Scarves Ode to Silk GM Scarves/Shawls

Thanks for posting! I really like the more muted tones here actually. I missed out on the 90 format, but really wish this would be in the cashmere silk instead…. I have absolutely no idea how to wear 140 silks! In summer here, it’s too hot to wear it, while in winter it’s way too cold to just use a silk scarf to wrap up…. *sighs*
I agree - cash and silk would be so much more manageable. I live in cash 140 (as they are so easy to wear and don’t wrinkle or show sweat or spills). Giant silk gets wrinkled after one wear - unless the scarf is ironed, it doesn’t look that appealing. The scale is odd as well - it is one of the design that I suspect won’t translate too well into a larger format..

Thanks for the intel.

I was wondering what they would do to this for the reissue. No change in scale, just add a border (why?!) and flatten the colourways. The 90’s were so much more lively and vibrant. I’m sure the change is intentional, to make them less challenging, but that was exactly what I loved about the original issues - lots of saturated contrasts and detail. The riot of colours matched the chaos of the design: its fantasy animals overrunning a fantasy city after all! The movement and depth is lost in these more uniform palettes.

I agree - cash and silk would be so much more manageable. I live in cash 140 (as they are so easy to wear and don’t wrinkle or show sweat or spills). Giant silk gets wrinkled after one wear - unless the scarf is ironed, it doesn’t look that appealing. The scale is odd as well - it is one of the design that I suspect won’t translate too well into a larger format..

I missed the original Animapolis and am definitely only interested in cw01 of this reissue for all the vibrant chaos, though now I'm moving back through the archives to see how it compares to its counterpart...

I did get to (quickly) see cw01 being modeled via the iPad, and it made me pretty optimistic - I actually liked the contrast of the white border and the way the design exploded across the format. Will also want to see this one in person (or at least some modshots!) though. I will have to consider the 140 silk piece...I get constant use out of my CGSMs for the same reasons as @Ashanti_Rose so was hoping I'd find the silks usable as well.

Reactions: Lellabelle
I missed the original Animapolis and am definitely only interested in cw01 of this reissue for all the vibrant chaos, though now I'm moving back through the archives to see how it compares to its counterpart...

I did get to (quickly) see cw01 being modeled via the iPad, and it made me pretty optimistic - I actually liked the contrast of the white border and the way the design exploded across the format. Will also want to see this one in person (or at least some modshots!) though. I will have to consider the 140 silk piece...I get constant use out of my CGSMs for the same reasons as @Ashanti_Rose so was hoping I'd find the silks usable as well.
It would also depend on the type of silk they will use. I doubt it will be thick twill (aka winter silk), as this is being issued as part of SS collection, so if it is summer silk or silk wash, those will be notoriously thin and wrinkly. I find a hard time to justify the cost of 140 silk. If you are really after the design, I would say to look for the original 90 issue from resellers. Better investment IMO.

It would also depend on the type of silk they will use. I doubt it will be thick twill (aka winter silk), as this is being issued as part of SS collection, so if it is summer silk or silk wash, those will be notoriously thin and wrinkly. I find a hard time to justify the cost of 140 silk. If you are really after the design, I would say to look for the original 90 issue from resellers. Better investment IMO.
The summer silk feels like polyester to me. If I had not purchased in the boutique I would think they were horrible fakes!

The summer silk feels like polyester to me. If I had not purchased in the boutique I would think they were horrible fakes!
I know! My dilemma with summer silk is that unelss you knot it really tight or only wear it indoors, the fabric get blown off with the wind and the scarf gets a life on its own:smile: And I don't like knotting it tight either as it wrinkles like there is no tomorrow and one has to iron the scarf after every single wear... what a pain!

Hey, ladies, out of curiosity, would you mind sharing which summer silk designs you have that you experienced these difficulties with or does your assessment apply to all? I have several wash 140s and several "plume" which are definitely lighter (noticeably so). But even though they are lighter in weight, I haven't noticed these issues to an objectionable level. And mine are not all recent (Lalbhai, Sieste, On a Summers Day) though some are (Harnais de Coeur en Patch, Eleftheria). I have no winter weight silk twills for comparison. I see on the H.com site that recent 140s are listed as "silk twill" but some resellers list older designs specifically as "silk twill plume." Are your 140 silks labeled in any way that can shed light on the various different kinds? To keep this on topic I raise the question relative to Animapolis and other 140s for SS2024.

Hey, ladies, out of curiosity, would you mind sharing which summer silk designs you have that you experienced these difficulties with or does your assessment apply to all? I have several wash 140s and several "plume" which are definitely lighter (noticeably so). But even though they are lighter in weight, I haven't noticed these issues to an objectionable level. And mine are not all recent (Lalbhai, Sieste, On a Summers Day) though some are (Harnais de Coeur en Patch, Eleftheria). I have no winter weight silk twills for comparison. I see on the H.com site that recent 140s are listed as "silk twill" but some resellers list older designs specifically as "silk twill plume." Are your 140 silks labeled in any way that can shed light on the various different kinds? To keep this on topic I raise the question relative to Animapolis and other 140s for SS2024.
Dear LKB, everything is in comparison as you know. If you had a winter weight silk to compare, you would know the difference. I have a couple of older winter silk editions (A la plume, Mors) - they are heavy, very substantial, don't wrinkle at all - really solid silk. IMO there is a huge difference between winter silk and summer twill once you put them side by side. I don't have that many summer silks as I got rid of most of them due to quality issues and perceived low versatiliy vs relatively high cost. I have Lalbhai, Sieste, Savana dance still, but rid of Panthera, Acinonyx and couple more. I find that Lalbhai doesn't wrinkle all that much, but Sieste does. Savana is a wash (it looks wrinkled by design) - I find the quality also very thin and cheap (alas I love how design translates into 140).

I find the same for moussies - I have vintage moussies (which are crips and don't wrinkle) while the recent editions are very thin and again wrinkle like they were chewed after one wear (and I don't even have the propensity to knot them tightly!) as compared to anything circal early 2000 or vintages.
As much as I love Animapolis design, I doubt I'd be spending $1K on that thing in summer silk:smile: Cashmere would be worth it, but summer silk - hardly so.

Last edited:
I have 140 cm Tapis Persians, Équateur and Chemins Secrets in the light silk and agree that they are a bit challenging to tie.

• Insightful
Reactions: redheaddem
Rather tellingly, I can’t even remember the design but I know I bought it ages ago and forced myself to wear it precisely once. I ought to sell it but as @momasaurus says, it feels fake so I just know I’d have problems with authenticity claims. Sigh, expensive mistake.

Reactions: momasaurus
The most flimsy is Parures Precieuses (Spring 2017 , boutique tag says "Carre geant twill plume 100% soie). It feel slippery and cheap. Also Larubizana (Carre geant summer tw) and Astrologie nouvelle (not from the boutique, but from a beloved eBay seller, don't think it included the tag).
Winter weight silk (or whatever they call it) is wonderful, especially dip dyes!

Me too, I would not buy summer weight again, it feels cheap and nasty (and it’s definitely not one of those things)

I know! My dilemma with summer silk is that unelss you knot it really tight or only wear it indoors, the fabric get blown off with the wind and the scarf gets a life on its own:smile: And I don't like knotting it tight either as it wrinkles like there is no tomorrow and one has to iron the scarf after every single wear... what a pain!

Dear LKB, everything is in comparison as you know. If you had a winter weight silk to compare, you would know the difference. I have a couple of older winter silk editions (A la plume, Mors) - they are heavy, very substantial, don't wrinkle at all - really solid silk. IMO there is a huge difference between winter silk and summer twill once you put them side by side. I don't have that many summer silks as I got rid of most of them due to quality issues and perceived low versatiliy vs relatively high cost. I have Lalbhai, Sieste, Savana dance still, but rid of Panthera, Acinonyx and couple more. I find that Lalbhai doesn't wrinkle all that much, but Sieste does. Savana is a wash (it looks wrinkled by design) - I find the quality also very thin and cheap (alas I love how design translates into 140).

I find the same for moussies - I have vintage moussies (which are crips and don't wrinkle) while the recent editions are very thin and again wrinkle like they were chewed after one wear (and I don't even have the propensity to knot them tightly!) as compared to anything circal early 2000 or vintages.
As much as I love Animapolis design, I doubt I'd be spending $1K on that thing in summer silk:smile: Cashmere would be worth it, but summer silk - hardly so.
I have 140 cm Tapis Persians, Équateur and Chemins Secrets in the light silk and agree that they are a bit challenging to tie.
Rather tellingly, I can’t even remember the design but I know I bought it ages ago and forced myself to wear it precisely once. I ought to sell it but as @momasaurus says, it feels fake so I just know I’d have problems with authenticity claims. Sigh, expensive mistake.
The most flimsy is Parures Precieuses (Spring 2017 , boutique tag says "Carre geant twill plume 100% soie). It feel slippery and cheap. Also Larubizana (Carre geant summer tw) and Astrologie nouvelle (not from the boutique, but from a beloved eBay seller, don't think it included the tag).
Winter weight silk (or whatever they call it) is wonderful, especially dip dyes!
I really do appreciate each of your thoughtful replies. As I said, I have not noticed any flimsiness with the 140 wash designs I have. In fact, the first I bought was Kelly en Perles in the boutique and I did not expect to find myself so entranced with it! I happily added Savana Dance and Pegase d'Hermes when those were released. I find they tie as easily as a 90 and have the same "hand" as the 90 wash or dip dyes but that's my personal assessment. My "older designs" (Tapis Persans, Sieste and Lalbai) I tend to use as shrugs or lightweight shawls without tying. But the rest I tie just like the 90s or occasionally drape them with knots at the end for weight. In my entire time owning scarves of any format I have never yet ironed one. I am too terrified and they mostly hang out quite well or benefit from a careful steam. Your very helpful comments will certainly lead me to keep an eye out for the texture, weight and feel of the larger format silks in future. Of course there are other considerations as well, like the ones @Lellabelle raises for the Animapolis design in the larger format -- scale, colorways, additions like borders and hems etc. All factors to consider as well! Thank you each again.

Oh well - dip dyes are wonderful! They are bullet proof almost:smile: I forgot I have a couple - hehehe

I really do appreciate each of your thoughtful replies. As I said, I have not noticed any flimsiness with the 140 wash designs I have. In fact, the first I bought was Kelly en Perles in the boutique and I did not expect to find myself so entranced with it! I happily added Savana Dance and Pegase d'Hermes when those were released. I find they tie as easily as a 90 and have the same "hand" as the 90 wash or dip dyes but that's my personal assessment. My "older designs" (Tapis Persans, Sieste and Lalbai) I tend to use as shrugs or lightweight shawls without tying. But the rest I tie just like the 90s or occasionally drape them with knots at the end for weight. In my entire time owning scarves of any format I have never yet ironed one. I am too terrified and they mostly hang out quite well or benefit from a careful steam. Your very helpful comments will certainly lead me to keep an eye out for the texture, weight and feel of the larger format silks in future. Of course there are other considerations as well, like the ones @Lellabelle raises for the Animapolis design in the larger format -- scale, colorways, additions like borders and hems etc. All factors to consider as well! Thank you each again.
I have 2 "summer silk" 140, Sieste and Cheetah (SS 21?). Of the two, the cheetah seems lighter more prone to wrinkles. Both I still love both, as I mostly wear them as shawls indoors.