Opinions on Celine RTW?

OCMomof3

O.G.
Feb 26, 2013
What do RTW customers think? I tend to shy away from RTW from most brands because it looks “loud” to me. The exception is is shoes. I’ve now purchased a Celine bikini and (just recently) a t shirt with tiny gold embroidered script over the breast. My only RTW from any house. Opinions of quality, durability?

My outside impression of Celine RTW (I’ve looked at it, but not purchased) is that it is probably of excellent quality and design (hedi slimane) but that the styles are geared to a younger demographic, perhaps in their thirties. So I imagine the Celine icon as louche and youthful. . . Though a French brand, there seem to be significant American inspirations in its t shirts, trucker jackets, and jean jackets. Ans, some of the separates, like tops and gilets, lean universal European, as if inspired by Chanel or YSL or Gucci. My recollecti9n may be faulty, but I did think that Hedi Slimane did design beautiful clothing for dior homme, and he was also a protege of sorts of Karl Lagerfeld. But, I do think Celine’s designs seem to be derivative of the various archives of other design houses. I did read a review that said Celine is channeling a moody French teenager, and if one scoured vintage clothing, one could approximate the style. Which I think is accurate. The prices are extremely high. Extremely High.

I’m 55, and my RTW is mainly from chanel, Dior, Brunello, hermes. Decades ago, I wore Gucci, Dolce & Gabbana, and YSL (TOM Ford era). I can look at my closet and see some things that Celine has essentially brought back. If I were new to RTW today, I would want to take a look at the collections of various years to see what the iconic pieces of the house were. I would be curious anbout what percentage and type of items make it to sale. And, I would also check resale sites to see if Celine vintage has retained value. (while I don’t generally consign items, I prefer to buy from brands that retain value. I will also happily buy new condition RTW items from prior seasons when I happen upon them at resale). Would say to anyone dipping into RTW for the first time, to know the needs and gaps in their own wardrobe; know what the design house and designer stand for; and, only buy what you love that fits and flatters. If you’ve fallen in love with a t shirt, great. A jacket, great. And once you’ve determined what you love, spend the most on items that you know you will wear a lot.

Have fun shopping. I have always preferred shopping a boutique rather than Bergdorfs. But, if I were entirely new to RTW, it might be good to go to a department store (actually these days, Saks may be better than Bergdorfs, IDK) to compare apples to apples. if you do shop at the Celine boutique, I always advise newcomers to be exceedingly polite to the in house tailor. Bc that person will really determine whether the clothes look good on you or not.

ETA: I believe most premier designer swimwear is manufactured by Eres or the like (Hermes, Chanel are from Eres. I think). Not sure where Celine swimwear hails from, but it’s probably similar quality. With respect to durability, my RTW has in some cases, lasted decades. Aftercare is important as is an excellent dry cleaner. I prefer dior t shirts and dry clean them. I could hand wash, but I’m not the best at reblocking and laying flat to dry.

Last edited:
My outside impression of Celine RTW (I’ve looked at it, but not purchased) is that it is probably of excellent quality and design (hedi slimane) but that the styles are geared to a younger demographic, perhaps in their thirties. So I imagine the Celine icon as louche and youthful. . . Though a French brand, there seem to be significant American inspirations in its t shirts, trucker jackets, and jean jackets. Ans, some of the separates, like tops and gilets, lean universal European, as if inspired by Chanel or YSL or Gucci. My recollecti9n may be faulty, but I did think that Hedi Slimane did design beautiful clothing for dior homme, and he was also a protege of sorts of Karl Lagerfeld. But, I do think Celine’s designs seem to be derivative of the various archives of other design houses. I did read a review that said Celine is channeling a moody French teenager, and if one scoured vintage clothing, one could approximate the style. Which I think is accurate. The prices are extremely high. Extremely High.

I’m 55, and my RTW is mainly from chanel, Dior, Brunello, hermes. Decades ago, I wore Gucci, Dolce & Gabbana, and YSL (TOM Ford era). I can look at my closet and see some things that Celine has essentially brought back. If I were new to RTW today, I would want to take a look at the collections of various years to see what the iconic pieces of the house were. I would be curious anbout what percentage and type of items make it to sale. And, I would also check resale sites to see if Celine vintage has retained value. (while I don’t generally consign items, I prefer to buy from brands that retain value. I will also happily buy new condition RTW items from prior seasons when I happen upon them at resale). Would say to anyone dipping into RTW for the first time, to know the needs and gaps in their own wardrobe; know what the design house and designer stand for; and, only buy what you love that fits and flatters. If you’ve fallen in love with a t shirt, great. A jacket, great. And once you’ve determined what you love, spend the most on items that you know you will wear a lot.

Have fun shopping. I have always preferred shopping a boutique rather than Bergdorfs. But, if I were entirely new to RTW, it might be good to go to a department store (actually these days, Saks may be better than Bergdorfs, IDK) to compare apples to apples. if you do shop at the Celine boutique, I always advise newcomers to be exceedingly polite to the in house tailor. Bc that person will really determine whether the clothes look good on you or not.

ETA: I believe most premier designer swimwear is manufactured by Eres or the like (Hermes, Chanel are from Eres. I think). Not sure where Celine swimwear hails from, but it’s probably similar quality. With respect to durability, my RTW has in some cases, lasted decades. Aftercare is important as is an excellent dry cleaner. I prefer dior t shirts and dry clean them. I could hand wash, but I’m not the best at reblocking and laying flat to dry.
Thank you so much for this very comprehensive and thorough response. Lots to consider here.

Reactions: 880

Thank you for sharing your opinion on the subject. I've recently gotten into designer (and just generally high quality) RTW and this was quite insightful.

• Thanks
Reactions: OCMomof3 and 880
Thank you for sharing your opinion on the subject. I've recently gotten into designer (and just generally high quality) RTW and this was quite insightful
glad it helped @OCMomof3 and @IntheOcean. I’ve been tempted by Celine RTW, but I have not yet pulled the trigger mainly due to price points and, for me, cost per wear. But, I’m 55, and I think I’m generally outside the Celine target audience. . . :smile: I hope that you post some of your purchases or action shots. Would be very interested to see Celine on real people

ETA: Incidentally, if you track a designers trajectory, sometimes it’s possible to find great deals at resale. For example, MGC of dior is famous for her modernized Bar Jacket which is extremely expensive and hard to fit. But, she was previously at Valentino (maybe 2016 or 2017) and, post-Covid, I bought a NWT jacket and a fabulous denim dress at TRR for a tenth of the price. (You do need to know your measurements as sizes vary dramatically). When you hold them up side by side, there are clear similarities (and my Dior SA was very impressed lol). As I mentioned above, I think Heidi Slimane was at Dior mens when it was cut very slim (in fact I think some female TPFers bought dior Homme. I don’t know if HS had an eponymous line, but it cannot hurt to check. That is if you are open to vintage (unworn new older stock is known as deadstock). Of course every design house has its own unique spin, but I like to explore my options. :smile:

Last edited:
I’m always tempted by their RTW and it looks so pretty online. But whenever I go in to purchase, something always holds me back, and I think mainly it’s that I’m not impressed by the quality of their materials and tailoring IRL. I do have a couple of their baseball caps though and those are very nice.

Reactions: OCMomof3 and 880
I love Celine RTW. I have t shirts and a baseball cap, and I almost bought a jacket as well. FWIW, I did just turned 40 a couple months ago, so I completely understand the above sentiments that they tend to cater to younger demographic, like 30s. But despite now being outside that demographic, I still love Celine RTW and will continue to wear them. Until, I guess, when I change my personal style.

Reactions: OCMomof3
I completely agree with @880. I think the biggest strength of the new Celine is its mastery of bringing back retro and vintage Parisian designs. De Fursac for men has also achieved similar success (but at a much less expensive price level). While I really love the designs, I agree that the prices seem very expensive for designs that one could relatively easily find on second hand platforms and consignments. Essentially to me, Celine is bringing the best vintage designs and finds one could make at a Parisian consignment store and bringing them with a Celine spin through the form of clever and often times discreet logos.

In my opinion, I would much rather find the original, vintage pieces that have inspired Celine. For example, at the price of these jackets, I would much rather find a vintage Chanel tweed and then get it tailored perfectly to me. Despite this, I still think Celine makes beautiful pieces that marry very well with other timeless pieces. I recently bought a triomphe belt in brown and silver, which I find goes great with my Hermes bags and decade old Hermes rtw.

• Thanks
Reactions: 880
Sharing this quote from @MonsieurMode as I think it is relevant to this discussion.

Many "New Bottega" clients were former Old Celine clients. Daniel Lee, who worked under Phoebe at Celine, has been riding her coattails in her absence.

Phoebe Philo's namesake brand launches in September. I think it's going to majorly divert client spend away from brands who have been designing in her aesthetic (Proenza, Bottega, Khaite, The Row, and now Burberry).

Old Céline x Phoebe does incredible well on the resale market, and I think this speaks volumes. Current Celine's target audience is not the same as the old Céline clients (I'm thinking about the logo CELINE caps, sweatshirts, etc.). For those preferring the more simple, muted designs, I reckon they will definitely be drawn to PP's eponymous brand once it launches in September, which may impact Celine's sales.

I love Celine wool teddy jackets and sometimes wear men’s as well. However do you feel like some pieces are telaunched over and over? Like the denim jacket with beige cordoroy collar for example? Are the stocks new or are the “relaunch” items old stocks that they bring back to the shelves?

The prices are extremely high but do you also feel like its a hit or miss?

Reactions: layd3k