Perfume Chat Thread

How are you enjoying L'Heure Bleue? I read its description elsewhere and it sounds like a very interesting fragrance, I'm very curious about it. Did you get a vintage bottle? Do you know how it compares with the EDT version? The EDP version is sold out at Gerlain.
@Chanbal, I have a more current (about 5 to 7 year old) L'Heure Bleue EDT and EDP. They're probably pretty close to the currently available formula. I haven't done a side by side comparison recently, but the EDT is more powdery and the notes are a little easier to identify. The EDP is richer and dense.

I also have vintage extrait, EDT and EDC (small quantities). I am still learning about L'Heure Bleue, so I am not sure I could give a very good description at this point. It has a certain atmosphere, is complex and layered, and I need to wear it more, understand it better. The vintage extrait is soft and close to the skin. It is a complex scent, a little nostalgic, with the heliotrope; the purple florals. I have to be in a certain mood to want to wear it.

@pquiles, I never test new perfumes at bedtime because some of the samples may not be to my liking, and they can be really persistent even if washed off, and linger for a while and lead to difficulty sleeping for me. Hence I prefer testing earlier in the day when there is enough time for it to fade away if it needs to be washed off.

@Chanbal, I have a more current (about 5 to 7 year old) L'Heure Bleue EDT and EDP. They're probably pretty close to the currently available formula. I haven't done a side by side comparison recently, but the EDT is more powdery and the notes are a little easier to identify. The EDP is richer and dense.

I also have vintage extrait, EDT and EDC (small quantities). I am still learning about L'Heure Bleue, so I am not sure I could give a very good description at this point. It has a certain atmosphere, is complex and layered, and I need to wear it more, understand it better. The vintage extrait is soft and close to the skin. It is a complex scent, a little nostalgic, with the heliotrope; the purple florals. I have to be in a certain mood to want to wear it.

@pquiles, I never test new perfumes at bedtime because some of the samples may not be to my liking, and they can be really persistent even if washed off, and linger for a while and lead to difficulty sleeping for me. Hence I prefer testing earlier in the day when there is enough time for it to fade away if it needs to be washed off.

Thanks @Purses & Perfumes, your posts are very informative. I'm always curious about perfumes, jewelry, clothing… from the early 1900s, and L'Heure Bleue fits the bill. I wish Guerlain had a discovery set for the Les Legendaires collection, I'm also curious about Champs-Elysées. I believe this one was reformulated after its creation in 1904, but the description is still very interesting.

I also can't test perfumes at night. I recall to have to sleep with one arm hanging over the bed because I couldn't remove an irritating smell from it. I learned my lesson, and only test perfumes several hours before bedtime.

• Insightful
Reactions: JenJBS
@Tasha1, the first picture is the older packaging. The inner brown "harvest" cardboard boxes were used by Guerlain for other parfums like Mitsouko too. The outer packaging (the gold and black box) usually helps when trying to date the fragrances. The gold and black box pictured was used from roughly about the mid-80s up to the end of the 1990s, if I recall correctly. Prior to the gold and black box, the outer packaging consisted of black and white zigzag wavy boxes. There is a blogpost/article about dating Guerlain bottles which goes into details which helps narrow down the exact production year based on the printed code on the box.

Your box and bottle is the current version. I have the same packaging for my current Vol de Nuit bottle of extrait that I bought last year.
Thanks @Purses & Perfumes, your posts are very informative. I'm always curious about perfumes, jewelry, clothing… from the early 1900s, and L'Heure Bleue fits the bill. I wish Guerlain had a discovery set for the Les Legendaires collection, I'm also curious about Champs-Elysées.
Thank you! I don't think there is a discovery set for the Les Legendaires collection, at least not that I am aware of. Samples can be ordered from the decant places of course. I have a bottle of older Champs-Elysees -- I think it came out some time in the 1990s. It's a pretty floral with mimosa, very nice for spring. I haven't worn it in ages though. Must wear it soon.

Last edited:
Thank you! I don't think there is a discovery set for the Les Legendaires collection, at least not that I am aware of. Samples can be ordered from the decant places of course. I have a bottle of older Champs-Elysees -- I think it came out some time in the 1990s. It's a pretty floral with mimosa, very nice for spring. I haven't worn it in ages though. Must wear it soon.
Guerlain doesn't seem to have discovery sets, so I'll have to order Champs-Elysees from a decant place. Have you seen the 2022 limited edition bottles? They are exquisite, I can't wait to see them IRL…:love: .
1649560977431.png1649560462031.png1649561824320.png

I've decided to give another try to Creed, and got a sample set. I've not been lucky with Creed fragrances. A while back, DH offered me Aventus For Her and it gives me headaches…

1649559996826.png

Guerlain doesn't seem to have discovery sets, so I'll have to order Champs-Elysees from a decant place. Have you seen the 2022 limited edition bottles? They are exquisite, I can't wait to see them IRL…:love: .
View attachment 5376522View attachment 5376521View attachment 5376530

I've decided to give another try to Creed, and got a sample set. I've not been lucky with Creed fragrances. A while back, DH offered me Aventus For Her and it gives me headaches…

View attachment 5376520
There is an Aventus for her????

@Tasha1, I have an older disc bottle of LHB EDC. I also have some vintage extrait but it has not aged as well as the older disc bottle, IDK.

Guerlain has worked hard to re engineer it’s modern renditions of extrait; I think Boisetjasmine and other blogs reviewed them

I have,

I love juice but not a flacon, but some people collect flacons.
Did you have a chance to test the fragrances from the 2022 limited editions? If yes, how did you enjoy them? While the juice is also the most important for me, a beautiful bottle makes it dangerously irresistible imo. :lol:

There is an Aventus for her????

@Tasha1, I have an older disc bottle of LHB EDC. I also have some vintage extrait but it has not aged as well as the older disc bottle, IDK.

Guerlain has worked hard to re engineer it’s modern renditions of extrait; I think Boisetjasmine and other blogs reviewed them
Yes, there is. It is not as good as the original Aventus imo, which I like a lot.
1649605531586.png

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 880
View attachment 5376522View attachment 5376521View attachment 5376530

View attachment 5376520
I haven't seen the 2022 limited edition Guerlain bottles, but they look beautiful. I'm a sucker for a pretty bottle (although the fragrance inside has to be appealing too).
Good luck with the Creed sample set. I have a sample of Aventus for Her, I believe...somewhere. I need to organize my samples; it has gotten very disorganized.

• Thanks
Reactions: Chanbal
Any feedback on Aerin Rose de Grasse?View attachment 5376772
I have sampled Aerin Rose de Grasse, although it was some years ago, so I don't know if my feelings about it will be the same if I try it now. Anyway, my recollection is that it was a very beautiful rose soliflore. Not powdery, not soapy, not sweet, just a truly lovely, gorgeous rose.
I must try to see if I can find a sample. I remember being tempted to buy a bottle.

I have sampled Aerin Rose de Grasse, although it was some years ago, so I don't know if my feelings about it will be the same if I try it now. Anyway, my recollection is that it was a very beautiful rose soliflore. Not powdery, not soapy, not sweet, just a truly lovely, gorgeous rose.
I must try to see if I can find a sample. I remember being tempted to buy a bottle.
Thank you for the review. :flowers:
It sounds like a lovely summer fragrance.

Thank you for the review. :flowers:
It sounds like a lovely summer fragrance.
@limom I came across Aerin Rose de Grasse during my impossible search for a favorite rose fragrance, but I didn't try this one yet. However, it has excellent reviews at the Nordstrom site. If you decide to get a bottle, let us know what you think about it.

@Purses & Perfumes I saw your Vintage Diorissimo perfume on the other thread. Oh gosh, those bottles brought back many memories and a smile to my face. Thanks!

Reactions: Purses & Perfumes