Odd smell in LV bag...

msJenna

May 12, 2007
I won a speedy off of ebay. Turns out the bag is almost 18 years old! It's in excellent condition on the outside but on the inside there is a slight musty smell. It's that old vintage smell.

So I googled some ideas of how to get the smell out.

One said it could be mildew so to damp a towel with some rubbing alcohol and wipe down the inside of the bag.

Another one said to stick scented dryer sheets into the bag and they will absorb the smell.

The third one said to stick a bag of baking soda in there because it will absorb the smell.

So I did all three of these and left my bag open to air out for 4 days now.

My bag still has that strange musty smell mixed with rubbing alcohol scent and yeah.

So will it help if I wipe down the inside of the bag with a damp cloth with mild soap on it or something?

I don't really care if I have some slight staining on the inside of the bag. I plan on keeping this bag for a very long time.

I just want it to smell fresh.

HELP AND THANKS!!:smile:

I don't know what this'll do with the alcohol smell, but I've used mint leaves on mildew smell as well as placing cedar chips/cedar closet blocks in my bags before to pull smells out. Worked well for me.

why don't you try the baking soda again by zipping the speedy and wait few days and then open it. you mentioned in your post that you left your bag open to air out after trying it. did you just put the baking soda in and opened the bag or you closed it to let the baking soda absorb all the smell and then opened it after? and I agree with previous posts don't use any wet method yet. I remember that my husband stored my travel suitcase in his basement and when I got it back it had a musty smell. I just kept it in the laundry room and forgot about it because I was lazy and thought I will deal with it later and I didn't want to keep it in my closet because I was afraid the smell might penetrate my other stuff. few months later the smell disappeared alone. it smells more like fresh laundry now. so I think you should be patient and try dry method more. Good Luck!

Last edited:
I agree with the others here, I would not use a moist method but only a dry method. A dryer sheet or baking soda should work. Did you make sure after you wiped it down with alcohol wipes that you allowed it to totally dry before closing it up with the other methods? I would leave it open for a couple days first, then add the baking soda or dryer sheet then. The musty smell should go away pretty good and then when you begin using it, it will really disappear then. Also if you are having good weather where you are when you first air it out, outside would be ideal. Nothing kills odor better then fresh sunny air!

thanks guys! its been open to let the alcohol evaporate for a few days and I'm going to shut it for a day or two now!

Excellent advice. I'll try the cedar chips if it doesn't work. Where can I buy those?

I just checked it! The alcohol smell is pretty much gone and now it smells slightly musty, not nearly as bad as before with a combination of vanilla (from the dryer sheets!)

So I shut it and will leave it for a day or two. Wish me luck!!!

thanks guys! its been open to let the alcohol evaporate for a few days and I'm going to shut it for a day or two now!

Excellent advice. I'll try the cedar chips if it doesn't work. Where can I buy those?

When my girls had guinea pigs, we used to buy cedar chips for their cage at a pet store. I'm assuming you could get them there.

Mine were made for closets so I got them at a home and garden type place. I've seen the closet hangers at TJ Maxx, Ross, etc. Also Home Depot I think sells blocks and chips. I'd try to get bigger, whole pieces that don't have a ton of little chips you'll have to fish out. I love cedar for funky smells! I keep it in the closet all the time. It also helps keep moths out and cooking smells out of my clothes.

LOL hahah

Yeah my girlfriend uses cedar in her closets and her clothes always smell AMAZING!
Her and her mom went on a hunt to find me some and they couldn't find any.

I think amazon actually has cedar for closets. I will order some right now!

I shut the bag last night and opened it again today btw....not much of an improvement from last time. It now smells like medium musk+vanilla dryer sheets+barely there rubbing alcohol. YUCK!

Well, you shouldn't have tried everything so close together. I am going to say that the smell isn't going to come out, and now you can't return it because you have made the smell worse. You need to be careful because the canvas can soak up the smells too.

Maybe you should pay to have the lining replaced and see if that does the trick.