Odd smell in LV bag...

Hi. I've tried the cedar blocks and lavender clothes spray and that has worked for me. You can purchase these items at bed, bath, and beyond. Saturate the cotton balls with the lavender spray. You can place the saturated cotton balls in a plastic ziplock bag so that they don't wet/stain the interior lining. Leave the ziplock bag open and close your bag for about a day or two. Hope this helps.

Reactions: pxlchk1
I bought my first LV last night and am thrilled! The only thing is the bag smells of must :sad: the owner of the consignment shop said someone told her to put the bag in the freezer with a potato and baking soda and it removes the smell. Has anyone heard of this or done it?!

I"ve got the same problem with a Gucci bag I purchased, I've tried everything under the sun, and did wash it out with vinegar and baking soda, tried damp rip sachets, but I didn't try the cedar chips. I did see them in the ironing isle at target so I will try them.

I bought my first LV last night and am thrilled! The only thing is the bag smells of must :sad: the owner of the consignment shop said someone told her to put the bag in the freezer with a potato and baking soda and it removes the smell. Has anyone heard of this or done it?!

I purchased a Gucci bag and have the same problem. I've tried cleaning it in vinegar and baking soda, I even put a box of open baking soda in the purse and sealed it in Ziploc in the freezer and nothing. I also purchased the odor bags at amazon, not helpful either. I saw someone said cedar chips, I saw them at target so I guess I will try them. Good lucK!

Don't give up yet! There is a remedy. This was often given as advice on the ebay Purses Board when it was active and lots of knowledgeable experts participated. There is an Odor Removal product that comes in a jar and can be purchased at pet stores. You put the jar in the purse with the top off the jar. Zip the purse closed and put your purse inside a closed container.....box with lid, pillowcase tied closed, trash bag etc. Leave it alone for 4-5 days and then check to see if the odor has been absorbed. The product works by absorbing odors and it's also used by people in the antique business to get rid of musty smells. If the odor in your bag has lessened, but you can still smell it, seal the purse back up with the open jar in it for another few days. The contents of the jar that absorb the odor are solid so they don't leak out into your bag. Sorry, it's late and I can't think what the stuff is called, but a pet store should know what you are describing if you go in to try and buy some. Good luck!

I've got the same problem with a Gucci bag, I've tried everything but the cedar chips, so I'm going to try this today! Thank u

I bought a used monogram alma from eBay recently and its in great shape but also has a musty smell I think I will try what one poster stated about the stuff from lowes and see if that works.

I had a musty smelling bag LV speedy from eBay, and had a hard time getting rid of the odor, but this literally worked like a charm. (I did try baking soda inside a dish in the bag, newspaper, dryer sheets, febreeze and none worked).

I found those little scent beads you put in the washing machine ( I used Downy brand in shimmer scent ) got rid of the smell completely. I placed some in a dish, placed that in the bag/zipped up the bag/viola! It probably took 3 days, but the scent was gone, not just covered. It did such a good job when I sold the bag I didn't worry about the odor at all ( and I have a very sensitive nose ). This worked on the musty type smell - not smoke odor, but worth a try :smile:. Good luck!

Reactions: pxlchk1 and WVgal
What I found that works is this:

1. Put a ton of silica gel bags (those tiny paper packets that say "do not eat" when you buy shoes or bags, we collect them) inside the bag
2. Then put a scoop of good smelling powder detergent in an envelope and tape all the seams so it won't seep out. Put it in the bag.

3. Put the bag in a sealed box/taped paper bag and keep it sealed there, undisturbed for 2-3 days.

Smell is gone now!

I bought a preloved LV Saumur 35 that smelled old (musty, woody, cabinet smell) and I am so happy I got rid of the smell. I also wiped the outside of the bag with a damp cloth. The inside was clean so I left it unbothered.

Attachments

• IMG_20181115_214135.jpg
    IMG_20181115_214135.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 312
Reactions: Crazy Waffle
Hi I need some tips :smile: yesterday I bought a preloved neverfull damiere ebene :love: and I meet up whit the seller outside so I did not smell the bag. When I got home I notes a aisian food smell from the bag (aisian food is great, but I’m now aisian) and a need som tips to get it out :confused1: