OMG- Look at these Fakes- DISCUSSION THREAD.

LOL

I actually disagree with the assertion that fakes drive "customers" into Hermes boutiques. To me, these horrid pieces of refuse are in fact the reason why so many buyers *devalue* the authentic items in their minds. To a lot of people (NOT us, clearly), "what's the difference? can the real thing be that much better?". Duh. They are part of the reason that someone would offer $200 on eBay for a $10,000 bag. :rolleyes: And yes, that has happened.

that's a classic example of brand dilution, and exactly what intellectual property laws are intended to protect against.

ps - thanks JAG!! :heart:

DQ, whilst I have to agree that brand dilution happens, I think it has not happened to a scale large enough to be alarming. That said, I can also see that if nothing is done about it, the situation can only get worse. And the probable scenario would be that long time customers will devalue their H bags (even though authentic). But not until there is another brand of bags that can be comparable to Hermes, i.e. one more notch above Hermes, these well-heeled Hermes customers will have no other brands to jump ship to.

i can't believe how worked up i am over this -- really i'm quite a lazy individual, but i so feel the need to do SOMETHING.

even if H doesn't want to make the effort to protect the brand, I feel like the US should be protecting its consumers better. i can't grow a pot plant in my back yard for personal use without being sure of getting tossed in the slammer, and yet they turn a blind eye to stealing millions of dollars this way! i pay a boatload of taxes and should be getting some service from the agencies i support. harrumph. i guess that's the second letter for later today. maybe minus the reference to cultivating canabis. (not that i COULD grow a pot plant - no seeds and no green thumb.)

I took a step back and re-read all the posts. I have to say, I am very proud of DQ and the ladies who are so upset with that darn site and ARE doing something about it. You ladies, do it with class and style. Let me know where that petition is, I will add mine to it any time any day. :flowers:

A lot of their pics are stolen from the Japanese resellers' sites.
:wtf:
Whoa. So if someone was ignorant of the Hermes brand enough to purchase one of their items, they wouldn't be getting anything even remotely close to what is pictured?
In one way that makes me feel better, that some of the bags in the photos are probably authentic and they have apparently not fully mastered the art of the superfake. In another way, of course, it's still JUST as wrong and it's still fraud of about a trillion different kinds.

Grrrrr. Like DressageQueen, I'm really fired up about this. :cursing:

Hummingbird, I hope not.. but we never know. Imagine worst case scenerio, an ebay seller buys from that site and resells it? That is why I preferred to have the link removed.

MrsS, :tup: I hope our local H does something about it.

[B said:
princessfrog[/B];3571206]Hummingbird, I hope not.. but we never know. Imagine worst case scenerio, an ebay seller buys from that site and resells it? That is why I preferred to have the link removed.

MrsS, :tup: I hope our local H does something about it.

Maybe that would be best. DQ, what do you think?