On Being "Bag Content"

I felt like I was getting out of control with my purse collection so on January 1st of this year, I told myself I will not buy any purse for the next 30 days. Then go one month at a time from there. My husband laughed when I said I am putting myself on PAA (Purse Addicts Anonymous). He said he will support me as long as I allow him to veto my decision if a purse is absolutely too good to pass up. I unsubscribed my email address from any store that sells purses and I uninstalled my TPF app on my phone. This is the first time since January 1st that I've logged back on to TPF. I was having serious withdrawals this morning. Well I was successful in January. Then came February and my husband bought me a Danielle Nicole Tinkerbell purse (I'm a big Disney fan). He said it doesn't violate my PAA status since he bought it for Valentines which I thought was very sweet considering we usually don't buy each other anything for Valentines/Birthdays/Christmas. We take a road trip and eat somewhere fancy. Then Macys had the Michael Kors All in One Mercer purse on sale (from $358 to around $150 with tax included because of the sale and my rewards coupon). My husband liked it so much he told me he is exercising his veto power. So I bought it. So far I haven't bought anything this month. I got 9 more months remaining this year. I don't know how I will survive those months, not to mention the twice a year big sale from Gucci. I love my husband but he sure sucks at being a sponsor....LOL!!! Anyhoo thanks for letting me share my story =)

I felt like I was getting out of control with my purse collection so on January 1st of this year, I told myself I will not buy any purse for the next 30 days. Then go one month at a time from there. My husband laughed when I said I am putting myself on PAA (Purse Addicts Anonymous). He said he will support me as long as I allow him to veto my decision if a purse is absolutely too good to pass up. I unsubscribed my email address from any store that sells purses and I uninstalled my TPF app on my phone. This is the first time since January 1st that I've logged back on to TPF. I was having serious withdrawals this morning. Well I was successful in January. Then came February and my husband bought me a Danielle Nicole Tinkerbell purse (I'm a big Disney fan). He said it doesn't violate my PAA status since he bought it for Valentines which I thought was very sweet considering we usually don't buy each other anything for Valentines/Birthdays/Christmas. We take a road trip and eat somewhere fancy. Then Macys had the Michael Kors All in One Mercer purse on sale (from $358 to around $150 with tax included because of the sale and my rewards coupon). My husband liked it so much he told me he is exercising his veto power. So I bought it. So far I haven't bought anything this month. I got 9 more months remaining this year. I don't know how I will survive those months, not to mention the twice a year big sale from Gucci. I love my husband but he sure sucks at being a sponsor....LOL!!! Anyhoo thanks for letting me share my story =)
Stay strong. Think of it this way, every week that goes by with purchasing a new handbag is a success. If you end up buying just a few a year (count on 1 hand) then you have the devil under your control. And your husband sounds like a gem.

Reactions: Scully Piper
All signs are pointing to being bag content. All the purchases that I've made have been disappointments. They've either been immediately returned or I've found a buyer so I don't have to be bothered with the return process. I currently have 3 bags that are definite returns and 2 that are pending a final decision. One pre-order I've canceled. I also have a list of bags to purge (just need to do it). The only bag I'm really feeling drawn to is the Alto Amalea (almost gave in and pre-ordered with the 20% but decided to wait).

All signs are pointing to being bag content. All the purchases that I've made have been disappointments. They've either been immediately returned or I've found a buyer so I don't have to be bothered with the return process. I currently have 3 bags that are definite returns and 2 that are pending a final decision. One pre-order I've canceled. I also have a list of bags to purge (just need to do it). The only bag I'm really feeling drawn to is the Alto Amalea (almost gave in and pre-ordered with the 20% but decided to wait).
Yet another reason to cool my jets on the bag purchases. Just got done with a "battle" online chat for three of my returns. One of them was a purchase on behalf of a friend. Customer service tried to tell me my items were final sale. First of all there was no communication or documentation disclosing the items were going to be final sale. And second I don't buy final sale items without seeing them or trying them on first. Annoyed! First thing when I get home that box is getting taped up to be shipped out in the morning.

Yet another reason to cool my jets on the bag purchases. Just got done with a "battle" online chat for three of my returns. One of them was a purchase on behalf of a friend. Customer service tried to tell me my items were final sale. First of all there was no communication or documentation disclosing the items were going to be final sale. And second I don't buy final sale items without seeing them or trying them on first. Annoyed! First thing when I get home that box is getting taped up to be shipped out in the morning.
I must say the final sale things is extremely irritating. It's like saying, we know something is wrong with the bag, we will not disclose that information, and we can care less about customer satisfaction because you are getting such a tremendous deal. Really now?

I must say the final sale things is extremely irritating. It's like saying, we know something is wrong with the bag, we will not disclose that information, and we can care less about customer satisfaction because you are getting such a tremendous deal. Really now?
Wow! Without seeing it, you just about quoted the lame excuse that was given to me in their initial response. She acted like she was doing me a favor to "make an exception because I contacted her multiple times about it". You're darn right I'm going to contact you. You're trying to change your policy after the purchase was made. I only responded to the email trying to deny my return and wasn't sure if it went through because it got sent to me so I ended up doing an online chat with the same person. Definitely won't buy again from them due to the service. She had to back down because she knew she was wrong. There were no disclosures on the website during the sale, in the promotional email, my order confirmation or even when I put the items in my cart. Next time "she'll make sure the online shoppers know when these types of sales are final". Yuck! I work in advertising compliance and it's my job to ensure all the fine details and disclosures are included in any marketing or contracts. I apply that same analysis to my personal transactions. She was messing with the wrong lady today. Ok, thanks for putting up with my rant.

Ok.... dare I say it? Again, lol?? I think I may be bag content for now. I cannot say forever, because, well, you know..... handbags. Lol. But I have a couple of satchels, several colors of hobos, two drawstrings, a crossbody, and a Flo. In all honesty, that's really all I want right now. I am going to try to stick to a 6 month bag content hiatus. My birthday is at the end of September and if hubby buys a bag or gift card, well, then I'm a lucky lady[emoji256] [emoji4] . Same goes for Christmas.

I actually deleted the ebay app off of my phone so I wouldn't be tempted to browse. And I never get the emails anymore (I have no idea why). When I have gone to the outlet lately, I have only purchased a crossbody that I specifically went shopping for. Before that, I went browsing and left 6 times without buying anything [emoji72].

So, I am gonna give it a shot and just enjoy the bags I have. For now [emoji6]

Ok.... dare I say it? Again, lol?? I think I may be bag content for now. I cannot say forever, because, well, you know..... handbags. Lol. But I have a couple of satchels, several colors of hobos, two drawstrings, a crossbody, and a Flo. In all honesty, that's really all I want right now. I am going to try to stick to a 6 month bag content hiatus. My birthday is at the end of September and if hubby buys a bag or gift card, well, then I'm a lucky lady[emoji256] [emoji4] . Same goes for Christmas.

I actually deleted the ebay app off of my phone so I wouldn't be tempted to browse. And I never get the emails anymore (I have no idea why). When I have gone to the outlet lately, I have only purchased a crossbody that I specifically went shopping for. Before that, I went browsing and left 6 times without buying anything [emoji72].

Good luck. We all need a rest sometimes.

Reactions: BadWolf10

Good luck BW!

Wow, this is quite a thread! This is my first post here, so hello everyone :smile: I've been a little overwhelmed by how many bags I have recently purchased, and how many I own in total, so....reading this thread has helped - it always helps just to know I'm not the only one! :smile: I have always had an obsessive type of personality, but growing up, and even through most of my twenties and thirties, I never allowed myself to actually buy much of anything. a) I was always taught not to, so I would end up just trying to find a cheaper "alternative" to whatever I had been originally drawn towards, or I just wouldn't allow myself to look enough to be drawn towards anything; and b) I always sensed that if I let myself start, I would end up collecting SO many things, and perhaps it would never end! With that said, I can't believe the amount of joy and satisfaction I have felt finally just letting myself buy stuff I truly wanted, I actually treasure my possessions now, and I finally feel confident that it all looks and feels good together. It has also been so fulfilling to discover and develop my sense of taste!

But my worries have been.......1) Is this being materialistic? Is it bad to be so materialistic?; 2) I would feel ashamed to have friends see my collections, they would just think I was wasteful, shallow, and vain; 3) I myself am shocked by how much I have spent, despite the fact that I never pay full price, I always get good discounts, and will often purchase because something is in limited stock so it feels like my only chance at that price for that bag; 3) What have I done financially? Normally I am not cheap, but very practical with money - I save. More than average, probably, because my parents taught me to. Well.....I just spent a LOT. First it was shoes (now I finally never have to browse for hours in search of that shoe that is cheap enough but pseudo fits an outfit for a particular occasion, though uncomfortable), then it was skirts, then it was blazers, then it was earrings, then it was necklaces, then bracelets, then perfumes, and now, at last, handbags. I feel guilty/weird even typing that....but then, I also just didn't have much of those things before! I can say....I don't get that feeling of tiring of one thing and then feeling the urge to buy the next - rather it's just this joy of discovering my own sense of taste, what I like, what I don't like, why, and then admiring my collections, and most of all, using my collections! My obsessiveness doesn't help here, as I also get these compulsions about the styles, numbers, and colors of bags I need to have. I look around, and I know I own in excess - way more than I could NEED.....but.....I can look so good rocking that bag! And it looks so different from the other bags I have....you know that feeling?

Anyway, so I ended up on the Dooney forum because I think that Dooneys are particularly addictive. I am now waiting on 3 bags to arrive in the mail, and I think I am Dooney done for now. The only danger is that there are a few colors in particular that I am in love with, and I have obsessively searched for the perfect bag for me in those colors, but haven't found them: elephant (in florentine leather), oyster, mauve, and graphite. SO.....yeah, I'm going to just have to force myself to NOT LOOK anymore, because I have truly run out of space - I think I have exactly enough left just for the bags that are coming, lol! The Dooney thing only just started....2-3 months ago? Y'all won't believe how many Dooney's I have accumulated in the last few months that I have discovered Dooney. What didn't help was that I immediately discovered how to get deals - normally I would have been scared off by the price! But the discounts were significant, and I knew that the quality I was getting for those prices far surpassed what I would get for that price in other brands...so.....yeah :smile: The other brands I have collected might seem kind of random - they are not as nice as Dooneys: Tignanello, Lucky Brand, Sondra Roberts, Betsey Johnson (the newer ones, not the nice pre-bankruptcy ones!), and then pairs of Anuschka, Fossil, Patricia Nash, Foley & Corinna, Born, and Emma Fox. I get scared looking at them all, and yet also LOVE them. Many I kind find online anymore, or at least not for the deals that I got them for :smile:

As far as being bag content - I actually think I am.....NOW, after I already bought everything I wanted, lol! So I don't know how much that counts. I am HOPING it lasts, because I don't feeling slightly out of control, I am just drawn so strongly. That did happen with the other items I collected - I seemed to stop after I felt I had everything I wanted, and then I no longer had the desire to even search anymore - then my obsession turned towards using the things I had collected :smile:

I'm so happy to have found other Dooney lovers! I have watched SO many youtube videos, I don't even know how many more there will be to watch. But I think just seeing what bags others are buying or using today and hearing others talk about how much they appreciate their Dooneys will help satisfy my own love for bags, too.

Wow, this is quite a thread! This is my first post here, so hello everyone :smile: I've been a little overwhelmed by how many bags I have recently purchased, and how many I own in total, so....reading this thread has helped - it always helps just to know I'm not the only one! :smile: I have always had an obsessive type of personality, but growing up, and even through most of my twenties and thirties, I never allowed myself to actually buy much of anything. a) I was always taught not to, so I would end up just trying to find a cheaper "alternative" to whatever I had been originally drawn towards, or I just wouldn't allow myself to look enough to be drawn towards anything; and b) I always sensed that if I let myself start, I would end up collecting SO many things, and perhaps it would never end! With that said, I can't believe the amount of joy and satisfaction I have felt finally just letting myself buy stuff I truly wanted, I actually treasure my possessions now, and I finally feel confident that it all looks and feels good together. It has also been so fulfilling to discover and develop my sense of taste!

But my worries have been.......1) Is this being materialistic? Is it bad to be so materialistic?; 2) I would feel ashamed to have friends see my collections, they would just think I was wasteful, shallow, and vain; 3) I myself am shocked by how much I have spent, despite the fact that I never pay full price, I always get good discounts, and will often purchase because something is in limited stock so it feels like my only chance at that price for that bag; 3) What have I done financially? Normally I am not cheap, but very practical with money - I save. More than average, probably, because my parents taught me to. Well.....I just spent a LOT. First it was shoes (now I finally never have to browse for hours in search of that shoe that is cheap enough but pseudo fits an outfit for a particular occasion, though uncomfortable), then it was skirts, then it was blazers, then it was earrings, then it was necklaces, then bracelets, then perfumes, and now, at last, handbags. I feel guilty/weird even typing that....but then, I also just didn't have much of those things before! I can say....I don't get that feeling of tiring of one thing and then feeling the urge to buy the next - rather it's just this joy of discovering my own sense of taste, what I like, what I don't like, why, and then admiring my collections, and most of all, using my collections! My obsessiveness doesn't help here, as I also get these compulsions about the styles, numbers, and colors of bags I need to have. I look around, and I know I own in excess - way more than I could NEED.....but.....I can look so good rocking that bag! And it looks so different from the other bags I have....you know that feeling?

Anyway, so I ended up on the Dooney forum because I think that Dooneys are particularly addictive. I am now waiting on 3 bags to arrive in the mail, and I think I am Dooney done for now. The only danger is that there are a few colors in particular that I am in love with, and I have obsessively searched for the perfect bag for me in those colors, but haven't found them: elephant (in florentine leather), oyster, mauve, and graphite. SO.....yeah, I'm going to just have to force myself to NOT LOOK anymore, because I have truly run out of space - I think I have exactly enough left just for the bags that are coming, lol! The Dooney thing only just started....2-3 months ago? Y'all won't believe how many Dooney's I have accumulated in the last few months that I have discovered Dooney. What didn't help was that I immediately discovered how to get deals - normally I would have been scared off by the price! But the discounts were significant, and I knew that the quality I was getting for those prices far surpassed what I would get for that price in other brands...so.....yeah :smile: The other brands I have collected might seem kind of random - they are not as nice as Dooneys: Tignanello, Lucky Brand, Sondra Roberts, Betsey Johnson (the newer ones, not the nice pre-bankruptcy ones!), and then pairs of Anuschka, Fossil, Patricia Nash, Foley & Corinna, Born, and Emma Fox. I get scared looking at them all, and yet also LOVE them. Many I kind find online anymore, or at least not for the deals that I got them for :smile:

As far as being bag content - I actually think I am.....NOW, after I already bought everything I wanted, lol! So I don't know how much that counts. I am HOPING it lasts, because I don't feeling slightly out of control, I am just drawn so strongly. That did happen with the other items I collected - I seemed to stop after I felt I had everything I wanted, and then I no longer had the desire to even search anymore - then my obsession turned towards using the things I had collected :smile:

I'm so happy to have found other Dooney lovers! I have watched SO many youtube videos, I don't even know how many more there will be to watch. But I think just seeing what bags others are buying or using today and hearing others talk about how much they appreciate their Dooneys will help satisfy my own love for bags, too.

DZK:
WELCOME TO THE FORUM. Many of us are obsessed with Dooneys, at least at times. Then we back away for a while and enjoy what we have, before the buying starts again. If you are financially responsible, pay all your bills, save for the future, take care of your family, give to charity and have enough money left over, then you get to spend that money on handbags. Some people choose new cars, others eat out several times a week, or stop at a bar with friends, or go on vacations, or to the theater, or collect something else. Everyone has their thing. Ours just happens to be handbags.
Enjoy your collection.

Reactions: DBLover318 and DZK