Overheard Hermès

If l were an outsider unaware of the scarcity marketing strategy of Hermes, these overheard conversations with regards to availability of stock are really ludicrous! (But entertaining for us in the know, smug wink)
This was me when I first started shopping H about a decade ago! If this thread had existed back then, I’m confident some seasoned H shopper in the know would have been positing about me.

This was me when I first started shopping H about a decade ago! If this thread had existed back then, I’m confident some seasoned H shopper in the know would have been positing about me.
Haha, same here. I remember venturing into the H boutiques years ago when I was very young and naive.
I was very timid and stayed around the silk section because, after all, it was at the front of the store and that's as far as I had the courage to walk b/c I thought everything else was unattainable/unaffordable. I was scared to ask for help or take it seriously, as I had been only ordering online here and there. Luckily I kept my mouth shut or I would probably be a recurring subject of one of these 'Overheard' posts--LOL.

My, my, my---had I only known that it was ok to look at bags and RTW and jewelry (and looking back, that I could actually afford it) & that I was supposed to start a relationship in store, I would be much further and might have a few more QBs!! :giggle:

Haha, same here. I remember venturing into the H boutiques years ago when I was very young and naive.
I was very timid and stayed around the silk section because, after all, it was at the front of the store and that's as far as I had the courage to walk b/c I thought everything else was unattainable/unaffordable. I was scared to ask for help or take it seriously, as I had been only ordering online here and there. Luckily I kept my mouth shut or I would probably be a recurring subject of one of these 'Overheard' posts--LOL.

My, my, my---had I only known that it was ok to look at bags and RTW and jewelry (and looking back, that I could actually afford it) & that I was supposed to start a relationship in store, I would be much further and might have a few more QBs!! :giggle:
Well YEARS ago it wasn’t like it is now. Years ago there were bags on display.. and for sale.

Man comes in and ask if he could buy some make up for his girlfriend. Picking up some nailpolish. And then hear him say: "You're kidding me right? How much for just some nailpolish?" Rolls his eyes and walks to the counter to pay. Stops to look at a shawl for men and says. "This is nice. I would like that one too. (A grand jacquard). SA: ask him if he would like anything else. He peeks at the shoes section...

I went on with my SA to a higher level but certainly 30 minutes later when I was ready to pay, the guy was still shopping.... for himself :biggrin:

Man comes in and ask if he could buy some make up for his girlfriend. Picking up some nailpolish. And then hear him say: "You're kidding me right? How much for just some nailpolish?" Rolls his eyes and walks to the counter to pay. Stops to look at a shawl for men and says. "This is nice. I would like that one too. (A grand jacquard). SA: ask him if he would like anything else. He peeks at the shoes section...

I went on with my SA to a higher level but certainly 30 minutes later when I was ready to pay, the guy was still shopping.... for himself :biggrin:
Oh no, he's hooked!!! :lol:

Ahhh... don't we all love the slippery slope of H! 😂

couldn’t make out what started the convo but…

SA: you’ll need to build a relationship over time.

Shopper: I’ve built a relationship. My first Birkin was a gold 25. That’s a good starter bag right?

SA: what a wonder classic.

Shopper: I also got a Kelly 28. I want my next bag to be special.

SA: Have you considered an exotic skin like alligator?

Shopper: I would love one but that’s not in my budget. What bags do you have now.

SA: yes it’s important to develop a relationship over time.

On the one hand, I loved the transparency but at the same time I thought this was such an off conversation for what seemed to be a very first time meeting.

couldn’t make out what started the convo but…

SA: you’ll need to build a relationship over time.

Shopper: I’ve built a relationship. My first Birkin was a gold 25. That’s a good starter bag right?

SA: what a wonder classic.

Shopper: I also got a Kelly 28. I want my next bag to be special.

SA: Have you considered an exotic skin like alligator?

Shopper: I would love one but that’s not in my budget. What bags do you have now.

SA: yes it’s important to develop a relationship over time.

On the one hand, I loved the transparency but at the same time I thought this was such an off conversation for what seemed to be a very first time meeting.
Getting a birkin and Kelly aren't considered developing a relationship over time? Unless they were bought pre loved then I don't understand why they aren't considered building a relationship since they usually need decent pre-spend.

Getting a birkin and Kelly aren't considered developing a relationship over time? Unless they were bought pre loved then I don't understand why they aren't considered building a relationship since they usually need decent pre-spend.
No you’re exactly right. What was happening in my overheard situation was that a new (to that particular store or SA) client was basically demanding a QB and the SA was gently reminding them why they wouldn’t be getting one from him that day.

No you’re exactly right. What was happening in my overheard situation was that a new (to that particular store or SA) client was basically demanding a QB and the SA was gently reminding them why they wouldn’t be getting one from him that day.
Oh wow so prespend in a different store doesn't count?
I can see the confusion if the client didn't know, not that they should demand anything or be rude about it.

Oh wow so prespend in a different store doesn't count?
I can see the confusion if the client didn't know, not that they should demand anything or be rude about it.
In most US stores the most important relationship is at the SA level. Loyalty to and good vibes with an SA will likely lead to faster quota bag offers than bouncing around stores in the same country and even SAs in the same store. Obviously there’s exceptions to every rule, but SAs are only allotted so many bags and are going to give them to their favorite customers. I do think there’s probably some level of appreciation and consideration for long term store clients who lose their SA through no fault of their own, but again those are exceptions.