Overheard Hermès

In most US stores the most important relationship is at the SA level. Loyalty to and good vibes with an SA will likely lead to faster quota bag offers than bouncing around stores in the same country and even SAs in the same store. Obviously there’s exceptions to every rule, but SAs are only allotted so many bags and are going to give them to their favorite customers. I do think there’s probably some level of appreciation and consideration for long term store clients who lose their SA through no fault of their own, but again those are exceptions.
Oh thank you for your thorough explanation!

Reactions: Crapples
Memory from Venice store several years ago. We did not feel so welcomed as we stepped in but eh, this sadly does happen a lot in touristy cities. We started browsing but could not miss overhearing whatever was being said in the store due to very limited square footage of the ground floor.

A middle aged couple walks in and asks for “bags.” And as we can guess, answer is no.

Lady: “But you said come back.”
SA: “I’m sorry but we didn’t get any.”
Lady: “I came everyday. You must have them.”
SA: “We don’t have any.”
Lady: “Your mouth says no but your eyes says yes!”

The lady looked upset and sad. In fact so sad, I felt bad for her but of course SA, who must deal with this everyday just looked very tired.

The couple left. We started to browse the scarves. There was already another guy in his 20s standing front of cashmere shawls.

Guy: “How much is this?”
SA replies. Guy seems surprised? Understandable I guess. That was my first reaction when I found out the price of shawls in my 20s.
Guy: “How much is this?” Pointing to the one next to it. Of course, same price.

He asked prices of other scarves few more times and seemed to be comparing the designs for a minute. Then he turns and asks..

Guy: “Can you show me ones on sale?”
SA didn’t say anything for a few second and said they have none.
Guy: “When can I buy them on sale?”

After the guy left, we bought few things. SA seemed so glad! Lol. She even showed us bags when we didn’t even mention anything about them.

I was in the store the other day waiting to pay and watched a woman pay a $20,000 bill with cash. I’ve never seen so much cash in my life. She walked out with one big box so it must have been something spectacular!
My SA once told me they had a lady paying for something like $200k purchase all in cash. I just could not help wondering how she hand carried that kind of amount by herself.

SA said he was glad he was off that day as his colleagues spent a loooong time counting and making sure all is fine.
My boutique no longer accepts cash as a form of payment. I think they put this policy into effect a while ago, but I think this is probably the reason why.

My boutique no longer accepts cash as a form of payment. I think they put this policy into effect a while ago, but I think this is probably the reason why.
Mine does, with the counting machine often heard whirring behind the check out desk, but likely only up to a limit of $10,000 since cash transactions above this amount must be reported.

I think they have machines for counting now. But yeah, I imagine they needed several SAs to double check that!
Not sure all stores share the policy but that store I mentioned had to use a specific POS for cash payment. I think they had better security camera and etc. I think they also had a machine but still needed to be hand counted as well. And when it’s over certain amount (something not very high in H world like $3000) a second SA had to stand and double count.
Interesting fact to hear. Especially since my pet peeve about Hermes is how I actually need to go stand front of POS and pay. I mean at other places I usually go, they don’t even have machines visible to the customers and you just hand over your cards. In those stores, it would be extra burdensome to take cash to the back and bring back the change.

Keeping on topic..

A SA and I were chatting about Korean celebrities and he mentioned of a very popular actress well known through Asia. (also made H very hot brand in Korea with things she wore on a TV show several years ago)

He said the first thing she asked him on her last visit was “Do you have a Birkin?”

My SA once told me they had a lady paying for something like $200k purchase all in cash. I just could not help wondering how she hand carried that kind of amount by herself.

SA said he was glad he was off that day as his colleagues spent a loooong time counting and making sure all is fine.
Ha! I was at H last year and a lady paid for a quota bag in cash also. It was a lot of work and it appeared it was only a quota bag and some other item. All I know it’s it took for ever and I recall the store saying they could only accept 10k cash 😱

This was several months ago at Madison... I was on the 4th floor enjoying a cappuccino and noticed a mom with her 2 daughters, who looked to be around 12-13 yo and maybe 8-9 yo. They were working with a SA and I heard the mom say to the older daughter as the SA walked away, "ok honey, do you understand what she said? We can't get a Birkin today." I'm not sure if the Birkin was for mom or daughter!!