Travel PARIS tips - questions - advice!

It also depends on where in the city she’ll be wandering and how comfortable she is speaking the language. As is often the case with larger cities, some areas are, well, more sketchy than others, and I would feel more comfortable were I able to understand everything being said to/around me.

I presume you both have smartphones so a periodic check in might be an additional way to manage anxiety.

In any event, it doesn’t sound like she’s a wide-eyed naif who won’t have her wits about her. I hope you both have a fabulous trip! :flowers:

I am going to Paris in 2 weeks and my 17 year old daughter has asked if she can walk around and shop by herself. I have been to Paris many times but honestly don't know how I feel about her out there alone on the streets. I feel safe, but I am an "old lady" compared to her. Would love to hear thoughts on this subject. My inclination is to just say no, better safe than sorry.
What fun! A few years ago, my then 20 something daughter wandered around Paris with a girlfriend at night. I was okay with it because she lives in a big city (NYC/Brooklyn) and, more importantly, she had her phone and allowed my to track her location on it.
I like @880 idea about having a base of operations at a local cafe and letting her wander, with phone in hand (it would be anyway, right?)
And, of course, as @textilegirl points out, if she can speak French that makes things much simpler and safer.
Have a fabulous trip!

I am going to Paris in 2 weeks and my 17 year old daughter has asked if she can walk around and shop by herself. I have been to Paris many times but honestly don't know how I feel about her out there alone on the streets. I feel safe, but I am an "old lady" compared to her. Would love to hear thoughts on this subject. My inclination is to just say no, better safe than sorry.
I allowed my 15 year old son to wander around the food shops in the 6th for an hour or so last July, but he is tall and looks older than he is. And wanted to practice his French without me taking over :biggrin: I wouldn’t have let him use the métro alone I don’ t think (although he uses public transport at home), and we had a clear agreement about where he could go. Plus we use Life360.

The only other caution I would have is for her to be aware of pickpockets in known risk areas; she may be a more obvious target as a young solo tourist. But she sounds sensible! That sort of experience can be so valuable for our kids to develop independence, autonomy etc.

Wow, such great advice, thank you all. We live in LA, so not a lot of walking around, but lots of life360 use when she is driving. But she does speak (high school) French and she is used to me giving her to the "watch out for this and that" warnings in big cities. And we're staying in the 6th, so it's a very good area. Again, thank you all so much for the comments.

• Love
Reactions: textilegirl and 880
Can anyone recommend a clean 4 star hotel in a safe neighborhood? This will be my first time in Paris and am currenly browsing at hotels and read a lot of horror stories like loss, sketchy neighborhood, bedbugs, dirty linens. Thanks a lot

Last edited:
Can anyone recommend a clean 4 star hotel in a safe neighborhood? This will be my first time in Paris and am currenly browsing at hotels and read a lot of horror stories like loss, sketchy neighborhood, bedbugs, dirty lines. Thanks a lot
Hotel Royal Madeleine or Hotel Monsieur. Both near Place Madeleine and FSH.

Can anyone recommend a clean 4 star hotel in a safe neighborhood? This will be my first time in Paris and am currenly browsing at hotels and read a lot of horror stories like loss, sketchy neighborhood, bedbugs, dirty linens. Thanks a lot
I was just in Paris less than 2 weeks ago for the 10th time, 3rd in the last 12 months. I've stayed at Le Walt Hotel many times. It's lovely and clean and 5-10 minute walk from the Eiffel Tower and has a Metro stop in front of the hotel. And the bedbug story was fake news started on TikTok. SMH

Reactions: mmvv22 and limom