ok, freaking out over here.....

mojo

Feb 12, 2006
hi ladies......excuse the drama but I'm kinda hyperventilating over my black caviar maxi!

The bag is just under 2 months old and has been used maybe 10 times. Last night, I spotted that the stitching on one part of the strap is coming undone! So that it looks like it's literally hanging by a thread!!!

I've read that chanel does free repairs for bags under a year old but I ordered the bag from a different country (from nordstrom) so do I now have to send the bag back and incur shipping charges back and forth? Also, I'm not sure what the position is with regard to taxes? I sure don't want to have to pay VAT again!!!

Any advice VERY gratefully received.

is there chanel boutique near you at all? and if it's just stitching within the strap i think it's easily taken care of anywhere there are good bag people.... pics? sorry you have to deal wtih this but i am sure it will be ok so don't freak out :smile:

Try going to your local Chanel boutique and present them with your receipt as proof that it was purchased within the year. That should be enough to get them to repair it for free. Or better, ask if they can do an exchange but I highly doubt that would happen because it was purchased from Nordstrom.

thanks pls5 and burberryprncess.

There is a chanel boutique in town but as mentioned by burberry, I am not confident that they will deal with this since the bag was purchased from Nordstrom.

I have already emailed my SA from Nordstrom and am waiting to hear back from her.

I'm sure that if I fight hard enough, I can get the Chanel here to repair the stitching or for that matter I am also sure that I can get it re-stitched by any leather repair shop. But that kind of defeats the point in my opinion of purchasing a supposedly high end designer product from an authorised retailer. I won't be happy but I can accept it better if I got the item at a reduced price from an authorised source but not for a full-price item that I've used not more than 10 times, if that.

aaaaarrrrrggggghhhhhhh

Unfortunately, this happens and Chanel quality has gone super down hill. :tdown: My vintage bags were made much better than my newer bags and they are still holding up without any defects. I'd say go to your local Chanel and request repair work for free. Show them your Nordstrom receipt.

Btw, I have a loose thread on my grey reissue. Instead of sending it for repair, I bought a leather needle and heavy duty thread and did the repair work myself. I don't recommend this unless you are handy with the needle.

I'm definitely not handy with a needle - much more likely to stab myself and bleed all over the bag!!

Best outcome for me would be for Nordstrom to solve the problem.....I will let you guys know when I hear from the SA. Surely I can't be the first overseas customer to receive a defective product.

Thanks for the support and advice ladies....

Maybe I'm being unduly pessimistic and chanel here will miraculously offer a replacement with a smile!!! ;)

As long as the bag is less than a year old, the Chanel boutique will fic it for you. I brought in my reissue to fix a broken stitch and I didn't show them a receipt. I'm in Singapore if that helps.

Sophie, in your opinion, when do you think the quality of Chanel bags started going downhill? I know it has been the recent years... but how recent?

Unfortunately, this happens and Chanel quality has gone super down hill. :tdown: My vintage bags were made much better than my newer bags and they are still holding up without any defects. I'd say go to your local Chanel and request repair work for free. Show them your Nordstrom receipt.

Btw, I have a loose thread on my grey reissue. Instead of sending it for repair, I bought a leather needle and heavy duty thread and did the repair work myself. I don't recommend this unless you are handy with the needle.