Official bottega veneta chat thread - thread #4

Hi, All! I’ve been a TPF member for years but haven’t posted until this past August when I was bitten by the BV bug ;) Over the last couple of months I have gained so much knowledge, insight and inspiration from all of you—many thanks! Now I come to you for some insight... I recently acquired a new style nero medium veneta and do not have doubts about its authenticity but do see some differences from the older bags that I have. The leather strips seem thicker/stiffer and not as silky smooth or soft as the older style veneta. It looks like this new veneta could still use some breaking in, but is this normal for the newer style? I have never handled a new veneta, so I’m a little clueless... I have a 2006/7 nero bowler that feels so soft and this was one of main reasons I fell in love with BV. Since this new style veneta has only been around since 2015(?) it doesn’t seem likely that the leather could have dried out so quickly? For those of you who own this bag, I’d love to hear your thoughts and opinions! TIA!!

...For those of you who own this bag, I’d love to hear your thoughts and opinions! TIA!!
Some bags just take longer to break in and even on the same bag it depends on the specific hide. I have a Nappa Nero Cabat that has taken over five years to soften and it still doesn’t puddle. And I’ve seen the exact bag be completely softer. It’s also possible that over the years BV may have edited the formulation of its dyes which could change how the hide reacts to it. That’s what makes BV unique (and at times frustrating)—the individuality of each piece.

Reactions: ADbaglover
[QUOTE="That’s what makes BV unique (and at times frustrating)—the individuality of each piece.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, grietje! Your insight makes me feel better. I will work on using it and hope it softens up soon. Have you ever used leather conditioner on your nappa to help things along? I’ve read many threads on leaving BV leather alone, but was thinking of possibly sending the bag off to Modern Leather to have the bag conditioned. Not sure what consensus is on using leather conditioners...?

i would not send the bag anywhere, but keep using it more frequently and it will soften up sooner and naturally, imho

Thanks, ksuromax! I’ve seen so many pics of you and your gorgeous bags/jewelry/scarves and even the washing of your nodini thread! I truly respect all of your opinions and am very appreciative for the advice :smile: And although my journey into BV is very new, my respect and adoration of TM’s work is already very strong!

I’ve never used any. I just figured it was time that would soften it up. And I agree with our K — better to let it be.

Glad you agree, grietje :smile: And love the pic of your doggies. It’s been a cold, rainy morning here and our dog, Bear, did not want to come back inside—the resulting drenched sheepdog/poodle fur was not fun... lol

Thanks, ksuromax! I’ve seen so many pics of you and your gorgeous bags/jewelry/scarves and even the washing of your nodini thread! I truly respect all of your opinions and am very appreciative for the advice :smile: And although my journey into BV is very new, my respect and adoration of TM’s work is already very strong!
thank you :blush:
TM's creations offer a lot to explore, enjoy your journey! :flowers:

[QUOTE="That’s what makes BV unique (and at times frustrating)—the individuality of each piece.

Thanks, grietje! Your insight makes me feel better. I will work on using it and hope it softens up soon. Have you ever used leather conditioner on your nappa to help things along? I’ve read many threads on leaving BV leather alone, but was thinking of possibly sending the bag off to Modern Leather to have the bag conditioned. Not sure what consensus is on using leather conditioners...?[/QUOTE]
I condition all of my bags, including my nappa BV cabat, convertible and nodini. The frequency depends on how much I have used the bag, but at least twice a year. Any leather will eventually dry out. I always test first in a hidden spot because some dyes are not stable. In that case I leave it alone. I know some of you prefer to leave your leather alone.

Thanks, grietje! Your insight makes me feel better. I will work on using it and hope it softens up soon. Have you ever used leather conditioner on your nappa to help things along? I’ve read many threads on leaving BV leather alone, but was thinking of possibly sending the bag off to Modern Leather to have the bag conditioned. Not sure what consensus is on using leather conditioners...?
I condition all of my bags, including my nappa BV cabat, convertible and nodini. The frequency depends on how much I have used the bag, but at least twice a year. Any leather will eventually dry out. I always test first in a hidden spot because some dyes are not stable. In that case I leave it alone. I know some of you prefer to leave your leather alone.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, southernbelle! What brand conditioner do you use?

Reactions: jbags07