever receive approval from him for something like Hermes :sad:

I guess I think of buying Hermes not only as an indulgence, but also perpetuating a craft that has been around for generations. How sad it would be if the world lost all of it's craft-persons, and everything was mass-produced. A lot of things are mass-produced now, or produced in the cheapest way possible, but we consumers are still paying way too much for them, so your sister is correct there. But the craftsmanship that goes into Hermes is worth it, that is why it is truly a luxury item. I applaud your discernment.

neeya, as someone who is easily influenced by the opinions of those i love.......i think you have to follow your own heart on a purchase this big. if YOU love it, allow yourself to be happy about the purchase. talk to your sister and just tell her "i appreciate what you're saying, and i know we disagree about this, but it makes me really happy, so could we just agree to disagree so that i can be excited about this?" ultimately, she loves you, and i think she'll let it go if you say something to her frankly.

i know it's hard, and i know the pit in your stomach you get when you get that disapproving look from someone whose opinion you value highly. but one of the things we all have to learn in life is to trust ourSELVES first, and the opinions of others second. i'm still working on this myself :smile: but perhaps your RS bolide can be a reminder to you of that very, very hard lesson, and of your pride in yourself for being able to do it!

Different people have different opinions, but only you can be you. I know it's hard to disregard what your family members think, especially when they talk freely to you. I would just say, let's agree to disagree, and change the subject. I wouldn't discuss it with them or ask for their approval.
Hugs! And believe in your own taste. I beleive you know what you want.

I understand your situation completely and I know, as hard as you may try, it is very difficult to block out other people's opinion. I saw these Gucci loafers at the Neimans in SF on sale from like a bajillion down to 450 and wanted them REALLY badly. My parents, I tried to divide and conquer, both said no. Although I cried, really, leaving the store, I haven't looked back now.

This, however, isn't some purse you saw in passing. You have been hankering for a RS Bolide since you practically got on this forum. You have thought it out and have been saving. It wouldn't hurt to build up a collection to support your other outfits but you already know you will be using the bag for the next 5-10 years. I say, GO GET IT!

You can't choose your family but you CAN choose your purses ;)!

Lol, this is true :upsidedown:

Florasun, I definitely agree! I love hand made items by hard working crafts people, in all aspects of my life, from art to jewelry to bags! That's the only thing I'd have on my side when explaining the Hermes concept to my Dad, because he has a great appreciation for well-crafted pieces.

reallouis, I'm sorry you didn't get your shoes! I feel your pain! I would never have gotten my speedy purchased directly by my Dad if it wasn't using funds that I had earned from working for his business :sweatdrop:

Luckily, SO supports me no matter what. He's pretty much the only one that's really close to me that does fully support me in my purchasing of high quality items. If I didn't have him to back me up and you guys, I think I would have given up by now due to family pressure!

Ok, I think I understand how you feel.. I'm only 18, and I do have a few luxury bags. No one my age I know would spend the amount of money I spend on bags and accessories. (£190 for an Hermes Entreveire bracelet!)

Sure, the money comes from my parents, but whatever I'm given, I save up and I buy whatever I want. I think it's important to know that whatever you buy is for yourself and not for anyone else. My sister doesn't do luxury stuff and would not even buy luxury goods or expensive clothes. I'm different. I'm not a snob, but I believe in quality rather than quantity. I like to buy stuff that are not necessarily more expensive, but of better quality.

I, like you, have had disapproving looks from people whose opinions I do value, but then again, what is more important - your own thoughts and feel about your purchases? or other people's opinions? To me, I don't exactly bother about what people think about my purchases 'cos ultimately, I know that I'm happy with my purchases.

Hope this helps, neeya.

Simply put, people just have different priorities.

I have never enjoyed shopping in stores like Forever21 and the like... well... not since I was in my young teens. It doesn't make me happy and I am not in to disposable clothing.

That said, I know that some people are and I won't begrudge them that. I just realize that we spend money differently and we both feel as though we get our moneys worth from different items.

I've been carrying designer bags for years and definitely at 22. If the bag is something you love, who cares what your sister or other people think? Do what makes YOU happy. If you don't really want it, don't buy it. It won't be worth it if you don't love it. Then you will have buyer's remorse.

I have always had a more classic style and though I am not really an Hermes (bag) fan for the most part, I can appreciate why someone else would be. That bag will last you a life time when well taken care of so if you love it, don't let other people say it's not worth it b/c for you it will be. That is what matters.

Neeya, when you took your sister with you to Hermes, were you asking her opinion of your Bolide? Or did you just want her companionship???

I feel you are letting your sister's opinion weigh too heavily. Only you can let her opinion count that much.

I feel you are letting your sister control you. She can't do this unless you give her permission.

Your Bolide sounds lovely:tup:.....please, do post pics of it....pink has always been my very favorite shade:yes:

Neeya -

Although I know relatively little about H bags (beyond the basics), and I am pretty fervently an LV guy (both because I can't really ever afford H and I just like LV for men better), but here is my thought:

So many people are going to tell you, over time, that spending $$$ on a classic bag, or any bag at all, is silly, stupid, a waste...when you could be building up a huge wardrobe or getting things that are in now. I have had this problem before, mainly because I save and spend all of my money on bags, shoes, wallets...and rarely spend much on my clothing.

I just bought a s/s07 LV show bag, that I LOVE, that was pretty expensive...and now the only thing I can think about is more LV, more leather, more good smells and craftsmanship. I say, you are going to be remembered for that gorgeous, (essentially) one of a kind bag that no one else (in your general vicinity) has. I think that is much preferable to buying a bunch of *crap* from Forever 21 or in my case, Club Monaco.

I don't know if this helps you, but lets just say...my next $2000 will be on a wallet (LV) and an agenda (H)...which to most my age is absolute ludacris. AND I LOVE IT!

ps - i apologize for being long-winded. these things happen...;)