OMG Peter Tay got Laid Off!

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the laying off world, it is hard to know the exact reasons. Some people get laid off because they do so well (and getting a substentially higher wage) and some other people for the exactly opposite reasons.

In the laying off world, it is hard to know the exact reasons. Some people get laid off because they do so well (and getting a substentially higher wage) and some other people for the exactly opposite reasons.

True :yes: We had this situation in our last round of redundancies - high fliers (hence earners) were the 1st targets :shrugs:

I saw an article in the NY Times. It stated ..." Saks Inc. said late Thursday that it was cutting 1,100 in-store and corporate support jobs, or about 9 percent of its work force, eliminating merit-based wage increases and suspending matching contributions to employee 401(k) plans for at least a year. On Wednesday, Neiman Marcus said it was cutting 375 jobs, or 2.3 percent of its work force."

Looks like it wasnt just Saks, and it will probably follow with more luxury retailers. That is my guess. My heart goes out to Peter. I am not sure if emailing his bosses would help or not. Decisions are made, etc... Its hard to reverse a decision like that sometimes for just one person.

Cara

Exactly!

Sorry, but this is bigger than Peter and his managers.

I am sure Peter will find a better place. All things happen for a reason.

wow! my sister and i was just discussing this last night...about whether peter ever sleeps bc he is so quick to respond and emails all time of day. we were just saying he will never get fired bc i'm sure he's top seller!...and today i get an email from him...the email subject reads 'Saks Update' so i thought he was emailing to let everyone know that saks was extending the EGC event, but guess not...bummer for Peter

I just checked my messages and saw Peter's email. Although I hadn't really had a chance to get to know him or buy anything from him (I was recently referred to him by a tPFer), I feel so bad about this situation. It's horrible. Unfortunately, this may just be the beginning for Saks. I'm scared to think what could happen in the next few months... Not a good sign.

I told him that I would write an email over the weekend. I'll do it regardless of whether or not it makes a difference.

Did it sound like he may have some other connections? He said that he will be able to arrange orders and he'll still be sending shoe emails.

I hope he lands on his feet!

Status
Not open for further replies.