Travel PARIS tips - questions - advice!

Will also add Pho Bom ( a healthy walk from Jardin du Luxembourg ) has some of the best Vietnamese food I have ever had and I have a fondness for Bachir - amazing amazing Lebanese ice cream wrapped in pistachio. Also for a quick bite by Galerie Lafayette Miam Miam Cool has exceptional dumplings / noodles- think about them often :smile:

Also Carrefour carries the best selection of the line of chips Bret’s- puts Lays to shame ( although the Paysanne Lays are very very good )… also Michel and Augustin Cheese crackers are pure butter- very good too can be found at most Franprix / Monop / Carrefour.

If you want a really really special experience I would encourage you to look into Le Doyenne. Went with my partner and the whole experience was so magical- and some of the best breakfast I have ever had.
Oh, thank you for your generous recommendations. I love food and only go to countries or places where there are good ones. :lol: (Wouldn’t name names but I don’t go to a neighbouring country for this reason).
I have already bookmarked these Paris recommendations! Calamato looks especially good.

@880 I laugh at your comment about reservations because it’s us too :lol: But if we’re really keen on a restaurant, we’re willing to wait at the door at opening hour and get the first seating. Beat the rush, too! We’re nothing but dedicated to eating.:lol:

Oh, thank you for your generous recommendations. I love food and only go to countries or places where there are good ones. :lol: (Wouldn’t name names but I don’t go to a neighbouring country for this reason).
I have already bookmarked these Paris recommendations! Calamato looks especially good.

@880 I laugh at your comment about reservations because it’s us too :lol: But if we’re really keen on a restaurant, we’re willing to wait at the door at opening hour and get the first seating. Beat the rush, too! We’re nothing but dedicated to eating.:lol:
I totally feel the same way about reservations for dinner but less so for lunch. We typically went to Clamato for lunch and never had a problem getting in.

Wonderful & informative books on Suzanne Belperron which are chock full of her "jewels"
Suzanne Belperron.. by Sylvie Raulet (2011) & Jewlery by Suzanne Belperron: My Style is My Signature
by Patricia Corbett & Ward Landrigan (2016)
Primavera here in NYC may also have a collection of Belperron & Boivin
thank you! I have My Style is My Signature, and it’s one of my favorite jewelry books ever :biggrin:

im now hungry for raw bar

Thank you to everyone for contributing to this thread and for all of the fun recommendations! Heading back to Paris in a couple of weeks and can’t wait to check out some of these places :smile: for those who recommended clamato - any tips for getting in or a reservation? Seemed like septime’s reservation system was impossible!

Also curious if any of you may have tried Granite and have any thoughts?

Last edited:
Thank you to everyone for contributing to this thread and for all of the fun recommendations! Heading back to Paris in a couple of weeks and can’t wait to check out some of these places :smile: for those who recommended clamato - any tips for getting in or a reservation? Seemed like septime’s reservation system was impossible!

Also curious if any of you may have tried Granite and have any thoughts?
Septime used to be as difficult as an Hermes lottery appt; I don’t know if it still is. Perhaps ask your concierge before you go. . .we have our concierge start to think about reservations when we book our accommodations, but we stay in the same hotel, so it’s easy. For Clamato, I believe @tinkerbell68 #4825 post that lunch is easier, and @Helventara wrote they simply go early.

I don't have the time to read through this entire thread but if no one has said it yet, Paris has the best Japanese food in Europe, probably because of the number of Japanese immigrants in the city.

Restaurants I highly recommend:

Kunitoraya: no reservation, you fall in line. best katsudon and katsu curry. get a mochi for dessert
Charbon Kunitoraya: omakase yakitori place owned by Kunitoraya. been awarded 1 Michelin black knife-and-fork. reservation req.
Sushi Shunei: 10-seater, Michelin-starred restaurant. if you have seen Jiro Dreams of Sushi, it's the same concept. omakase sushi
Ogata: decent lunch but what's best is the tea after the meal. you will be lead to a cellar, choose tea and sweets
Les Enfants Rouges: actually a French bistro but owned and operated by Japanese people, so French dishes made the Japanese way
Zen: great sashimi, delicious cold soba with tempura. super friendly staff

Cafe:

Toraya: this is a Japanese sweets company that's been in operation since the 1600's. have a proper matcha and pair with a dorayaki. if you can't get a table, just buy their sweets and enjoy it at home/hotel

Septime used to be as difficult as an Hermes lottery appt; I don’t know if it still is. Perhaps ask your concierge before you go. . .we have our concierge start to think about reservations when we book our accommodations, but we stay in the same hotel, so it’s easy. For Clamato, I believe @tinkerbell68 #4825 post that lunch is easier, and @Helventara wrote they simply go early.
We were never able to get a reservation at Septime @thebirkinqueen (though we didn't try that hard as we prefer to go out for lunch and make dinner in our apartment), but as @880 noted, we went to Clamato multiple times for lunch and never had a problem getting in. Once there were no tables available and we had to sit at the bar but we always got to enjoy their incredible food.
Have an amazing trip to Paris...the holidays are such a lovely time of year to be there!

We were never able to get a reservation at Septime @thebirkinqueen (though we didn't try that hard as we prefer to go out for lunch and make dinner in our apartment), but as @880 noted, we went to Clamato multiple times for lunch and never had a problem getting in. Once there were no tables available and we had to sit at the bar but we always got to enjoy their incredible food.
Have an amazing trip to Paris...the holidays are such a lovely time of year to be there!
Thank you @tinkerbell68 and @880! you are both so helpful as always! ❤️

I am going to Paris in 2 weeks and my 17 year old daughter has asked if she can walk around and shop by herself. I have been to Paris many times but honestly don't know how I feel about her out there alone on the streets. I feel safe, but I am an "old lady" compared to her. Would love to hear thoughts on this subject. My inclination is to just say no, better safe than sorry.

I am going to Paris in 2 weeks and my 17 year old daughter has asked if she can walk around and shop by herself. I have been to Paris many times but honestly don't know how I feel about her out there alone on the streets. I feel safe, but I am an "old lady" compared to her. Would love to hear thoughts on this subject. My inclination is to just say no, better safe than sorry.
Probably depends on the maturity and experience of your 17 year old? For example, if she routinely does so in a home city, I might be more inclined? You could compromise and set aside a time where you could hang out at a nearby cafe in an area you noth enjoy, and she could check back periodically?