Travel PARIS tips - questions - advice!

What I liked about Saint German was that it felt like a village, that's where I had my flat this summer and I would see a lot of the same people every day, etc. It's also pretty without being too dull, I think it's a good mix of quiet and things to do

Where is your hotel and which airport are you referring to? I usually take either the Air France shuttle ('Les Cars') which is available to all passengers (not just Air France ones). There are several routes, which will take you to Monparnasse, Invalides, Arc de Triomphe etc. The buses are comfortable, go from Orly and CdG and cost around 11-15 EUR one-way. It's convenient for me because I live near the Arc De Triomphe stop, but if you're in the Marais or St. Germain for instance, you'd still need to take a metro. I also take regular cabs a lot if I'm lazy.

Otherwise there's still the RER train from CdG, which I avoid taking (too much hassle with bags, too many pickpockets, too crowded).

Just FYI......

In the January 2011 issue of Towne & Country there's a nice article about Paris........

"The Sweet Life....Pastry Tour of Paris"

Page 110

I thought some of you might be interested in reading this article....

thanks slky ! i forgot to mention that we will be staying in the 8th arrondisement and will be from CDG airport.

my concern about taxis is the high cost if it hits traffic so was wondering if shuttle is a better option. but looking at reviews online, most mention taxi is still the best tho may save a little with shuttle.

thanks slky ! i forgot to mention that we will be staying in the 8th arrondisement and will be from CDG airport.

my concern about taxis is the high cost if it hits traffic so was wondering if shuttle is a better option. but looking at reviews online, most mention taxi is still the best tho may save a little with shuttle.

I've taken a taxi from CDG to the 8eme before and it cost around 60 Euros, as I recall.

There is a shuttle which I have taken before. If you book online it's 19 Euros per person. You have to call them when you arrive from the airport. They give you a toll-free number, use the pay phones to call.

http://www.airport-paris-transfer.com/

I haven't had a problem with the train. If you take it, it takes you to Gare du Nord. It's about 10 Euros to the 8 eme from there, or you can take the metro. If you are staying near the Opera/Gare St Lazare, it is one stop (you take it from Magenta, which is linked with Gare du Nord, and your stop is St. Lazare.) One thing about the train is that if you don't have enough Euro coins or do not want to use your credit card for the machines, the wait can be very long to buy tickets. The tickets are under 10 Euros, I don't remember the exact cost.

There are other options too, but those are the ones I have used.

If you have a certain amount of luggage I would not recommend RER to go to the airport IME it's very cumbersome and I even had a "racist" comment once when I asked the personnel for help to open one of the bigger gates because I couldn't easily get through the normal tiny ones. ALso I've been subject to more or less important delays due to suicides, strikes and all kinds of things that might happen in paris metro system. It's not as uncommon as you might think. =-P

With taxi and bus you'll have to worry about traffic jams, but that's it. I think the bus is the best option IMO especially if you too much luggage for the metro.

I live in the 8th (about 7 mins walk from Arc de Triomphe) and my cab fair from CDG is around 45-50 EUR one-way including luggage charge (there's a charge of about 1 EUR each per bag, though some cab drivers seem to make it up as they go along).

The Air France bus costs 15 EUR one-way and 24 EUR roundtrip, so you'd definitely be saving a bit of money (if you have kids above 2 yrs old, there's a reduced children's fare of course). If you're in a group of 3 adults or more, I'd probably say go for a cab as that will be cheaper. Otherwise I'd definitely go for the bus option if you're in the 8th. Regardless of where in the district you are, you'll only need to take 1-2 metro stops or you'd walk a max of 15 mins.

Taking the train, you'd still need to get to the 8th from Gare du Nord, which means you'd probably take another two metro lines. Not worth the hassle really. My issue isn't really the trains themselves, but the transit between stations is a pain with luggage (stairs, long walks, no lifts).

Hi everyone,

I am taking a trip to paris as i have the next month off work. :yahoo: I've always wanted to go to the city of love, so needless to say i'm ecstatic about the experience. In addition to some shopping (of course), i would like to eat at a few great places, and see some attractions. This is where i need help. Does anyone know of any fun things to do while there? Oh, i'm staying at Grand Hotel Du Palais Royal 4 Rue De Valois, 01. Louvre - Châtelet, 75001 Paris. Its not too far from Champs Elysee, and practically next to the Louvre and Jardins des Tuilleries...so if there are any other neat attractions near this area that would be perfect.

Also I heard about a place to get an instant VAT refund that is located on CE. Does anyone know where this is located? I have been collecting my receipts and I would get back about 400 euro from various purchases made already. (can you say another pair of shoes, lol)...

anyway, TIA for any comments!!

I assume you've done research in books or online, so just a few comments:

As a rule, dine where there's lots of people.

Be extremely alert at the Louvre Metro stop, including in the Metro itself, which is a major place for pickpockets.

No need to stay in one spot near your hotel. Get around on the Metro system, it's not complicated. Go see Notre Dame and its amazing rose windows. You might wander in to hear a choir rehearsing. :smile:

Museum wise, the major guidebooks are accurate. If you like Impressionism and post-Impressionism don't miss Musee D'Orsay. If you like modern and avant garde don't miss the Pompidou Center, which has a bonus of having an amazing city view at the top floor.

Be a building watcher: Enjoy the incredible Art Nouveau facades and ironwork.

Get some bread and cheese (and meat if you like) in the little shops and make a meal outdoors, weather permitting.

Enjoy!

I love the first arrondissement!
But as jellyv says you dont have to stay there the whole time. The metro system is very easy. BTW make sure you buy YOUR tickets at the machine. Dont let anybody else buy them for you. The number of people that try to trick tourists by buying them 30 euros metro tickets and keeping the 28 euros lol.

I assume you've done research in books or online, so just a few comments:

As a rule, dine where there's lots of people.

Be extremely alert at the Louvre Metro stop, including in the Metro itself, which is a major place for pickpockets.

No need to stay in one spot near your hotel. Get around on the Metro system, it's not complicated. Go see Notre Dame and its amazing rose windows. You might wander in to hear a choir rehearsing. :smile:

Museum wise, the major guidebooks are accurate. If you like Impressionism and post-Impressionism don't miss Musee D'Orsay. If you like modern and avant garde don't miss the Pompidou Center, which has a bonus of having an amazing city view at the top floor.

Be a building watcher: Enjoy the incredible Art Nouveau facades and ironwork.

Get some bread and cheese (and meat if you like) in the little shops and make a meal outdoors, weather permitting.

Enjoy!

thank you for the wonderful advise. I'll be sure to add those to the list of places to see...:biggrin:

I love the first arrondissement!
But as jellyv says you dont have to stay there the whole time. The metro system is very easy. BTW make sure you buy YOUR tickets at the machine. Dont let anybody else buy them for you. The number of people that try to trick tourists by buying them 30 euros metro tickets and keeping the 28 euros lol.

lol, i'll be sure to make sure i get my own metro ticket. I was a bit apprehensive about taking the metro during this time of the year, but i guess it'll be a lot cheaper than taking a taxi during the rush hours. I'm about to find some info on using the train over there, now...thanks!!