Overheard Hermès

Mine does, with the counting machine often heard whirring behind the check out desk, but likely only up to a limit of $10,000 since cash transactions above this amount must be reported.
I think my local one does as well. The legal issue being money laundering. (If someone knows better, please feel free to correct :smile:

ETA: however, I did hear someone at Chanel arranging for a bank wire. And I believe Dior does this too. So, perhaps Hermes does as well?

This was several months ago at Madison... I was on the 4th floor enjoying a cappuccino and noticed a mom with her 2 daughters, who looked to be around 12-13 yo and maybe 8-9 yo. They were working with a SA and I heard the mom say to the older daughter as the SA walked away, "ok honey, do you understand what she said? We can't get a Birkin today." I'm not sure if the Birkin was for mom or daughter!!
I guess she was self soothing by telling her daughter that, haha. Sounds like she was still processing the rejection.

Overheard: a young couple (presumably tourists) looking around, chatting with an sa. Suddenly the husband says ‘Her birthday is coming up…’ ( incoherent mumbling, probably asking for a bag). It’s likely a valid reason, but in reality sounds really cliche, haha. Sa didn’t reply to that comment, probably heard it a 100 times before.

Overheard#2: cashier to customer holding a beautiful green kelly sellier w ghw (?vert jade), who was having her b25 croc packed up: ‘total is $74560’ in the most nonchalant voice.
Customer: i would like to split the payment with 2 credit cards. Cashier:ok
This all happened in the most normal way ever… like buying vegetables at the market

I guess she was self soothing by telling her daughter that, haha. Sounds like she was still processing the rejection.

Overheard: a young couple (presumably tourists) looking around, chatting with an sa. Suddenly the husband says ‘Her birthday is coming up…’ ( incoherent mumbling, probably asking for a bag). It’s likely a valid reason, but in reality sounds really cliche, haha. Sa didn’t reply to that comment, probably heard it a 100 times before.

Overheard#2: cashier to customer holding a beautiful green kelly sellier w ghw (?vert jade), who was having her b25 croc packed up: ‘total is $74560’ in the most nonchalant voice.
This all happened in the most normal way ever… like buying vegetables at the market
I always wondered that, if you can afford a $75k bag why would you have to split the purchase between cards?

Ha! I was at H last year and a lady paid for a quota bag in cash also. It was a lot of work and it appeared it was only a quota bag and some other item. All I know it’s it took for ever and I recall the store saying they could only accept 10k cash 😱
They don’t “like” to get huge amount of cash, for both hassle of having to count and security reasons. Plus there is indeed extra paper work to fill out for over $10K cash payments. From the conversations overheard and told, managers seemed very concerned with these tax related paperwork/forms.

I’m in Paris and can’t sleep so here goes another long story.

I went to see my SA on agreed time. It was the season a variation of Kelly was released. There was a family with kids hanging out not far away. The mom of the family rushed over as soon as she saw how I was trying on this newly released bag.

She said something along the line of how nice it must be they are showing me such bag etc. She stood right there next to me and kept staring at the bag on the table… SA and I stopped chatting till she finally left us as it was a bit awkward.

Then I see the lady talking to another SA with frustrated voice. SA tried very hard to calm her down but couldn’t. Few minutes later, she came over to where I was again.

Lady: “Since she can’t help me, I wanted to see someone who can. Are you that person?”
SA: “Miss, I am with my client right now.”
Lady: “Can you help me or not?”
SA: “I am sorry but I am with my client. My colleague can assist you.”
Lady: “She said you are higher position than her. So you can help me when you are done?”

This conversation went on a bit more. We left the space soon after, which got the lady angrier. It was as if she wanted me to stay there to witness what I get.

Another SA explained to my SA (who is really senior position) how the lady came day before, bought shoes and right away asked for bags. This was many years ago, so they had plenty of styles on display and more in the back. But of course bags she wanted was a B/K.

I think it was her first visit and the family was on a vacation. I heard she was upset of no BK shown and demanded to see them.

“How can you tell me this type of store does not have any bags?” was her argument and would not leave, even though her very young kids looked so bored out their minds.

Eventually the SM was informed of the matter and went to speak to her.

Last edited:
My SA once told me they had a lady paying for something like $200k purchase all in cash. I just could not help wondering how she hand carried that kind of amount by herself.

SA said he was glad he was off that day as his colleagues spent a loooong time counting and making sure all is fine.
Think of all those credit card points she’s missing out on !!! Lolololol

(Being tongue in cheek for our more serious friends here)

I always wondered that, if you can afford a $75k bag why would you have to split the purchase between cards?
Perhaps she wanted collect both Loyalty Points and SkyMiles.:P

Think of all those credit card points she’s missing out on !!! Lolololol
That was actually second thing that crossed my mind after wondering about how she carried all those bills. LOL.

I do this sometimes for variety of reasons like those mentioned above - first card have spending already so available limit not enough anymore, to maximize points/mileage/rewards, to spread payment due dates, and of course to hide some amount from husband :lol:

The croc birkin was 75k or did she have a bunch of other things?!

Reactions: iseebearbears