Odd smell in LV bag...

cindy05

MineMineMine!!!
O.G.
Dec 29, 2007
Where the Grass is Greener, USA
it is so hard the get rid of the musty smell. I also once bought a bag off ebay and the musty smell drov eme nuts! I tried dryer sheets which only masked the smell for a little bit. I also tried baking soda, coffee beans, sun, febreeze, wiping it down with alcohol....after about 2 years....IT STILL SMELLS!!! It smells a lot less than when I first got it, but if I stick my nose in it and take a whiff, I can still smell it. Sorry to tell you that musty smells are some of the hardest smells to get rid of.

jellyv

O.G.
Mar 29, 2006
One more remedy: newspaper, crushed. You can stick it directly in the bag or, if you worry about ink transfer, inside a cloth of some kind. The newspaper absorbs odors. Close up the bag (or leave it open, I think it works either way) and let it sit for a while.

Want to point out that vintage LV Monogram has a particular odor that develops in the canvas itself, not so much the interior cotton lining. It isn't offensive once you recognize and accept that. I wonder if you're smelling that? Hard to describe, but: a sweet, tobacco-ish scent that comes just from the normal aging process of LV Mono canvas. If that is possibly it, it goes with vintage, and it won't change.

msJenna

May 12, 2007
^ The bag is epi.

I have a vintage LV and I know the smell you're talking about. It's kind of an old leather smell.

This smell reminds me of a musty gross damp basement.

So this is what I did

At this point I am desperate and I do not care if I stain the whole inside of the bag as long as the smell is gone.

I pulled out the baking soda after leaving it in the bag for two days with the bag shut.

The baking soda absorbed the dryer sheets smell- but not the musty smell!!

So mad.

So then I got desperate and found this "odor away" product that I used when my dog did his business on the carpet. They said for fabric to dilute the formula.

I sprayed the inside of the bag with the formula.

Then I wiped it down on the inside with a warm cloth

Then I sprayed the inside of the bag like fifteen times.

The smell went away for about 30 minutes. Once the odor away dried- the smell came back.

I have no idea what to do- my friend says it's just "super old bag smell" and I'm PISSED. The seller never said the bag had a funky smell.

It's really only bad when I stick my nose in it. I used it for a few days and it was okay but now that I know about the smell it's clearly more apparent to me.

I am contemplating having the bag professionally cleaned.

And my other idea is to try natures miracle- which worked wonders on my carpet where my darling chihuahua peed all over.

I'm so frustrated I'm about to throw the entire bag into a bathtub full of that stuff.

I wouldn't literally do it but yeah.

Having the lining replaced is definitely an option- but how much would that cost?

I guess that would be an excellent idea...

stupid bag.

Reactions: pxlchk1

msJenna

May 12, 2007
One more remedy: newspaper, crushed. You can stick it directly in the bag or, if you worry about ink transfer, inside a cloth of some kind. The newspaper absorbs odors. Close up the bag (or leave it open, I think it works either way) and let it sit for a while.

Want to point out that vintage LV Monogram has a particular odor that develops in the canvas itself, not so much the interior cotton lining. It isn't offensive once you recognize and accept that. I wonder if you're smelling that? Hard to describe, but: a sweet, tobacco-ish scent that comes just from the normal aging process of LV Mono canvas. If that is possibly it, it goes with vintage, and it won't change.
I'm going to try that tomorrow night when the odor away has fully dried.

I am very desperate any idea is wonderful... I am contemplating sticking gum sticks inside the bag so the mint smell will mask the musty smell slightly.

SashaNicole

Mar 4, 2009
I purchased a vintage suitcase that had a musty smell as well. I used my small steamer, the smell is gone. Check online to see how this would effect the leather first if you decide to try it. Good luck.

CGS

Jan 3, 2009
I would saturate cotton balls with my fav perfume and stuff the bag with them, and let them absorb the smell of the perfume-

Otherwise, I dont know what to tell you-

discomom

O.G.
May 20, 2008
i bought an vintage EPI bag -- came from japan. has that musty smell too.. yes, the seller did say it.. so, no questions... but i'm still annoyed.... so i went to LV store last week. Got the lining replaced. its now with the repair shop. but they have to call me if they can still replace the lining with the original mustard alcantara color - since its discontinued.

the estimated price was $165.00 they better not tax me. its not sales - its service.
i can repost in a few weeks when i get it back. hopefully the smell will go away.

csshopper

O.G.
Jul 26, 2008
Don't give up yet! There is a remedy. This was often given as advice on the ebay Purses Board when it was active and lots of knowledgeable experts participated. There is an Odor Removal product that comes in a jar and can be purchased at pet stores. You put the jar in the purse with the top off the jar. Zip the purse closed and put your purse inside a closed container.....box with lid, pillowcase tied closed, trash bag etc. Leave it alone for 4-5 days and then check to see if the odor has been absorbed. The product works by absorbing odors and it's also used by people in the antique business to get rid of musty smells. If the odor in your bag has lessened, but you can still smell it, seal the purse back up with the open jar in it for another few days. The contents of the jar that absorb the odor are solid so they don't leak out into your bag. Sorry, it's late and I can't think what the stuff is called, but a pet store should know what you are describing if you go in to try and buy some. Good luck!

Jayne1

Working Canvas
O.G.
Aug 2, 2006
Toronto
I got directed here from the 'Smokey Bag' thread. So... do the OP solve this?

I had an old leather bag my husband put in the basement for a decade... it was out of sight, out of mind and I forgot I owned it! When I found it again, it also had a musty smell. I did everything I could find on Google, some really drastic, since I wasn't about to carry a bag with a musty smell and everything worked a little but not completely.

When I would put it away for a while, after giving up, the smell would come back, although not as bad. The thing is, even a slight smell is not acceptable and as of now, it is only slight. But we want our bags to smell of leather or nothing at all.

I'm determined to solve this. I'll let you know what I'm doing to get the smell out this time and if it works. :lol:

shelbyjo

Jan 5, 2010
Minnesota
Just another suggestion for those with this problem - There is a "chemical free" company called Norwex (you can google it) and they have a product called (of all things) "Odor Eliminator" and it does work. My very first LV came from an ebay purchase last summer and it had some awful smells, bad smoke among them. I sprayed the odor eliminator inside the purse and then let it sit outside in the fresh air for a couple of days (brought her in overnight) and the smell went away. I left it in the sunshine on my picnic table for a couple of hours each day, I don't know if that helped or not. I was afraid of speeding up the patina process but it didn't affect it at all that I could tell.

msJenna

May 12, 2007
The smell is still there. I've had the bag stuffed in my closet full of news paper for weeks. I have given up on it.

I am surprised it only costs $165 to have the lining replace.

I think I'll just do that then.

The smell is slightly better but I've tried almost everything.

I am totally peeved!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got it to use as my everyday black bag while my Chanel jumbo was being redyed- but my ex surprised me with a black Chanel bag today so that can be my everyday bag while these high maintenance bags are being repaired.

Handbags are like cars I swear!

Oh and thanks for the compliment on my blog. I post whatever comes to mind and my post mate is part comedian so we mess around on it. I think it's pretty cute though!

Curious123

Aug 30, 2010
XXXX Rude post. First warning OP, please read tPF rules if you haven't done so. Continue to be rude will get you banned.

Last edited by a moderator:

joy&lv

Obsessed
O.G.
Mar 20, 2009
Bay Area, California
Try these products. I got the link/idea from one of the deodorizing threads.

http://noodor.com/p/old-book-smell-smelly-books-used-deodorizer-rare.html

It works great. I've bought a few items from Japan and because of the humidity there, it has moldy smell. I used it on a few bags and smell be gone.
The best part is. It is reusable. You just expose it to direct sun and it regenerates the cleaning property. Very green and very effective. My mother use it, too. She just kept it in her Noe while in use or storaged away. I think, it took a couple of weeks but it really works.

They have ones for smoke and even mothballs!

I bought some for solidify vomit (yes, when you have young children, you need it.) It works miracles on getting the smell off your carpet/floor/air.
It is a little bit dusty but you can always vacuum it up!

Last edited:
Reactions: WVgal