Official bottega veneta chat thread - thread #4

There's a product on this website but it does some with specifics re: use and effectiveness. Have never tried it myself although I've purchased other products from them. It says for non-permeable leather. Aren't all leathers permeable? :confused1:
https://www.valentinogaremi.ca/coll...s/products/ink-ball-point-pen-remover-by-avel
Oohhh, this product looks intriguing! I think i would test it out first on a cheap leather item...i think i will buy it, thank you for the link! :biggrin:

Ok ladies, I think I have finally reached the rock bottom of my spiraling “habit” but it makes me so happy! I have acquired the trifecta of Cervo Loops... presenting Aubergine 2014, Barolo year? And Brique 2013! I think... They are definitely different colors. I’ve takes their group pics in various lightings:

Cloudy day no flash:
View attachment 4590692
Cloudy day with flash:
View attachment 4590696
Office lighting:
View attachment 4590697

And a few more pics for fun
View attachment 4590693 View attachment 4590694 View attachment 4590695
These are just stunning! :heart::heart::heart:

Reactions: BBBagHag
They redesigned the Garda. I don't hate it, but I can't help feel like something's missing.
View attachment 4591498 View attachment 4591499 View attachment 4591500 View attachment 4591501 View attachment 4591502
Hmm let's see, what's missing....
They changed the proportions of the bag (IMO) by making the handles thinner.
The removed the metal rings around where the straps cinch (as they originally added them a few years ago because of complaints of the opening wearing too quickly).
They made it in the 1.5cm intrecciato.
They removed the beautiful soft suede lining (a signature of the "modern BV" house - for the last 15 years at least).
They changed the zipper pull and now use a cheap-looking shiny gold zipper.
They added a heatstamp directly above the zippered pocket.
They probably (I cant tell) removed the cell phone pocket.
They increased the price by about $400
More like Garda-inspired, IMO

Hmm let's see, what's missing....
They changed the proportions of the bag (IMO) by making the handles thinner.
The removed the metal rings around where the straps cinch (as they originally added them a few years ago because of complaints of the opening wearing too quickly).
They made it in the 1.5cm intrecciato.
They removed the beautiful soft suede lining (a signature of the "modern BV" house - for the last 15 years at least).
They changed the zipper pull and now use a cheap-looking shiny gold zipper.
They added a heatstamp directly above the zippered pocket.
They probably (I cant tell) removed the cell phone pocket.
They increased the price by about $400
More like Garda-inspired, IMO
I personally don't mind the 1.5cm weave. But yes, the missing rings really stand out. Even the closeup shows how highly unfinished and unrefined it looks. The stripping of practically everything is terrible, not to mention the price difference.

Reactions: LLANeedle
I personally don't mind the 1.5cm weave. But yes, the missing rings really stand out. Even the closeup shows how highly unfinished and unrefined it looks. The stripping of practically everything is terrible, not to mention the price difference.
The size of the weave is subjective of course, I don’t necessarily have something against it, I just don’t think it’s going to age well. I think it’s going to curl and pull, IMO. Not that #newbottega fans will be holding on to these bags, especially given the numerous (authentic) DL designs on the resale market. I think they’re hot (so I’m being told) right now, but next year it will be Dior or Balenciaga or Chloe....
I agree the stitching around the opening looks unfinished. I have an original Garda from ‘08? with the leather covered rings and they show no wear (I didn’t really like the gunmetal ones added, I thought they were unnecessary and broke up the seamless look of the bag).

I want to thank you though for posting all of the new designs :flowers: It’s really helpful to get them all documented here - especially since I can’t bring myself to do it :lol:

Oohhh, this product looks intriguing! I think i would test it out first on a cheap leather item...i think i will buy it, thank you for the link! :biggrin:
Even if you test on a cheapie I'd be careful to test on an inconspicuous bit of the BV too. Different leathers and different dyes won't react the same. Let us know how you make out, I've always wanted to try this stuff.

The size of the weave is subjective of course, I don’t necessarily have something against it, I just don’t think it’s going to age well. I think it’s going to curl and pull, IMO.

I want to thank you though for posting all of the new designs :flowers: It’s really helpful to get them all documented here - especially since I can’t bring myself to do it :lol:
I've definitely seen curling and pulling in a few pictures shared by SA's and pictures posted on IG. There were Pouches in the original sized weave before the 1.5 Pouches came out. The original versions looked sleeker, imo.
My pleasure! :hbeat: I'm sure there are people who want to learn more or keep up with the new designs. I'm sure I'm not the only one, but I love searching for pictures, jumping from website to website, collating it all, and sharing everything, if only as an archive of sorts for other TPF'ers to refer to. I did quite a lot of it on the Celine reference threads. Alas, quite a significant chunk of it was lost when TPF did the updates. Still, I bow to the breadth and scale of knowledge held by veteran BV tpfers. :drinks:

They redesigned the Garda. I don't hate it, but I can't help feel like something's missing.
View attachment 4591498 View attachment 4591499 View attachment 4591500 View attachment 4591501 View attachment 4591502

Details:

Not keen on the thinner straps.
Don't mind the leather interior but prefer suede. BTW for those wondering how far back suede goes my mother's 1970s & 1990s BV hobos both have suede interiors. The 1990s is black inside and out but the '70s is a similar colour as we're used to with our TMs.
Wider weave - still need to get used to it. It does remind me of those wanna-be BVs in the early '00s from the high-street (my sister bought me a red suede French Connection BV-inspired shoulder bag)
Gold zip (OMG I can't get used to that on BV)
I liked the absence of metal rings until @VON!B2 's remark :lol:

Generally:

All in all I do think it looks very late-'90s-early '00s, maybe it's all that shine. That era is making a big comeback so it's not really a surprise. Dust off your slip dresses, get out your embellished tops to wear with jeans and use those little boxy bags to cary under the arm.... or maybe not. OK, maybe the slip dresses :P

Reactions: jbags07 and V0N1B2
It does remind me of those wanna-be BVs in the early '00s from the high-street (my sister bought me a red suede French Connection BV-inspired shoulder bag)

All in all I do think it looks very late-'90s-early '00s, maybe it's all that shine. That era is making a big comeback so it's not really a surprise.
I've seen the new Olympia and Intrecciato totes. They definitely feel late-90s - early 00s. I can't even remember which online store I saw them, they weren't all that memorable or even all that Bottega apart from the use of the weaving technique. Vaguely reminds me of the "up and coming" minimal-esque brands the Hadid Sisters are always seen carrying. Very 90's, somewhat plain and forgettable. Definitely high-street vibes. The Garda was obvious to me since I saw it on the official website before it started trickling in to the new arrivals on a few online boutiques. Maybe New Bottega does New Bottega best but overhauling the classics so radically just takes away a lot of what made them classics, imo.